The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

accommodation advice for future erasmus student in leicester university???

hello everone!!
i ll study in leicester university in a few months as an erasmus student and i would really appreciate some information about the rooms!!
i dont know if the rooms offered to eramsus students are the same offered to normal students...
what i am more worried about is shared bathrooms...
i would like to have a room with a bathroom that i ll be the only one to use... is this possible? which halls should i prefer??
also will i be able to bring friends to spend the night in my room?
and final question: using bus or buying a bicycle?

thanks a lot in advance!!

i am really looking forward to studying and living even for a short period there!!!leicester university seems pretty cool!!:smile: :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hey!

First of all are you under or postgraduate?
You should chose your hall of residence depending on that:
-city living has more postgraduate students
-oadby village has more undergraduates

if you want your own bathroom, you should take an "ensuite room", a bit more expensive but well...

for the bus or bicycle it depends where you stay:
-city living is really close to uni, you can walk
-oadby village is 20 mins bus away from what I heard and the buses can be packed so you can consider taking a bike, but that means riding it even in the rain... :/

hope it helps!
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 2
erasmusgirl
hello everone!!
i ll study in leicester university in a few months as an erasmus student and i would really appreciate some information about the rooms!!
i dont know if the rooms offered to eramsus students are the same offered to normal students...
i would like to have a room with a bathroom that i ll be the only one to use... is this possible? which halls should i prefer??

i am really looking forward to studying and living even for a short period there!!!leicester university seems pretty cool!!:smile: :smile:

Go here: http://www.le.ac.uk/international/

It's funny, becuase my Erasmus year last year was in Athens! :biggrin:
Reply 3
poupee-thedoll
Hey!

First of all are you under or postgraduate?
You should chose your hall of residence depending on that:
-city living has more postgraduate students
-oadby village has more undergraduates

if you want your own bathroom, you should take an "ensuite room", a bit more expensive but well...

for the bus or bicycle it depends where you stay:
-city living is really close to uni, you can walk
-oadby village is 20 mins bus away from what I heard and the buses can be packed so you can consider taking a bike, but that means riding it even in the rain... :/

hope it helps!

i am undegraduate student...
i ll come with a friend of mine and we are also thinking of the possibility to rent an apartment in the city... if we stick to that will we be able to rent a place only for 4 months? are the prices of the apartments high in leicester? but also i want to be part of the whole student community in the uni... u know, meet more ppl... this is why i am asking all these questions about the university accommodation...
which one u think is better?

thanks a lot about your information!!! i really arrpeciate it!!
Reply 4
QwentyJ
Go here: http://www.le.ac.uk/international/

It's funny, becuase my Erasmus year last year was in Athens! :biggrin:

thanks a lot for your help!!!
hey what did u think about athens... completely different than uk ah?

i am also student of history and archaeology....:smile:
Reply 5
erasmusgirl
thanks a lot for your help!!!
hey what did u think about athens... completely different than uk ah?

i am also student of history and archaeology....:smile:

Yes, it was completely different from the UK! I had a rollercoaster year - I was in the middle of the riots when young Alexander was killed. Do you study at the National & Kapodistrian Univeristy? If you are a 2nd year, I might well have seen you last year when there were Archaeology and History lectures! :biggrin:
Reply 6
erasmusgirl
hello everone!!

Freemans Common is where almsot all Erasmus students live, so you should try to move in there. Alternately Nixon Court.
They're 5 minutes walk from uni at msot, so you won't need either a bike or a bus.
Bathrooms will be shared tho, but not with many others. In Freemans you share a bathroom with 1 or 2 others per floor max afaik.
Brining a friend to spend the night over is no problem (the condom industry would go downhil if it was)

You should check out the erasmus society on facebook. They can help you with many of your questions. http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=27612184245&ref=ts
Reply 7
QwentyJ
Yes, it was completely different from the UK! I had a rollercoaster year - I was in the middle of the riots when young Alexander was killed. Do you study at the National & Kapodistrian Univeristy? If you are a 2nd year, I might well have seen you last year when there were Archaeology and History lectures! :biggrin:

wow... this was a crazy period for greece... u were unlucky!
however i hope u enjoyed your time here...did u visit any islands?:wink:
yea i am a student of the National and Kapodistrian Uni!
but i am a 3rd year... pity! if we had met i would have already someone to show me around in leicester...:p:
(although i hope i ll meet many cool ppl and make new friends when i come!!)
Reply 8
KLL
Freemans Common is where almsot all Erasmus students live, so you should try to move in there. Alternately Nixon Court.
They're 5 minutes walk from uni at msot, so you won't need either a bike or a bus.
Bathrooms will be shared tho, but not with many others. In Freemans you share a bathroom with 1 or 2 others per floor max afaik.
Brining a friend to spend the night over is no problem (the condom industry would go downhil if it was)

You should check out the erasmus society on facebook. They can help you with many of your questions. http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=27612184245&ref=ts

i ll come with a friend... so i guess it is possible to stay with her right? can we put that condition (to stay together) when i apply for the accommodation?
i have read so much in here about oadby village and how great time students have there... i hope it is the same for Freemans Common and Nixon Court!!
u were really helpfull... thanks a lot...:smile:
Reply 9
erasmusgirl
i ll come with a friend... so i guess it is possible to stay with her right? can we put that condition (to stay together) when i apply for the accommodation?
i have read so much in here about oadby village and how great time students have there... i hope it is the same for Freemans Common and Nixon Court!!
u were really helpfull... thanks a lot...:smile:

