The Student Room Group
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website

Brunel Court Internet

Hello People :smile:,
I'm going to be starting at uclan in September and got myself a nice little place at Brunel Court, i noticed that they seem to have there own Wi-Fi, does anybody know if its any good? And anybody coming here for September? :biggrin:
Cheers
Tom :smile:
Reply 1
I'm heading into brunel for my 2nd year in sept.
As far as I know the wifi is pretty new there and the old internet used to be rubbish.
Would also like to know if anyone living there could give us more information :smile:
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website
Reply 2
Also if anyone knows, if I have already sorted out my accommodation myself do I need to do anything else? like apply for something on that new online application thingie :P or do i just need to wait till august for results and hopefully enrollment :P
Reply 3
Tchantler
Also if anyone knows, if I have already sorted out my accommodation myself do I need to do anything else? like apply for something on that new online application thingie :P or do i just need to wait till august for results and hopefully enrollment :P

wait you've signed a contract with brunel court even though you might not get into uclan?
that's a bit risky you must be confident with your grades

I don't think you'll have to do anything on the online application as you've done it yourself but maybe ring them up just to check
Reply 4
Well i already have the minimum required grades for my insurance choice which is at UCLAN so dont really see a problem of not getting in really
Reply 5
My sister lived in Brunel for her final year while I spent my first year in iQ Kopa. I think it's a lovely place with a lot more room than Kopa and it's cheaper :smile: Yay! I was told that the internet could be a little slow but the library is close and slow internet happens everywhere now and again so I'm excited to move in. Does anyone know what room they are in? Also, what date are we allowed to collect our key and move in?
Reply 6
I'm in my second year and am staying at Brunel. The internet is one of the bad points about the place. It's absolutely shocking, as in it often takes 3 or more tries to get to a webpage even with good signal strength. Downloading anything takes a long time, it's not too bad but it can be anywhere between 10-90 Kb/s. I really hope they sort something out. Uclan halls had a brilliant internet connection.
Reply 7
How current is this information? I'll be moving in 2012 and I would like to know about the internet speeds.
Reply 8
Original post by JohnC2211
How current is this information? I'll be moving in 2012 and I would like to know about the internet speeds.

I'm at Brunel right now... don't know about the speed but it's absolutely awful :| Had to refresh this page 5 times to load it all properly. Unless you're lucky and have a room next to a router then it disconnects itself all the time. Best off buying your own.
Reply 9
Original post by Plastz9209
I'm at Brunel right now... don't know about the speed but it's absolutely awful :| Had to refresh this page 5 times to load it all properly. Unless you're lucky and have a room next to a router then it disconnects itself all the time. Best off buying your own.

Are you allowed to buy your own internet in Brunel Court?
Reply 10
Are you allowed to buy your own internet in Brunel Court?

Yes you can, when we asked Dave about a month ago he said you could as long as it wasn't wireless ... but a girl in my flat has some sort of wireless device and nothing has been done about it. It's definitely worth getting your own, I'm looking into a dongle soon.
Reply 11
I read loads of bad stuff about Brunel Courts internet last year, but ignored it and took out a contract anyway!
The internet really is as bad as people say, sometimes it will be pretty good and load fast, then it'll randomly cut off and not reconnect for hours. TV online is also sometimes impossible but it is bearable.
The security at the front desk makes you feel safe, but sometimes TOO safe. You can have people round but if they sign in at the desk (which they are meant to) when scurity are there, they have to leave by 11pm. You can get guest passes for people to stay overnight but it is a big of an arse ache to be honest!
Reply 12
That sounds like lawson halls security, was like tryin to get past bouncers in a club! I am going to be in brunel in sept so I'm just gonna get a dongle I think to sort the net out.
Here's a heads up for those of you looking for accommodation for UCLan in 2012...DO NOT PICK BRUNEL COURT!

-Internet works in brief 10 minute periods at random times throughout the day, plus its slow when it does work and sites that don't need to be blocked seemed to be. I live pretty near the routers and I've had weeks with no internet whatsoever!
-There's no guests allowed back as security are very tight; making it a hassle to have friends stay over.
-The games room does not have any games in it, the pool tables are unplayable and the darts have been removed.
-The place is damp and has a very unpleasant smell, with frequent visits from silverfish and hench spiders.
-Nothing ever seems to get fixed.
-The laundry hasn't been cleaned in years.

Personally, I'd recommend moor lane, kopa or leighton!
(edited 12 years ago)

I live there now and I've posted a bit of an essay about the place (look at #14) and I'm a pretty optimistic person!
Original post by Herbivore92
I live there now and I've posted a bit of an essay about the place (look at #14) and I'm a pretty optimistic person!

Oh dear, I already have my room booked for next year! I'll have to make do, I suppose. How they haven't had millions of complaints I don't know if conditions are as bad as you describe.
Reply 16
I didn't think you could choose your room? You just simply chose en-suite or not and they allocated you a place? ...and I didn't think we could do this 'til mid-April?
Original post by shezshez
I didn't think you could choose your room? You just simply chose en-suite or not and they allocated you a place? ...and I didn't think we could do this 'til mid-April?

yeah you can request a room I think, some of my mates there this year all chose a room together
Oh dear, I already have my room booked for next year! I'll have to make do, I suppose. How they haven't had millions of complaints I don't know if conditions are as bad as you describe.

I made do its just an absolute arse-ache and can't wait to live elsewhere next year, people do complain and they make steps to improve things but especially internet-wise it never fully solves the problem. Some people manage with internet but I live in g06 quite near reception and all my flat mates struggle too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending