The Student Room Group

The "Am I Good Enough For Dentistry" Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Hi Everyone,

I know that most of you will already applied/received offers, but I'm hoping to apply next year as I have had to take a year out due to illness.

I have got:

GCSE's: 1A* 5A 2B 1C (A/A* in maths, eng lit, Biol, Chem and Physics but a B in Eng Lang)
ECDL.

AS: AAB (Chem, Physics and Biology respectively. Retaking a Biol exam and will be predicted an A)

UKCAT: Not taken it yet but I have booked it. I have been getting pretty normal scores in mock though (600-630)

Work Experience: lots of W/E in a private GDP, trying to get a placement in a hospital with a consultant orthodontist.

Extra curricular: I enjoy fishing, going to the gym, and repairing iPads. I am also going to do the EPQ on the history, present and future of dentistry.

Voluntary work: Several months helping out on a ward in a hospital.

Applying to: Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool, (don't know 4th choice)

I have missed a lot of school due to illness over the last 5 years, but I am much better now!

Do you think I could get in? Thanks :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
How important are predicted grades vs actual as levels?
Let's say you get BBBC would u still stand a chance?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi Everyone,
Im im year 10 and I want to study dentistry but I lack a lot of self belief.
I go to a private school and am currently doing IGCSE courses. I work hard but im not as good as others in my year group. A Teaher at my school believe only the top 30% of students can get on to competitive courses such as dentistry, medicine, law and that the rest should completely crush any hopes of achieving a place on one of these courses. I don't know if I should give up and settle with something else or keep trying harder because I know its possible. I've wanted to be a dentist since I was little and I know my heart is for dentistry.

Should i give up or keep pushing ?
P.S: Im an A/B student , (mostly b's) but i have a strong feeling i can turn them into A's
I feel like my situation is a lot different to everyone else's but would appreciate opinions!

My GCSEs are OK, not great 5As (biology chemistry physics english language english literature) 4Bs (maths business music geography) and a C in french- my school's GCSE results are way below the national average and we were told that we only needed the required grades to get into college.

My first attempt at AS levels didn't go well at all, I chose biology chemistry and physics. I made such a mistake in the college I went to and choosing physics (I failed it miserably)

I now go to a sixth form, I do biology chemistry, philosophy, english literature and RE (general studies too but who really counts that) and am predicted all As by the end of this year- next year I hope to do A2 biology chemistry and philosophy. I'm also doing an EPQ on white coat phobia.

I plan to take a UKCAT test in the summer and hopefully do well. I have a week's works experience in an oral and maxillofacial dept in a hospital, I also have 2 weeks in a community dental practice starting 9th of June and am looking into a week at an orthodontics practice. I volunteer at an animal shelter and am looking into volunteer work at a hospice. I have grade 5 flute and grade 4 clarinet, in the past I was in an orchestra for 5 years that worked with disabled people and children.

Sorry for the novel. But do you think I have any chance at all? My main choice would be Leeds uni for dentistry, I've emailed them and they said that they don't mind that I've re-sat my AS year as long as I don't do anymore resits. I am eligible for the access to leeds programme on a lowered entry.
Original post by chipsandfish
How important are predicted grades vs actual as levels?
Let's say you get BBBC would u still stand a chance?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends on the uni, universities such as leeds don't look at AS grades and only consider predicted grades. Other universities such as Newcastle (I think) do look at AS grades. I think predicted grades may be more important, but if you get BBBC and get predicted all As then it may be quite hard to achieve it at the end of your A2 year. I think if you achieved a C at AS it might even be impossible to get an A overall.
Original post by carrellii
I feel like my situation is a lot different to everyone else's but would appreciate opinions!

My GCSEs are OK, not great 5As (biology chemistry physics english language english literature) 4Bs (maths business music geography) and a C in french- my school's GCSE results are way below the national average and we were told that we only needed the required grades to get into college.

My first attempt at AS levels didn't go well at all, I chose biology chemistry and physics. I made such a mistake in the college I went to and choosing physics (I failed it miserably)

I now go to a sixth form, I do biology chemistry, philosophy, english literature and RE (general studies too but who really counts that) and am predicted all As by the end of this year- next year I hope to do A2 biology chemistry and philosophy. I'm also doing an EPQ on white coat phobia.

I plan to take a UKCAT test in the summer and hopefully do well. I have a week's works experience in an oral and maxillofacial dept in a hospital, I also have 2 weeks in a community dental practice starting 9th of June and am looking into a week at an orthodontics practice. I volunteer at an animal shelter and am looking into volunteer work at a hospice. I have grade 5 flute and grade 4 clarinet, in the past I was in an orchestra for 5 years that worked with disabled people and children.

Sorry for the novel. But do you think I have any chance at all? My main choice would be Leeds uni for dentistry, I've emailed them and they said that they don't mind that I've re-sat my AS year as long as I don't do anymore resits. I am eligible for the access to leeds programme on a lowered entry.

Yes - you are in with a chance but given the competition for the course you need to continue to do all you can to further strengthen your application.
Your reference will be really important so make sure your teachers are on side and give a fab reference, perhaps reflecting on your special circumstances ref school/college. Make sure you do the application for access.
You need to check out dental school requirements because unfortunately your choices will be limited by your GCSE grades. Do go to the open days for those unis where you meet the criteria.
Do try and get a bit more/varied work experience and it would be good if you could get another type of volunteering - the hospice would be great if you could get it.
Don't underestimate the UKCAT - aim for an outstanding score so that your application will stand out. Allow plenty of time to prepare and once you have worked through the 600 question book, do as many questions as you can - it is definitely worth investing in online question banks such as medify, UPO etc.
Hi guys, I am a first year doing dentistry. I won't say which school though because I'd rather prefer to remain anon. I've just finished my exams, so I have a fair amount of free time to answer some of your questions, if you guys have any.
Original post by Aillias
Hi guys, I am a first year doing dentistry. I won't say which school though because I'd rather prefer to remain anon. I've just finished my exams, so I have a fair amount of free time to answer some of your questions, if you guys have any.

A lot of you seems to want to the g.c.s.e. Requirements. It's not a big concern, But it's certainly advised that you have as and a*s since the competition is quite high. I'm not too sure about what a good uni is, but I got 652.5 and I got three interviews with that. I think Sheffield was the uni that looked the most at my ukcat. At Manchester I remember at the interviews that ere was a guy who got 610?
(edited 9 years ago)
Birmingham university doesn't have a minimum gcse requirement for dentistry, it just wants A* in bio and chem, as long as you have that, it'll be fine.

UKCAT doesn't/shouldn't take that much time to prepare for, I did 2 weeks of preparation and that was it. Whoever told you that you needed loads of preparation for it, is probably not the best person to ask. I got 660 - 670, i can't remember, was about 2/3 years ago now, i got 3 interviews --> even sheffield gave me an interview.

As long as your AS results are not too bad, you should be fine. I know people who got onto medicine/dentsitry with BBCC at AS, but worked really hard at A2, and got AAA or A*AB after a lot of resits though.

Foreign work experience is a BAD idea if you haven't done at least 2 weeks in a UK clinic. As long as you have that, then foreign work experience would count as supplement and only help you in your application.

Best of luck.

P.S. If anyone is struggling with chemistry, use alevelchemistry, search using google, there's just loads of past paper questions on that. For maths, use examsolutions, search using youtube. For Biology, use the CGP books. It's how I did it.
Hi everyone :smile:

I really want to do dentistry at university and just wanted to know if I am good enough to get offers.

Gcse- 7 A* , 2A ( biology and eng lang) and B (eng lit)

A level- done my as levels, haven't got results but think I've got at least A*,A* A A prediction

Work experience- 2 weeks at one NHS+private GDP, doing 3 days at another and 1 week at yet another in the summer( both NHS+private)
1 year at charity shop, 3 months at Age UK centre helping the elderly, 5 months of chemistry mentoring.

UKCAT- planning to do it in the summer

Thanks very much guys!
good luck on getting into dental school
Original post by BigBangTheory1
Hi everyone :smile:

I really want to do dentistry at university and just wanted to know if I am good enough to get offers.

Gcse- 7 A* , 2A ( biology and eng lang) and B (eng lit)

A level- done my as levels, haven't got results but think I've got at least A*,A* A A prediction

Work experience- 2 weeks at one NHS+private GDP, doing 3 days at another and 1 week at yet another in the summer( both NHS+private)
1 year at charity shop, 3 months at Age UK centre helping the elderly, 5 months of chemistry mentoring.

UKCAT- planning to do it in the summer

Thanks very much guys!
good luck on getting into dental school

As long as your UKCAT is good you'll definitely have a good chance of interviews.
Btw, once you get interviews the only thing that decides whether or not you get an offer is how you perform at interview - your academics etc are irrelevant at this point
Original post by teen1234
As long as your UKCAT is good you'll definitely have a good chance of interviews.
Btw, once you get interviews the only thing that decides whether or not you get an offer is how you perform at interview - your academics etc are irrelevant at this point

Thanks very much and also for your tip. How do you recommend to approach and train for the interview?
Original post by BigBangTheory1
Thanks very much and also for your tip. How do you recommend to approach and train for the interview?

Make sure that you can back up EVERY SINGLE POINT you make in your personal statement with evidence and why it was useful to you!
Reply 1733
GCSE results: 4A* 4A's 2B's

AS predicted grades: AAAA (Biology, chemistry, maths, psychology) - could anyone tell me what grades would be pointless applying with? I'm stuck between applying for dentistry and being rejected everywhere or applying for something else..?

1 week in UK dental clinic
1 week in dental and oral maxillofacial ward in a hospital
No other major work experiences, just shorter periods such as a day volunteering etc.

Planning to get volunteering in a care home

Also would any dentistry students suggest doing the EPQ next year? providing it was dentistry related? also any ideas for topics?
Reply 1734
You've got most of it covered, but the thing you're missing is a long term (about 18 hours over 3 months) volunteering placement. If you can do that with a care home, start now!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1735
Original post by PatAa

AS predicted grades: AAAA (Biology, chemistry, maths, psychology) - could anyone tell me what grades would be pointless applying with? I'm stuck between applying for dentistry and being rejected everywhere or applying for something else..?

No other major work experiences, just shorter periods such as a day volunteering etc.

Also would any dentistry students suggest doing the EPQ next year? providing it was dentistry related? also any ideas for topics?

You've got most of it covered, but the thing you're missing is a long term (about 18 hours over 3 months according to Birmingham uni) volunteering placement. If you can do that with a care home, start now!

I think you need to also show that you have good foundation manual dexterity , so try to find a way of showing that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1736
Original post by mmp97
You've got most of it covered, but the thing you're missing is a long term (about 18 hours over 3 months according to Birmingham uni) volunteering placement. If you can do that with a care home, start now!

I think you need to also show that you have good foundation manual dexterity , so try to find a way of showing that

Posted from TSR Mobile

Does knitting count as manual dexterity? :')
And yes that's my aim right now, getting some long term volunteering in
I deeply regret being lazy for an entire year
Reply 1737
Original post by PatAa
Does knitting count as manual dexterity? :')
And yes that's my aim right now, getting some long term volunteering in
I deeply regret being lazy for an entire year

Yeah knitting counts haha
Yeah, the long term placement is the only thing you're missing

Good luck!
Original post by PatAa

Original post by mmp97
Yeah knitting counts haha
Yeah, the long term placement is the only thing you're missing

Good luck!

In my view you should definitely try to get some more relevant work experience over the Summer. Although you have 2 weeks, which is the minimum requirement, most applicants have more. It is great that you had the hospital based week (which most aren't able to secure) BUT I think Manchester, for example, required at least 2 weeks in GDP because this is the environment where you will work, at least initially.
You say you are stuck? because of the fear of rejection. Remember that if you are unsuccessful you can always apply for other courses through UCAS extra.
Finally, one thing that you do need to be successful is a genuine passion for Dentistry - you need passion and drive to get you through the demanding application process. All worth it though, because if you are well suited to dentistry, it's a fabulous course. Good luck!
Reply 1739
Hi,
I am applying for dentistry, and just graduated with a 2.1 in Biomedical Sciences.
Do you think i have a chance of getting in?

A levels: BBBc (Bio, Chem, Maths, Physic)
GCSEs: 5As, 4Bs, (1C and 1D)
Work Exp: 3 (week each) Dental Clinic Placements, One week in oral maxillofacial surgery department,
Voluntary Work: Need to Work on it this Summer
UKCATSEN : Preparation Mode

(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest