The Student Room Group

Jazz Society

Scroll to see replies

Stricof
Are you going to see anyone live in the future?

:top2:

I seriously need to but at the moment my lack funds for extracurricular activites has limited my chances of attending any events for the next few months. However, I would love to attend some concerts next year while I'm in the UK probably featuring Corinne or Coldplay if they're touring.
AliciaJ703

I seriously need to but at the moment my lack funds for extracurricular activites has limited my chances of attending any events for the next few months. However, I would love to attend some concerts next year while I'm in the UK probably featuring Corinne or Coldplay if they're touring.
Oooh Coldplay will be quite dear.....im not sure. Not more than i paid for Buble lol
You'll love Corinne if she does the UK again next year. She did a 4 hour gig (not including the sideline guests) :coma:
Stricof
Oooh Coldplay will be quite dear.....im not sure. Not more than i paid for Buble lol
You'll love Corinne if she does the UK again next year. She did a 4 hour gig (not including the sideline guests) :coma:

I know I will need to save my pennies for Coldplay because their recent concert in Atlanta was quite expensive. But, a 4 hour gig is what I'm talking about. :p: That's so awesome.
AliciaJ703
I know I will need to save my pennies for Coldplay because their recent concert in Atlanta was quite expensive. But, a 4 hour gig is what I'm talking about. That's so awesome.
That is true. But you'll find good deals in the UK. The Jazz bars are sublime. The big names average £25-30 so not too bad. Unless its like Buble where the cheapest is £40 and the most expensive is £110 :s-smilie:

I may be in NYC next year so I shall have to wonder if there will be awesome stuff there too :h:
Stricof
That is true. But you'll find good deals in the UK. The Jazz bars are sublime. The big names average £25-30 so not too bad. Unless its like Buble where the cheapest is £40 and the most expensive is £110 :s-smilie:

I may be in NYC next year so I shall have to wonder if there will be awesome stuff there too :h:

Most definitely, NYC is the entertainment capital of the US. :p: You will experience lots of 'awesome stuff.' :yep: I will certainly check out Jazz clubs in the UK, I bought a London travel guide book which includes a section on music/venues/clubs.
Oooh Im listening to this :coma:

AliciaJ703
Most definitely, NYC is the entertainment capital of the US. You will experience lots of 'awesome stuff.' I will certainly check out Jazz clubs in the UK, I bought a London travel guide book which includes a section on music/venues/clubs.
Oh brilliant. I don't want to just see shopping outlets :p: That would possibly make 4 years there rather boring :p:
Indeed. And if the guide doesn't help you much, there is always Ticketmaster in which you can search and buy tickets online :yep:
Stricof
Oooh Im listening to this :coma:

Oh brilliant. I don't want to just see shopping outlets :p: That would possibly make 4 years there rather boring :p:
Indeed. And if the guide doesn't help you much, there is always Ticketmaster in which you can search and buy tickets online :yep:

So you're doing undergrad in NYC? There are tons of stores but no shopping outlets or malls within the city limits. I will check it out (Youtube clip).
AliciaJ703
So you're doing undergrad in NYC? There are tons of stores but no shopping outlets or malls within the city limits. I will check it out (Youtube clip).
I may be going to Columbia University if I don't go to uni here. Im still deciding. They're still thinking about giving me a scholarship or a grant of somesort because the tuition fees are a killer in the States :p:
But it would be interesting to study there too...culturally and the style of teaching too...
But yes :biggrin: Check out the video :biggrin:...the quality is a bit rubbish though...:sigh:
Stricof
I may be going to Columbia University if I don't go to uni here. Im still deciding. They're still thinking about giving me a scholarship or a grant of somesort because the tuition fees are a killer in the States :p:
But it would be interesting to study there too...culturally and the style of teaching too...
But yes :biggrin: Check out the video :biggrin:...the quality is a bit rubbish though...:sigh:

That would be wonderful if you chose Columbia plus you get the chance to retrace all the Jazz history in NYC starting in Harlem. I've just listened to it and it's really good. :yep:
AliciaJ703
That would be wonderful if you chose Columbia plus you get the chance to retrace all the Jazz history in NYC starting in Harlem. I've just listened to it and it's really good.
Thats really really awesome! Please tell me I can do that as a unit in University :p: But Im generally interested in all History. I was the only boy in my college do do my final coursework assignment (20% of the whole subject) on the Womens suffrage movement....:laugh:
Apparently Chris Rock still does local stand up in Harlem....?
Stricof
Thats really really awesome! Please tell me I can do that as a unit in University :p: But Im generally interested in all History. I was the only boy in my college do do my final coursework assignment (20% of the whole subject) on the Womens suffrage movement....:laugh:
Apparently Chris Rock still does local stand up in Harlem....?

The best thing about US uni/colleges is the fact you have the options/requirements to take coursework outside your major. Music courses should count as a fine arts requirement but check the website of Columbia regarding the types of music courses but at the very least a course on the 'History of Jazz' should be included. I knew something was special about you (referring to assignment on women's suffrage). :smile: Yes, Chris still tours but I'm not sure what his current schedule entails so check his official website out. Also, you can visit New Orleans, LA -the birthplace of Jazz. :yep:
AliciaJ703
The best thing about US uni/colleges is the fact you have the options/requirements to take coursework outside your major. Music courses should count as a fine arts requirement but check the website of Columbia regarding the types of music courses but at the very least a course on the 'History of Jazz' should be included. I knew something was special about you (referring to assignment on women's suffrage). :smile: Yes, Chris still tours but I'm not sure what his current schedule entails so check his official website out. Also, you can visit New Orleans, LA -the birthplace of Jazz.
New Orleans is quite a trek from NYC :p:
Ah yes that would make sense. They may ask if I have a certain grade in musical instruments/theory?
Heh heh...Im special :blush:
And something to show you about Melody Gardot, when i saw her.
Stricof
New Orleans is quite a trek from NYC :p:
Ah yes that would make sense. They may ask if I have a certain grade in musical instruments/theory?
Heh heh...Im special :blush:
And something to show you about Melody Gardot, when i saw her.

Don't worry, you can take the trip with friends during the infinite school breaks you will experience. Usually, introductory courses do not require a prerequisite course so you should be fine. Interesting (Melody Gardot).
AliciaJ703
Don't worry, you can take the trip with friends during the infinite school breaks you will experience. Usually, introductory courses do not require a prerequisite course so you should be fine. Interesting (Melody Gardot).
Haha awesome.
Okay, I saw tickets for Bailey Rae coming out on sale tomorrow at the Santa Barbara Bowl...in Santa Barbara, CA....playing with Norah Jones :gasp:!!
A tad of a trek for you though :p:
Stricof
Haha awesome.
Okay, I saw tickets for Bailey Rae coming out on sale tomorrow at the Santa Barbara Bowl...in Santa Barbara, CA....playing with Norah Jones :gasp:!!
A tad of a trek for you though :p:

I can't go, I'm leaving soon for my early summer vacay with funds only allotted for this only. :emo: Norah is coming to Atlanta next month but I'm not attending. :frown:
AliciaJ703
I can't go, I'm leaving soon for my early summer vacay with funds only allotted for this only. Norah is coming to Atlanta next month but I'm not attending. :frown:
Ah thats alright
What do you think of Big Band songs?
e.g.
Stricof
Ah thats alright
What do you think of Big Band songs?
e.g.

I have to admit I'm not a big fan of Big Band. :o: However, I've been listening to Alice Coltrane a lot lately.
AliciaJ703
I have to admit I'm not a big fan of Big Band. However, I've been listening to Alice Coltrane a lot lately.
Recommend me some of her songs :biggrin:?
Stricof
Recommend me some of her songs :biggrin:?

- my fav right now

AliciaJ703

- my fav right now

They're quite unorthodox to Johns style of playing....mystical even? Especially journey in satchidananda :p:
The genre of Jazz I listen to depends on my mood though. I'll listen to unconventional Jazz like Acid if Im running
Like this

I forgive you if you dont like it :p:

Quick Reply

Latest