I tihnk you can put o nthe application form (if you get one as an erasmus student anyway) that you want to live i nthe same buildign as certain people.
In Freemans you party jsut as hard, if not harder. They have some legendary erasmus parties (as almsot all erasmus students live there). So you get a very international atmosphere.
But its a preference issue. If you want to live with britsh students, you might find oadby more pleasurable, eventh oits much further away from campus. But consider that in oadby msot will be 18 year old first years. I have noticed that many exchange and foreign students, especialy if you're over say 20, can feel very much out of place in Oadby.

edit: i added you on facebook if you don't mind
Reply 10
erasmusgirl
wow... this was a crazy period for greece... u were unlucky!
however i hope u enjoyed your time here...did u visit any islands?:wink:
yea i am a student of the National and Kapodistrian Uni!
but i am a 3rd year... pity! if we had met i would have already someone to show me around in leicester...:p:
(although i hope i ll meet many cool ppl and make new friends when i come!!)

I should say! I lived in Kaningos street in Exarchia when it happened - the tear gas, police and rioters were right below me! I did - I couldn't get out of Athens much due to the work, but I did spend 5 days in Santorini and it was lovely! I should have gone to Mykonos, in hindsight.

I might well still have seen you last year. As I attended classes with Sofia Aneziri, Kostas Burazelis and Nikos Birgalis. I was always in the library too - so I'm sure we walked past one another at some point!

I might be in Leicester next year for a Masters, so we shall see! :smile:
Reply 11
QwentyJ
I should say! I lived in Kaningos street in Exarchia when it happened - the tear gas, police and rioters were right below me! I did - I couldn't get out of Athens much due to the work, but I did spend 5 days in Santorini and it was lovely! I should have gone to Mykonos, in hindsight.

I might well still have seen you last year. As I attended classes with Sofia Aneziri, Kostas Burazelis and Nikos Birgalis. I was always in the library too - so I'm sure we walked past one another at some point!

I might be in Leicester next year for a Masters, so we shall see! :smile:

at last i am sure u have a strong memory to remember...:s-smilie:
oh well..myconos is a pretty crazy place... not so traditional anymore...:biggrin: full of crazy ppl every summer...:woo:

i have attended their classes too,mr. burazelis is the one sending me to leicester, he is a great mind a very good person!
oh.. and btw, good luck with the masters thing...:yep:
Reply 12
erasmusgirl
at last i am sure u have a strong memory to remember...:s-smilie:
oh well..myconos is a pretty crazy place... not so traditional anymore...:biggrin: full of crazy ppl every summer...:woo:

i have attended their classes too,mr. burazelis is the one sending me to leicester, he is a great mind a very good person!
oh.. and btw, good luck with the masters thing...:yep:

I prefer the islands that are not so crowded anyway!

No way?! Ask Professor Buraselis is he knows a student from Britain last year called Jonathan! That's me! :smile:
Reply 13
QwentyJ
I prefer the islands that are not so crowded anyway!

No way?! Ask Professor Buraselis is he knows a student from Britain last year called Jonathan! That's me! :smile:

i will ask him... i will probably meet him next week...
there are so many papers and applications i have to prepare and he is helping me out these days... :smile:
did u like his class? Roman history u attended, right?
Reply 14
erasmusgirl
i will ask him... i will probably meet him next week...
there are so many papers and applications i have to prepare and he is helping me out these days... :smile:
did u like his class? Roman history u attended, right?

Excellent! Ah yes, the millions of sheets they give you are ridiculous!
I had him for Hellenistic Greece I think - I did an essay on the Political structure of the Aetolian League. He was really helpful during my time at Athens - a great teacher!
Reply 15
QwentyJ
Excellent! Ah yes, the millions of sheets they give you are ridiculous!
I had him for Hellenistic Greece I think - I did an essay on the Political structure of the Aetolian League. He was really helpful during my time at Athens - a great teacher!

hello!! Mr. Bourazelis and Miss Rapti send their greetings...Mr Bourazelis was so busy these days and i managed to find him only today!!! i can assure you that you and your work made a great impression to them... :yep:
i hope leicester professors will have the same opinion about me after i leave...:cool: :p:
Reply 16
do any of the rooms have balconys? cos that smoking policy is fascism gone mad
Reply 17
fight the power!

:cool:
Reply 18
erasmusgirl
hello!! Mr. Bourazelis and Miss Rapti send their greetings...Mr Bourazelis was so busy these days and i managed to find him only today!!! i can assure you that you and your work made a great impression to them... :yep:
i hope leicester professors will have the same opinion about me after i leave...:cool: :p:

Ah that's lovely! I'm glad to hear they still remember me!

If you work hard enough, there's no limit to what you can achieve! :smile:
Reply 19
George26
do any of the rooms have balconys? cos that smoking policy is fascism gone mad

No, I'm pretty certain that none of them do.

Latest

Trending

Trending