The Student Room Group

How much damage can a ****** conclusion do to a good extended essay?

Well i did my Higher History Extended Essay a few hours ago, soooo glad it's over! :biggrin:

problem is i ran out of time towards the end and had to rush, so my conclusion ended up being one of those summarise-everything-in-a-few-lines type of conclusions that i use in my class essays, how much do you think this would affect the essay if the intro + development were good?
Reply 1
I did exactly the same thing, mine was a week ago. You can get a max of 6 marks (correct me if I'm wrong!) for your intro and conclusion (Structure). I got a total of 2 in my practice, so it probably won't make much difference if you do well in the Argument (out of 12) and Knowledge (also out of 12) parts. I was more worried about my analysis than anything!

What topic did you do and how did you think you did despite your conclusion? :wink:
Reply 2
Sarurrr
I did exactly the same thing, mine was a week ago. You can get a max of 6 marks (correct me if I'm wrong!) for your intro and conclusion (Structure). I got a total of 2 in my practice, so it probably won't make much difference if you do well in the Argument (out of 12) and Knowledge (also out of 12) parts. I was more worried about my analysis than anything!

What topic did you do and how did you think you did despite your conclusion? :wink:

My question was "How important was Hitler's leadership in the rise of the Nazis upto 1933?"

i think (well, hope!) i did well :biggrin: my history teacher was pretty pleased with it so i'm hoping i got enough marks to get an A!

my hand almost fell off when I finished, it was only about 4 pages long typed up but when I wrote it out it ended up being 6 and a half :eek:

what was your topic?
Reply 3
"To what extent was WW1 a factor in the collapse of the Tsarist state?"

I did ok, tried to get in more analysis and more of an intro and conclusion for the final and hoping it worked, I got 17/30 for the practice. Secretly hoping I managed to get 5 extra marks on top of that instead of just 1 or 2 :wink: I used narrow lined paper and it was only about 3 pages long, then we got the wide ruled and it was about 3 pages longer? My hand too...! Haha. Good luck with your results :smile:
Reply 4
thanks, you too :smile:
Reply 5
Three marks is the most you can lose I think. Our teacher said we should consider the structure as three for intro, three for conclusion, but I'm not sure if that's how they actually mark it. I can't see you losing more than three though. :smile:
Reply 6
Hey, good luck with your essay - I have read many of these extended essays and have seen that a crap conclusion can mess it all up. You need to give a overview [not in too much detail because this is meant to be done in the essay] and then make sure that this is coherent and has a good flow. You can't write from an angle and you need to be head on, and give a balanced equation. You cannot answer your questions but just give two sides, or whatever your discussing. Just make sure you don't write "I" or include yourself in it :smile: Hope this helps
Reply 7
I know someone in my class who had their whole conclusion saved as a text in their phone...

And no it wasn't me and i don't condone this, i f***** my essay up! My hopes for an A have diminished i think : /
Reply 8
Quite a big difference I think it's like 5 marks. Introductions are more important though, start well and you draw the reader in.

Latest

Trending

Trending