The Student Room Group

Medicine Rejection / Interview Appeals

Hi,
I was wondering has anyone in the past or this year appealed after recieving a rejection before or after interview. If so has it lead to any positive outcome ? Maybe a offer or interview?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Pointless.
Reply 2
2klthor
Pointless.

Did you try one ?
Reply 3
Unless you have incredible extenuating circumstances I would say it is incredibly unlikely.
Reply 4
Hyperbole08
Hi,
I was wondering has anyone in the past or this year appealed after recieving a rejection before or after interview. If so has it lead to any positive outcome ? Maybe a offer or interview?

Clearly you are asking this because you intend to appeal. Do you have any extenuating circumstances or unfair treatment on which to base an appeal? Because if not, your rejection will still be a rejection. Pointlessly appealing for no reason will not change that outcome, an appeal needs to based on you being unfairly treated in some way.
Reply 5
Very much pointless..too much competition
Reply 6
just reapply like the rest of us.
Reply 7
If there are extenuating circumstances, then I would definately recommend that you appeal. If not, then like others have said, there iss pretty much no point in you wasting your time.
Unless you have extenuating circumstances, I really wouldn't. You don't want to ange the gods that are the medical school admissions team. They are tired and overowrked and barraged with communication from paranoid wanna be med students as it is. Take the year out, do extra work experience, get a job, reflect a little more, improve the PS and come back stronger and more determined next year (with some monies to pay for things). Most unis from what I've seen will invite you to interview if you pass the academic criteria. That is non-appealable. If you couldn't get your teachers to predict you the right grades, or if you didn't do that well in the UKCAT/BMAT/other entrance test, that's not the med schools fault you should have appealed before now to the entrance exam board or your teachers. Then the rest is on interview performance and PS. These require specific skills and confidences. Maybe you didn't come across as confident as you thought you did, or maybe you didn't demonstrate the qualities they are looking for as well as some of the other candidates. Work on it, and try again next year. Good luck :smile:
Reply 9
i have a friend who appealed on results day, called in as soon as he got his results he called literally all the medical schools, and ended up getting 3 offers, 1 of which is a top 10 uni.
Yeah, appeal to somewhere that doesn't want you. I can see that ending well...
Reply 11
No chance tbh
Reply 12
Lu-x
No chance tbh

Phalanges
Yeah, appeal to somewhere that doesn't want you. I can see that ending well...

its happened before.
Reply 13
I know of someone who appealed after getting feedback because according to their interview score they should have received an offer or been put on the waiting list but were outright rejected. They were reinterviewed and subsequently received an offer.

Very rare though. You are much more likely to just antagonise them.
najeezy
its happened before.

Calling up all of the medical schools on results day ≠ appealing against a rejection.
Reply 15
Original post by najeezy

Original post by najeezy
i have a friend who appealed on results day, called in as soon as he got his results he called literally all the medical schools, and ended up getting 3 offers, 1 of which is a top 10 uni.

Hey I really need ur help! It's regarding someone I know who got rejected from all 4 uni's, but he has got excellent grades and he is not missing out on anything, eg work experience, bmat, ukcat, personal statement. All of them were brilliant. Even in his GCSE's he got 7 a* and 5 a's, highest of his school history... We all think it is an unfair decision by all uni's and want to appeal. But you said that 1 of ur friends got offers AFTER results day? Isn't that too late though? I really need to get in touch with your friend asap, as the matter is really urgent. I would really appreciate it if you could help me out... I think u might be our last chance of help. So plz plz help :frown:

Ps. u can even send me a private message if you prefer. I think that's better. Thank you so much!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
I am in the same boat 8 A* 2 A at GCSE predicted AAA at A level loads of work experience no interviews
Reply 17
Original post by daniel44
I am in the same boat 8 A* 2 A at GCSE predicted AAA at A level loads of work experience no interviews

Layena90
Hey I really need ur help! It's regarding someone I know who got rejected from all 4 uni's, but he has got excellent grades and he is not missing out on anything, eg work experience, bmat, ukcat, personal statement. All of them were brilliant. Even in his GCSE's he got 7 a* and 5 a's, highest of his school history... We all think it is an unfair decision by all uni's and want to appeal. But you said that 1 of ur friends got offers AFTER results day? Isn't that too late though? I really need to get in touch with your friend asap, as the matter is really urgent. I would really appreciate it if you could help me out... I think u might be our last chance of help. So plz plz help

Ps. u can even send me a private message if you prefer. I think that's better. Thank you so much!

It's a great shame when people with fantastic grades etc are rejected. However, my view on it is that while one uni might reject someone with a perfect application by accident, the chance of all 4 doing so is pretty slim, so you (or your friend, in Layena's case) really need to take a good hard look at your application, and see where they might have found something they didn't like. Work out what it is, ask us for advice if you like, and fix it for next time.

Layena, it's great that you're supporting your friend like this, but complaining that it's "unfair" and trying to get universities to change their decision is not the mature way to deal with it. Also, ringing up on results day, while it might work for your friend, is not his "last chance of help" - there's always next year if needed. Don't give up so easily.
Reply 18
thanx for the advice I am gonna take a gap year and re-apply as you said there is deffo something wrong with my application must be P/S any advice greatly received
Reply 19
Original post by daniel44
thanx for the advice I am gonna take a gap year and re-apply as you said there is deffo something wrong with my application must be P/S any advice greatly received

Best of luck!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending