The Student Room Group
Not always...I think the ones where you do double the work are called something different (sorry I don't know exactly but it's a mate that did one!). My course is History & Politics where the History is 85% and the Politics is 15% so it still adds up to the same.
Reply 2
martindomin
I notice that you can do, for example, a degree in Politics or a degree in say Law and Politics. How can you do two courses and is it, as it seems, and double the work?

Thoe workload etc is still the same as for a degree in a single subject, broadly speaking. Joint honours just means that you split your time between 2 subjects. Sometimes its 50-50, sometimes 60-40 etc etc...it varies from course to course.
For Joint honours courses:
Generally AND courses are split 50:50 Law AND Politics would have the UCAS code of LM21 or ML12
WITH courses are split 67:33 Law WITH politics would be M1L2, Politics with law would be L2M1

Courses that are worth 2 complete degrees (and usually involve 2 dissertations) are have the words Double Honours in the degree title and generally last 4 years. They're extremely rare.
Reply 4
Thanks, am I right to assume that a Law AND X degree carries less weight with employers as a Law degree?
Reply 5
It depends on the course. Did u have anything in mind?
Reply 6
Law And Politics
Reply 7
At where? Don't really know too much about Law and politics degrees as ive not come across too many. I know other combinations, such as Law and Business can be held in equal regard by employers - certainly those at Warwick did as well as those who did the "straight" law degree. I guess it depends on what you want to do with it. If you go into constitutional law, for instance, the political element might be more useful, but as I say im not sure. Are there any other Law and Politics people about?
Reply 8
Edinburgh
Reply 9
martindomin
Edinburgh

Edinburgh generally is well respected..but see my above (edited!) post!:smile:
Some courses invariably you will end up doing more work for a joint honours course. I believe someone I know who is going to Reading for English and Classics sits two of the three English papers that English students sit and two of the three Classics papers that Classics students sit so is in effect doing more work than if she were to have opted for a single honours course.
Reply 11
Has anyone done a Law and Politics degree then?
Reply 12
You are interested in working in Scotland then as Edinburgh will be Scottish law not English?

Latest

Trending

Trending