Is computer science for me?....

I am in year 12 and need to start looking at universities,
i am currently studying:
(predicted grades)
Psychology A
Maths B
Geography B
ICT A

I really like computers, i build my first computer at age 12, and know alot alot computer hardware, i now have a high end I7 gaming rig and am a participating member of many computer hardware enthusiast forums. I have never had experience in programming ..but it looks fun

So would this type of knowlege help me in computer science? and do you think computer science is for me, considering so far i have only learnt alot about comptuer hardware etc...as a hobby
or are there other copmuter courses i have not heard about? are there some that would mean employment would be easier for me>?

also what are the jobs you can get into with computer science...other than the obvious...

Scroll to see replies

I think it would be a little bit of a problem that you don't have Physics. Whilst I don't think it's mandatory at certain universities, it's often preferred, as a friend of mine found out.
Reply 2
Most universities ask for Physics and Maths at A level for Comp Sci as far as I know. :holmes:
Reply 3
antipesto93
i am currently studying:
(predicted grades)
Psychology A
Maths B
Geography B
ICT A

I really like computers, i build my first computer at age 12, and know alot alot computer hardware, i now have a high end I7 gaming rig and am a participating member of many computer hardware enthusiast forums. I have never had experience in programming ..but it looks fun

So would this type of knowlege help me in computer science? and do you think computer science is for me, considering so far i have only learnt alot about comptuer hardware etc...as a hobby
or are there other copmuter courses i have not heard about? are there some that would mean employment would be easier for me>?

also what are the jobs you can get into with computer science...other than the obvious...

...uh, ICT =/= Computer Science.
At all.
Nor does "I know how to put together a computer", or "I know a few facile tidbits about how RAM Clock Speeds affect the overall speed of the machine". No offence, but you'd really be best off seeing what you're actually in for first.

I'd suggest getting hold of an A-Level Computing textbook and going over it. If you like what you see, particularly in the more technical parts (CPU design, assembly code, binary notation, algorithms, and databases, for example), you should be alright.

AQA Computing's CPT4 module is one that I'd recommend having a look at- that one's very much the "make or break" content.

Also, for God's sake man- learn a programming language.
You don't know what you're planning on spending the next three years of your life doing- for a great many people who otherwise love tinkering with Computers in all forms, the actual nitty gritty aspects of programming are as attractive as a night under the sheets with Gordon Brown.

Pick up a guide, and teach yourself Python or C#. Learn the basics of database structure. See if you can still stomach the thought of three years of your life consisting of nothing but that. Heck- talk to a few CS students and see what they're doing.

I was dead set on Computer Science until relatively recently. Can't thank my lucky stars enough that I stopped myself.
Reply 4
I had the same hobbies as you before I went into A-level Computing and my mind was set on doing comp sci at uni. This really changed when started the a-level course, the stuff we learnt so boring and the teachers didn't make it any more better.

So yeah, I would re-search into the course, see the stuff that they'l teach, and see if you're interested, otherwise, you're going to spend 3 years dying of boredom
Reply 5
Most computer science courses place little emphasis on hardware, so an enthusiasm for cutting edge consumer technology won't be particularly beneficial to the course.

You need to start looking into the academic aspects of the course itself. I'm sure programming 'sounds fun' but it can be very tedious and frustrating. As with many other compsci students I enjoy playing games and tinkering with computers but the stuff you learn has nothing to do with that. The only thing in common is the computer itself.

I thoroughly recommend you to read books on Computer Science and get a feel of programming. I read Dewdney's New Turing Omnibus as a starting point - it introduces you to different areas of computer science; you might not understand all of it but if you find some of the concepts interesting computer science might be a course seriously worth considering.

About the jobs - you can do your own research there by checking the computer science department websites at different universities. The course is very mathematical so you're attractive to many employers besides the obvious.
Reply 6
MewMachine
I think it would be a little bit of a problem that you don't have Physics. Whilst I don't think it's mandatory at certain universities, it's often preferred, as a friend of mine found out.

I think Physics is only preferred because of it's high mathematical content. I'm sure there are other subjects that would also be suitable. I imagine Chemistry would be ok too.
Psyk
I think Physics is only preferred because of it's high mathematical content. I'm sure there are other subjects that would also be suitable. I imagine Chemistry would be ok too.

Chemistry is one of subjects you could have used to get into my course.

To the other posters; now lets be fair to the guy, most people have no idea what they are getting themselves into before doing Computer Science and get along just fine. I certainly had no idea before I started.
Reply 8
MewMachine

Nonsense. I don't have physics or maths at A-Level and I averaged a first in my first year of CS and am on course to do the same this summer.

OP: I'd suggest talking to some admissions tutors and discussing the courses to get a feel for what CS content is really like, because most people don't really know what they're applying for until they start, which is why CS suffers a lot of dropouts.

Your grades are fine for most places, though.
Reply 9
Don't be mislead into thinking that compSci is all about putting computers together - it is nothing like that.

I suggest you spend some time with one or maybe a few programming languages, then make the decision.

And what jobs? Well that's homework for you to do.
Reply 10
so most of it is programming?
Reply 11
antipesto93
so most of it is programming?

No. Programming is just a tool for the implementation of ideas. CS covers a lot, most of which is mathematical.

Most of a CS degree will consist of things like: Graph theory, logic, optimisation, calculus, complexity theory, statistical modelling and probability theory, etc.

You'll get abstract maths, AI is massively statistically driven, and then you'll get things like Newton, Euler, Jacobi methods, which are a different angle on the core mathematical principles, specifically to do with writing efficient algorithms to compute accurate approximations of solutions, to their respective problems, within as few iterations as possible.

If you think CS is going to be about programming and spreadsheets, you should go elsewhere.
Reply 12
Planto
No. Programming is just a tool for the implementation of ideas. CS covers a lot, most of which is mathematical.

Most of a CS degree will consist of things like: Graph theory, logic, optimisation, calculus, complexity theory, statistical modelling and probability theory, etc.

You'll get abstract maths, AI is massively statistically driven, and then you'll get things like Newton, Euler, Jacobi methods, which are a different angle on the core mathematical principles, specifically to do with writing efficient algorithms to compute accurate approximations of solutions, to their respective problems, within as few iterations as possible.

If you think CS is going to be about programming and spreadsheets, you should go elsewhere.

I suppose you could say CS is about programming in the same way that English Literature is about writing things down. Yes good grammar, spelling and sentence structure is an important thing to know, but really the subject is about the ideas that are expressed in writing.
Psyk
I suppose you could say CS is about programming in the same way that English Literature is about writing things down. Yes good grammar, spelling and sentence structure is an important thing to know, but really the subject is about the ideas that are expressed in writing.

Nicely put.
Reply 14
TheQueenOfComputerScience
Nicely put.

Agreed. I've always drawn comparisons between CS and other subjects when trying to describe what it's really all about, but that analogy was particularly effective.
Reply 15
Psyk
Yes good grammar, spelling and sentence structure is an important thing to know

Hah. I've just noticed the irony of this sentence:biggrin:
You can tell I didn't do English at uni.
Reply 16
Psyk
Hah. I've just noticed the irony of this sentence:biggrin:
You can tell I didn't do English at uni.

I like how everyone was nodding in approval of your analogy as well! And there I was thinking computer scientists were good at spotting errors :p:.
RealmHack
I like how everyone was nodding in approval of your analogy as well! And there I was thinking computer scientists were good at spotting errors :p:.

Errors in code and logic, not in stinking English grammar!
Reply 18
TheQueenOfComputerScience
Errors in code and logic, not in stinking English grammar!

Or maybe we're just not that pedantic :mmm:
Reply 19
antipesto93
i am currently studying:
(predicted grades)
Psychology A
Maths B
Geography B
ICT A

People who are saying you need physics are chatting absolute bubbles in a nice way, the only one you'll struggle to find a uni without is maths.

I've just applied for computer science for this september and received offers from all 5 Uni's I appied to - Bham, Warwick, Keele, Manchester and Nottingham.

I have absolutly no experience in programming or to be quite honest anything to do with computers but this didn't seem to be much of a problem for me. I had two interviews and was basically just honest about my lack of exprience.

Latest

Trending

Trending