The Student Room Group
Reply 1
They won't really care either way, unless you make it sound like you're only apply because of famliy pressure. But it won't impres them.s
Reply 2
My school gave priority to those who already had sibilings there as it would be easier if they went to the same school.

Uni's won't care as you should want to go there yourself, not because your family went!
Reply 3
They won't care.
They won't care - unless you are applying for a US or Canada university where sometimes they offer discounts on tuition fees if you have a sibling at the same university.
They won't care and most likely won't know who your relatives even are. Unless in an interview they asked why did you choose this uni I suppose you could say you had visited because your brother or whatever goes there and were very impressed and had always wanted to go etc but they would never give you any priority just because you had relatives there.
depends. if your relatives were ****s they might not want you.
Post number 3 basically. It kind of matters if you want to go school/sixth form. But I don't think unis give a ****.
No. No one in my family has been to uni and it didn't affect my chances of getting in :biggrin:
The UCAS form will ask you whether your parents went to university, but this is really used for statistical purposes so that they may gauge the background you are coming from. If anything, they may look upon you more favourably if you are the first generation of your family to go to university. However, they won't know the details of specific universities that your parents/siblings went to and won't care.
Reply 10
F1 fanatic
The UCAS form will ask you whether your parents went to university, but this is really used for statistical purposes so that they may gauge the background you are coming from. If anything, they may look upon you more favourably if you are the first generation of your family to go to university. However, they won't know the details of specific universities that your parents/siblings went to and won't care.

But wouldn't people be able to lie about whether their parents went to uni? (especially if they studied another country) :eek:
-Batman
But wouldn't people be able to lie about whether their parents went to uni? (especially if they studied another country) :eek:

yes... but it's really not worth the effort, and if they found out that you lied on your application then there would be reasonable grounds to withdraw your offers. It's mainly used for statistics as I said, rather than driving decision making.
Reply 12
F1 fanatic
yes... but it's really not worth the effort, and if they found out that you lied on your application then there would be reasonable grounds to withdraw your offers. It's mainly used for statistics as I said, rather than driving decision making.

Thank you very much. [+rep] :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending