The Student Room Group

The "Am I Good Enough For Dentistry" Megathread

This thread is for all those 'do I have a chance' and 'am I good enough' questions.

For an idea of entry requirements look here.
(this is not the most up to date so please don't rely on it.

Please also check out:
Dentistry Work Experience Guide
Frequently Asked Questions for Applying to Dentistry
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
so yeaa woaaaaah
Reply 2
Have a look on their websites for entry requirements, though im pretty sure that the majority or all of them want biology atleast to AS
Reply 3
I want to do dentistry and was wondering if my results so far are good enough as i have just had the results from my january exam.

GCSE: 2 Distinctions 1 A* 4A's and 3 B's

AS level unit one january exams:

Biology A

Chemistry B (3 ums off an A, should be able to build on it to an A)

Sociology A (100 % on exam will be an A* if i keep up the standard)

Graphic Design A
Reply 4
anyone ?
Reply 5
Is work experience abroad in countries such as India useful?

If it is (which it probably is, i'm guessing), what kind is best? I mean is it crucial to have done it with larger institutions such as 'Projects Abroad', or is it okay to sit in with smaller private dentists?

Has anyone done this before and found it useful, or that universities appreciate work experience with larger organisations more as it is more in depth perhaps?

Thanks. :smile:
Reply 6
thanks JJ, could have elaborated abit though :/
SamD1992
thanks JJ, could have elaborated abit though :/

That's not what you asked for though :P

They're fine, as long as you can get chemistry to an A you've got no worries. Work experience is vital though.
Reply 8
thanks vertigo, going to try and get plenty of experience
Reply 9
Asking this question for my friend's sister.who wants to go into dentistry...... Well, she has 2A*s, 8As and 1C ( in english Language) would and A in english literature make up for this grade C?
I'll keep and eye on this as I've got a C in English Lang and an A in Lit too, although I'm looking to study for a BA.
Reply 11
I got a C at GCSE english and applied for dentistry. It does hinder your chances as most schools want at least a B. I'm resitting it this year, it is worth trying to resit if possible to bring the grade up.
Reply 12
The Toffy
I got a C at GCSE english and applied for dentistry. It does hinder your chances as most schools want at least a B. I'm resitting it this year, it is worth trying to resit if possible to bring the grade up.

When would you recommend to sit it.
Reply 13
Orihime
When would you recommend to sit it.

Well i think you could resit it during alevels as it doesnt require too much work. I'm currently on a gap year resitting my alevels cos i got ABB so am resitting GCSE english now as well.
Reply 14
--
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
The Toffy
Well i think you could resit it during alevels as it doesnt require too much work. I'm currently on a gap year resitting my alevels cos i got ABB so am resitting GCSE english now as well.

Do you know if GCSE lit at grade A would compensate for the C in english lang..
She cant resit at june because of AS exam, would it be okay if she sat it during A2s? She would of applied to unis by then...
Reply 16
I don't think it would. It depends on the university and which course you are going to do. Usually, it tells you what kind of grades they want if you look on their prospectus. Mind you, this would be the minimum requirements i.e. better to get higher
Reply 17
hyun
I don't think it would. It depends on the university and which course you are going to do. Usually, it tells you what kind of grades they want if you look on their prospectus. Mind you, this would be the minimum requirements i.e. better to get higher

Have you even read my opening post?
Reply 18
Orihime
Do you know if GCSE lit at grade A would compensate for the C in english lang..
She cant resit at june because of AS exam, would it be okay if she sat it during A2s? She would of applied to unis by then...

I don't like english lit would compensate but i'm not sure as i got both C's. I think your best bet is to email the unis and ask them. As for resitting during A2, A2 is harder than AS so it'd be better if she could resit it this year. But yeah i'm sure she could

C in english lang will seriously hinder your chances. resitting it would be the best option but it is important to realise that even that will look bad on the application form even if a good grade is achieved at the resit.

Quick Reply

Latest