The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'll be 21 too :frown:
Reply 2
I started with someone that was almost 30. Its a regular occurence
21 isn't really mature these days. You won't be the oldest; not by a long way. Put it out of your mind and just relax and make friends.
Reply 4
Me three, :biggrin: Only just though, my 21st is a week before term starts! I think it's a bonus, added experience and all that. I definatly know what I want to do now, I think I'm more likely to stick at it then if I'd have gone at 18. (I don't tend to stick at things for very long :p: ) I also don't think it's really that uncommon for people to be older when they start!
Reply 5
Don't worry about it. I was 18 when I started uni but I met quite a few people who were 21 (or over) and nobody even bothered about it! When you're at uni, nobody really asks your age, it isn't an issue. One of my friends is still at uni four years after he started (long story) and he is now 26 and still partying with the freshers lol. You're only 21, you'll be fine.
The university course my friend started on last year - everyone was older than her. She was the youngest at 18; everyone else was in their 20s, 30s and a woman even commented saying "my grand daughter is your age"

You'll be fine!!
Reply 7
Seriously, you're worrying about nothing. I know so many people who took 1 or 2 gap years and are slightly older. No one even notices. Age becomes irrelevant - you just become a fresher like everyone else. and 21 is hardly classed as a mature student!
It's fine. One of my housemates took a gap year and then dropped out. His 21st is next week and I still think he's about my age :P
Reply 9
Thanks guys, nice to see a few other 21's starting uni :smile:
Reply 10
Don't be silly, nobody will even know you're any older unless you tell them. You'll be fine.
Reply 11
I'll be turning 22 a month before uni, but I don't think it'll be a problem. Classmates at college are always surprised when I tell them my age. Whether that's a good thing or not, I don't know.
Reply 12
I went back to do a foundation degree before I got preggers and I was 20 - my friend called me a Dinosaur but it was just a joke, I fit in fine and I made some really good friends. Most of my friends are either years older or a few years younger then me. It doesn't matter about age, you either gel or you don't. I wouldn't worry about it, everyone will be in the same boat and hoping to make friends - unless you tattoo 'I'm 21, stay away' on your head..I don't think they're going to care much!
Reply 13
im 24, you have nothing to worry about
I'll be 23 when I start in September and I think the extra years of wisdom will work in our favour. I'm SO glad I didn't go to university when I was "supposed" to, because I'd have wasted all that time and money on a degree I didn't really care about and would probably not be putting to use five years later. But we've all had an extra bit of time to mature, and we know more about ourselves and what we want from life. So enjoy the parties with 18 year olds, but then employ your maturity to work hard for something you're passionate about :smile:

Good luck to everyone!
I'll be 27 when I start so, err, yeah, top that!
Reply 16
I'm going to start my course at the age of 25.

By the time Christmas comes round I'll be 26.

When the course finishes. I'll be 29. And your worried your not going to fit in :P I'm going to be an old boy.

@Harry Putah. I don't feel so old now. lol
Reply 17
Don't worry I started at 22 and now I am finishing at 26, but there were lots of people in their 20s - 30s when I started there wasn't much 18-20 year olds.
I'll be 23 when I start uni and have thought similar about fitting in. Being 23 is the least of my worries. The main worry is it being found I am a chef! That's going to be hell in halls!

Actually, I might be able to make some money haha
don't be suprised if about a quarter of people on your course are 20+ - from what my mates who are at uni have said, there are a lot of people who are mature in their behaviour, but also a lot who are immature and wild because it's their first time away from home... i'm gonna be 21 when i start and most people i know who are starting in september are at least 19...

Latest

Trending

Trending