The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yep, and it's also useful for when you finish uni and need to get a job, and buisinesses are literally crying out for language graduates...yay for all us linguists!
Sabrosa
Yep, and it's also useful for when you finish uni and need to get a job, and buisinesses are literally crying out for language graduates...yay for all us linguists!

It's good as well cause I want to be working in my third year so I can earn some money in the middle of uni hehe :smile:, plus I was advised by a German student in England not to go to a German Uni cause they'll all want to talk English lol
Sabrosa

Aaah I just noticed you're doing the exact course I'm applying for!!! Lucky!!! What was your offer??? What did you get in German AS?? Then A2? Sorry I'm just desperate to get onto that course!
Reply 4
what_a_shambles
Aaah I just noticed you're doing the exact course I'm applying for!!! Lucky!!! What was your offer??? What did you get in German AS?? Then A2? Sorry I'm just desperate to get onto that course!

At Kings?? I had to go to an interview, and my offer was BBC, (but i ended up getting AAB). I got a B in German AS and A2, despite getting 52/105 in one of my modules, lol!
Reply 5
what_a_shambles
It's good as well cause I want to be working in my third year so I can earn some money in the middle of uni hehe :smile:, plus I was advised by a German student in England not to go to a German Uni cause they'll all want to talk English lol

Really, aaawww! I wanted to go to a german uni. Mneh, well...
Sabrosa
At Kings?? I had to go to an interview, and my offer was BBC, (but i ended up getting AAB). I got a B in German AS and A2, despite getting 52/105 in one of my modules, lol!

Yeah I'm applying to Kings, Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool, Nottingham + Cardiff. Aiming for Kings or Manchester ideally!! Well done :smile:, I just missed the B grade in my AS :frown: BY THREE marks!
Reply 7
what_a_shambles
Yeah I'm applying to Kings, Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool, Nottingham + Cardiff. Aiming for Kings or Manchester ideally!! Well done :smile:, I just missed the B grade in my AS :frown: BY THREE marks!

Unlucky! I got a really low B in my AS, but i just retook my speaking and comprehension modules. I wanted to apply to Liverpool, but when i looked they didn't do the course...?
Sabrosa
Unlucky! I got a really low B in my AS, but i just retook my speaking and comprehension modules. I wanted to apply to Liverpool, but when i looked they didn't do the course...?

They do German and English and according to my friend who goes there you can opt for all language and linguistic modules, which is what I'd do. I'm retaking everything cept the speaking
Woo hoo for the linguists!
I'll be doing German at Leeds! :biggrin:
afireinside©
Woo hoo for the linguists!
I'll be doing German at Leeds! :biggrin:

Tut go the mighty reds :tongue:

What was your offer and what did you get?...I'm just trying to find all this out, thanks
Reply 11
what_a_shambles
I'm retaking everything cept the speaking

You should mention that in your personal statement, just so that the unis know.
Sabrosa

Is that the kind of thing you need to say? I'm really stuck on writing that thing at the moment, but I'm working on it.
Reply 13
what_a_shambles
Is that the kind of thing you need to say? I'm really stuck on writing that thing at the moment, but I'm working on it.

Ummm...i basically said lots about why i love german and linguistics and want to do it, mentioned some stuff that i've done for the school, if i got good marks in modules i mentioned them, and i just said that i'm repeating the german modules. And i very briefly talked about my hobbies.
Sabrosa

I wouldn't really recommend that..
Sabrosa
Ummm...i basically said lots about why i love german and linguistics and want to do it, mentioned some stuff that i've done for the school, if i got good marks in modules i mentioned them, and i just said that i'm repeating the german modules. And i very briefly talked about my hobbies.

Aaah right thanks, that's really useful cause I just didn't know how to start, I've been getting hold of a lot of Linguistics text books and stuff to get like the idea of it. Did you do English Language A Level?
Reply 16
what_a_shambles
Did you do English Language A Level?

Yeah i did but i don't think it's necessary. From what i've heard, the first year of linguistics at university is pretty much the english language a-level...so it doesn't really matter if you've done it or not!
Reply 17
afireinside©

Well i put it and i got offers from all the unis i applied to
Sabrosa
Yeah i did but i don't think it's necessary. From what i've heard, the first year of linguistics at university is pretty much the english language a-level...so it doesn't really matter if you've done it or not!

It's my best subject lol and German's my worst, but I love it. It's really hard to combine the two ideas in the personal statement you know so it's not to biased either way. I'm having trouble working anything much about German into it!
afireinside©

Why not???

Latest

Trending

Trending