The Student Room Group
:confused:
Reply 2
Call up admissions. Nothing's stopping you from asking them, but I'd say the chances are very slim, unfortunately :frown:
not really, that's their decision. one of my friends has had this and has decided to go deferred!! good luck!!
Reply 4
Ask the university! There's nothing you can loose in the end...
Reply 5
Once a uni has given you an offer, i don't think they can just take it away without a valid reason?
Reply 6
python38
I applied to a university for entry in 2010, but, on UCAS, it says they've deferred my offer to entry in 2011.

To cut a long story short, I really, really, REALLY want to go there, but I'm very hesistant to go to university a year late; I simply don't want to take a gap year.

Is there any chance I can get them to un-defer my offer? How do I go about doing this? Who do I call? What do I say? (It's a collegiate university, if that helps.)

If you know anything about this, PLEASE please please help; I would love to go there, but I have some very good reasons not to take a gap year. Thanks ever so much! :s-smilie:

I think they might have deferred it because I'm quite young (I'm 16; if I went to uni this year, I wouldn't turn 18 till 2010.) I emailed them before applying, and they said that, if I applied for entry in 2010, a panel of people would decide what to do with my app; if I applied for entry in 2011, my parents would just have to sign some consent forms. (I have another offer, however, and that's for entry in 2010 though it doesn't appeal to me half as much.)

However, I'm not sure if they simply didn't have any spaces left, as well (I'm a home student who applied to one of the most popular universities for Law on around midnight at 15th January.)
You won't be going 'late' if you are only 16 now. The uni - wisely in my view - wants you to be a bit more grown up before you join them. You can try ringing them up to see whether they might change their minds, though I doubt it. However, I would strongly suggest that you tone down this stuff about how it *has* to be this year that you go to uni.
python38
I applied to a university for entry in 2010, but, on UCAS, it says they've deferred my offer to entry in 2011.

To cut a long story short, I really, really, REALLY want to go there, but I'm very hesistant to go to university a year late; I simply don't want to take a gap year.

Is there any chance I can get them to un-defer my offer? How do I go about doing this? Who do I call? What do I say? (It's a collegiate university, if that helps.)

If you know anything about this, PLEASE please please help; I would love to go there, but I have some very good reasons not to take a gap year. Thanks ever so much! :s-smilie:

I think they might have deferred it because I'm quite young (I'm 16; if I went to uni this year, I wouldn't turn 18 till 2010.) I emailed them before applying, and they said that, if I applied for entry in 2010, a panel of people would decide what to do with my app; if I applied for entry in 2011, my parents would just have to sign some consent forms. (I have another offer, however, and that's for entry in 2010 though it doesn't appeal to me half as much.)

However, I'm not sure if they simply didn't have any spaces left, as well (I'm a home student who applied to one of the most popular universities for Law on around midnight at 15th January.)

If you went to uni, and weren't legally allowed to drink. You can kiss goodbye to any kind of a social life.

Don't go to uni when you're only 16.
Why do you want to go to uni so desperately when you're only 16? I had the opportunity to go at 17, because that's when I finished my A levels, but was nowhere near mature enough! I tried some courses to see what I was interested in/what suited me. I have some part time work this year, and am doing a short course with the OU to get back into the habit of working, so I've definitely learnt some life lessons!

I've effectively taken two gap years, but spent the first year trying academic stuff and the second year saving up etc. I now feel much more ready to go to university at 19 and feel I'll be able to benefit the most from it because I know I'll love the course/uni, and will hopefully feel a lot more up for joining in etc. A break and maturing a bit helps you realise that.

I'm not saying it's for everyone - different people mature at different times - and then, of course, there's the mature students who don't go to university until later in life. But this definitely worked for me, and I'd recommend it to anyone.
By this point they've probably filled up all their spots for the coming year anyway.

I'm also curious why you're so desperate to go to uni that young.
Reply 10
python38

I'm guessing Durham? What do you mean by "I'm very hesistant to go to university a year late"? You'd still be going early even if you waited til next year. It seems they've considered it and decided they want you to wait. However, if your reasons are as good as you say and the uni is not already aware of them, it wouldn't hurt to ring up and ask if they're willing to reconsider. People might be able to help you more if you explained what these reasons are, but if you don't want to, just ring the uni and find out. I'd guess the law admissions department would be the best place to call. Presumably the number is on the law dep website. I'm sure they'll direct you to whoever you should be speaking to if not them.
Reply 11
python38

I'm 16; if I went to uni this year, I wouldn't turn 18 till 2010

?? It's 2010 now.

Latest

Trending

Trending