The Student Room Group

A Levels To Be Chartered Accountant

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Warrior078
I want to be a chartered accountant and I just want to know if these are the right A Levels I have chosen:
Maths (Statistics)
Economics
History
Physics (Dropping it in A2)

They're good subjects in my own opinion.
I mean if you wanted you could take Further Maths instead of history in my opinion to build on your base in maths but that's the only suggestion I can think to make
Original post by Warrior078
I want to be a chartered accountant and I just want to know if these are the right A Levels I have chosen:
Maths (Statistics)
Economics
History
Physics (Dropping it in A2)

They look good in my opinion- don't worry about history maybe seeming slightly irrelevant, my mum did a history degree then became a chartered accountant so it can be done!

My cousin did a degree in French and Spanish then the same thing, so don't be afraid to do what you want even up to degree level as long as it's a respected subject (as history is), you'll be fine if you get the grades (especially maths) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by Waabis
Hello guys! A quik question from me.
I am at the end of GCSE and am starting A-Levels in September 2013.
My A-Level choices-

Maths
Chemistry
Physics
Further Maths
Geography

In the start I wanted to do engineering but then I thought of Chartered Accountancy. I cannot change my options now, so I wanted to know is it still possible to get to the top uni's and then become a Chartered Accountant, with these subjects? Please help!

Yep your A Level choice is good
Hey,
I want to be a Chartered Accountant too and for my A-levels I'm going to take:
-Accounting
-Economics
-Business Studies
I know that top unis like LSE require you to do at least Mathematics or if possible Futher Mathematics too but thats just LSE. ICAEW has no such requirements. In fact it doesn't even care what subjects you take and only requires two passes. And that's because things are taught from the basics and everything is covered. People coming from totally irrelevant backgrounds like Arts, Sciences manage to ace ICAEW exams. Good luck!
Reply 24
to do accounting and finance, A-Level maths isn't needed. (THANK GOD) Loooool but i'm guessing maths will be essential if i wanted to get into chartered accountancy?
umm okay so im planning on becoming a chartered accountant too but i did my o levels in science so taking accounting in a levels is a bit hard for me which is why im not taking any other commerce subject.
so the sunjects im planning on taking are accounting,ict,math/stat and i need a forth subject but i dont know what to choose. i was thinking about picking one of the science subjects but i don't know which one. so help please.
and do tell me what you think are the best subjects for this field. i was planning on taking eco too but i don't know if i'll be able to manage both. is it important?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 26
i want to remain open most gates for futuer

.math physics chemistory what will be the additional one for CA
4 subjects are a lot you knowim not sure which subjects i should take ive read in places that Maths isnt that important you just need to know arithmeticim planning on taking business,economic and accounting?are those not enough?^
4 subjects are a lot you knowim not sure which subjects i should take ive read in places that Maths isnt that important you just need to know arithmeticim planning on taking business,economic and accounting?are those not enough?^
im starting my A levels on September 2017 and i just gave my IGCSE O level exams in science and language so i have no knowledge about subjects such as accounting and business(im currently reading the business o level text book) and ive decided to take the following subjects to become a CA
1.economics
2.accounting
3.business
ive heard that fmaths is not required and statistics isnt important as well
any advice on what i should do? or if i should take tuition's for the o level subjects?
Hi I'm doin A level business economics and law to move on to being an charted accountant is this good or what. Appreciate the help plz
i have physicschemistry mathsand i want to go for cawhat to do
Hello,I am starting my alevels this year and I am going to choose accounting,business studies and economics.I want to ask that for CA these would benefit me in future or shall I opt different subjects?
Hello,I am starting my alevels this year and I have decided accounting,business studies and economics.I want to ask if for CA these would be beneficial or shall I opt different subjects?
I am a chartered accountant and did Maths. physics and Business studies at A level. The business studies was good, confirmed i wanted to be in the world of business.
I don't think i have used much, if any, of the A Level maths, as accounting isn't using complex maths at all. But it shows you are happy with numbers.

Degree was in accounting, which meant i could avoid the first year of ACA exams as it covered the same topics, no help for the other 2 years.
Plenty of people become accountants having done history or English degrees. doing the Business or Maths before just confirms you like that sort of thing and would (probably) enjoy being an accountant.

Didn;t realise this thread was so old, but i'd probably do some variety in the A Levels - as those 3 are quite samey and may raise questions from interviewers.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest