The Student Room Group

engineering-where to apply

Where to apply?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys,
i am in IB 2 right now and want to apply to unis in USA for next year
I am planning on doing mechanical engineering,
And i have NO IDEA on hoe to choose my colleges....
like i am expecting around 38/39 in total but have no idea where to apply!
right now, i am thinking of
MIT, UPENN, Cornell, Brown, Tufts, Duke, Michigan...
guys, am I aiming too high?
I now the 1st few i have written are really good and are all Ivy league....is there a ranking within the Ivy league? and which is the easiest to get into in the Ivy league or are they all equally hard to enter?
i feel like i have selected the best unis and everything, but have i also chosen universities that are of my standard and also ones that are like backup unis?
If i havent pls help me do so!!
Thanks a lot!
home home
Reply 1
Ivy league universities aren't so well known for engineering, with the exception of Princeton and Cornell. UPenn is particularly nice because you can apply for a double major in engineering and business, so I think half your degree comes from Wharton (but you'll have to check this).

MIT is probably the best, but it's extremely difficult to get in as an international student (~3% acceptance rate). Others that I would recommend are Stanford, Berkeley, Duke, Caltech, Michigan, Carnegie Mellon and Georgia Tech.

You're not aiming too high. US admissions are pretty random and unpredictable, so the more you apply to, the higher your chances of getting something.
homehome
Where to apply?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys,
I now the 1st few i have written are really good and are all Ivy league....is there a ranking within the Ivy league? and which is the easiest to get into in the Ivy league or are they all equally hard to enter?
i feel like i have selected the best unis and everything, but have i also chosen universities that are of my standard and also ones that are like backup unis?
Thanks a lot!
home home

Cocopop's right - the Ivies aren't too well-known for engineering.

I'd aim for Cornell realistically and hope for MIT/Pton. Admissions are incredibly random and competitive (and this is not overhyped), but it doesn't hurt to try.

I don't know if your IB predicted grades are high enough for MIT though :/ I know of somebody who was predicted 42, received 45 and was rejected. Just make sure you've got some other hook/high SAT II scores.

PS. The Ivy League is a sporting group, of which MIT is not a member (fantastic university though). :wink:
Reply 3
homehome
Where to apply?

Hi guys,
Thanks a lot!
home home

First of all, they are all great universities, but they arent all Ivy League, as was stated previously, The Ivies are a sports league...

That being said all are great unis, but perhaps you should add Purdue and California Institute of Technology, as good as MIT but not as well known...also for engineering, the undergrad uni is important, but where you go for grad school means even more...

Latest

Trending

Trending