The Student Room Group

Jazz Society

Scroll to see replies

I got it on the day it came out. 1st week of feb.
Didnt even know it was the release date :colondollar:
Destiny :drool:
It so was :coma:

last.fm anyone?
Top Ten on Ipod Playlist (I'm in a certain mood I guess :p:)

Billie Holiday
• I Loves You Porgy
• My Man
• I Cover the Waterfront
• God Bless The Child
• Good Morning Heartache
• Lady Sings the Blues
Alicia Keys
• Un – thinkable (I’m Ready)
• Love is Blind
Sade
• The Moon and The Sky
I do love Billie Holiday :suith:
My top artists and played music are here :p: - Clicky
You have good taste :top:
Eclectic Styles

The genre that is my favourite, however, is Smooth Jazz. I am probably the only one of about dozen student-aged guys/girls in this coutry that likes this genre of Jazz (that weren't introduced to it by friends or at a party or something like that). :rolleyes:

Enough of the dryness, though. In truth, Smooth Jazz is root of my `admiration` for Jazz. To many people, it sounds like, well, `elevator music`. You could be right for thinking that, especially when you hear some artists like Russ Freeman & The Rippingtons. For the most part, however, the music that is Smooth Jazz is a well-defined, stable blend of Pop, original R'n'B, Funk and Contemporary Jazz. It has it's critics but the following of the genre is strong and you need only look at the dozens of artists and bands (several of which who have made a name for themselves) who complement the genre.

Would you guys like anything else, then? :rolleyes::wink2:

Haha! Someone else who likes Smooth Jazz, thought I was the only one in the country. Nice to know there are others :smile:

What do you think of Boney James?

KitKatFrench
Haha! Someone else who likes Smooth Jazz, thought I was the only one in the country. Nice to know there are others :smile:

What do you think of Boney James?

Boney James, eh?

The urban man with the plan, taking it up with the sax and the smooth chills of a midnight train ride through the winding streets of a moonlit city...

Hmmm, yes, I would have to say that I do like some of his stuff. I used to really like it but then I started listening to other artists as well, such as Darius (up top) and Antoine (up top) and Pieces of a Dream (although they are more Soul and R'n'B, really)...

Here's my favourite song from POAD:
http://www.we7.com/track/Pieces?trackId=642292&m=0

I must say, it's a slightly odd notion to me that there was anyone else in the UK that enjoyed Smooth Jazz as well. In the States, where it was born and developed, it's following is only so large and only certain states (cities even!) have large enough fanbases to warrant setting up radio stations for it as a main base of music. It is pleasing to hear, nonetheless....

Who would you consider to be your 3 most favourites (or even most listened to) artists in the Smooth Jazz genre?
----------------------------------------------

To the thread in general: it is good to see this Society being propped up so keep it up people!
Can I join the society?
BrassPioneer
Can I join the society?
Absolutely :h:
Eclectic Styles

Who would you consider to be your 3 most favourites (or even most listened to) artists in the Smooth Jazz genre?
----------------------------------------------

To the thread in general: it is good to see this Society being propped up so keep it up people!

Hmm, definitely Boney James and Konstantin Klashtorni. Picking a third is difficult as I have a lot of different artists I listen to, I quite like Marion Meadows.

Yourself? :smile:
Stricof
Hello all :h:
So it doesn't seem like there's a society for lovers of Jazz and its variants.
I thought it would be great if there could be somewhere we could discuss our favourite artists, songs, instruments and what not.

Also, it may be a good place to talk about events that we may be going to see :biggrin:

So how about it? Who's interested :h:

Dude!! This is a GREAT idea man!!
I wanted to reply your message, but your inbox is full man! you're too popular!!

P.S. There should be a youtube vid here, I hope people can see it..

Lyrics

Spoiler

KitKatFrench
Hmm, definitely Boney James and Konstantin Klashtorni. Picking a third is difficult as I have a lot of different artists I listen to, I quite like Marion Meadows.

Yourself? :smile:

Chuck Loeb, Larry Carlton and lastly it would be Norman Brown (changes between him and Steve Oliver).

It can be pretty tricky to choose one between all of em'. Well, no, some of artists are just tooooo cheesy :wink:, but erm...I can say that without having listened to Smooth Jazz, I probably never would have gotten into Jazz at all. And I really think that may have been the case.

Thank goodness I did! :yep:

I'm all at sea...
where no-one can bother me...
I sleep by myself...
I drink on my own...
I don't speak to nobody...
I gave away my phone...

Like I'm wondering there's something inside my soul...
Pleaswe just let me rot here on my own
Later on you can spend some time with me...
if you want to..

allllllll at seaaaa...

Now I need you...
More than eveeerrr...

If you don't need me everyday..
But sometimes you just do...
Dissappear within my mind...
You'll never know what you might find...

We will spend it all...
allll at seaa...
--------------------------------

Yeah, I butchered the lyrics quite badly, but still, that's a far better lyrical combination than any of the thousands of other songs out there that talk about depression and wanting to get away from everyone...

...and, at least by the end, there is hope for better times ahead...
Lee Ritenour - Night Rythms
http://www.we7.com/track/Night-Rhythms?trackId=1367106&m=0

The Bass on this one is just brilliant...

...that's actually harder than it sounds to keep in rythm with the Guitar and Drums...

EDIT: This is the Extended version, the one Ritenour normally plays when he's Live.
jakemittle
Dude!! This is a GREAT idea man!!
I wanted to reply your message, but your inbox is full man! you're too popular!!

P.S. There should be a youtube vid here, I hope people can see it..

Can't see it.

You may wish to change the formatting of the video, i.e. the definition (quality), size of the vid and all that...

It might display once you do that, unless it's just a dud link.
Eclectic Styles
Can't see it.

You may wish to change the formatting of the video, i.e. the definition (quality), size of the vid and all that...

It might display once you do that, unless it's just a dud link.

I believe it works now :biggrin:
Hum hum hum...waiting for this place to be an offical soc. But recruitment drive may be needed :yep:
Stricof
Hum hum hum...waiting for this place to be an offical soc. But recruitment drive may be needed :yep:

Yeah, errrmmm...

...maybe a bit more than that, not many people on TSR appreciate Jazz.

Here's hoping...

Quick Reply

Latest