The Student Room Group

Law Prep for a Fresher

Hey, I've studies law previously at A-level and before i start my 1st year i am trying to prepare and equip myself with knowledge that will aid me in preparation for my LLB course.

So does anybody have any personal or published guidelines to what makes a good law essay, or any examples of a good essay so that i can feel for the standard expected!?

I have been given the book " How to write Law essays and exams" by DR S.I Strong, has any read this publication if so what do you make of it? Does anybody else have any publications that they would recommend?

Is there anything else you would recommend me doing, for good prep for my course i.e. reading certain newspapers, visiting certain websites!?

Also, any info you think relevant on what i should expect from my LLB course!?

Thanks in advance 'taya
Reply 1
Latayah
Hey, I've studies law previously at A-level and before i start my 1st year i am trying to prepare and equip myself with knowledge that will aid me in preparation for my LLB course.

So does anybody have any personal or published guidelines to what makes a good law essay, or any examples of a good essay so that i can feel for the standard expected!?

I have been given the book " How to write Law essays and exams" by DR S.I Strong, has any read this publication if so what do you make of it? Does anybody else have any publications that they would recommend?

Is there anything else you would recommend me doing, for good prep for my course i.e. reading certain newspapers, visiting certain websites!?

Also, any info you think relevant on what i should expect from my LLB course!?

Thanks in advance 'taya

you might want to look here for some advice on what to expect.

**edit..sorry, I didnt realise you were the person we actually gave advice to on that thread!**

As for a good essay, it might include the following:

-Understanding, use and application of relevant law (legislation, case law) to the issues you are asked about

-The ability to carefully substantiate arguement with case law and academic viewpoints

-The ability to organise information in a logical and coherant way

-Comparing / contrasting case law, and analysis of this case law and possible discussion of implications of verdicts for development of the law

It quite hard to talk about these things in an abstract way, but your university should give you a copy of the marking scheme and criteria for assessed work so you can have some idea of what they are looking for. Tutors often give (brief!) guidance as to what they are looking for in answers to questions, and you shouldn't be afraid to ask for help if you need it.

Another good introductory text is "learning the law" by Glanville Williams, which offers consise introduction to legal study.
Reply 2
chriswhit
you might want to look here for some advice on what to expect.

**edit..sorry, I didnt realise you were the person we actually gave advice to on that thread!**

As for a good essay, it might include the following:

-Understanding, use and application of relevant law (legislation, case law) to the issues you are asked about

-The ability to carefully substantiate arguement with case law and academic viewpoints

-The ability to organise information in a logical and coherant way

-Comparing / contrasting case law, and analysis of this case law and possible discussion of implications of verdicts for development of the law

It quite hard to talk about these things in an abstract way, but your university should give you a copy of the marking scheme and criteria for assessed work so you can have some idea of what they are looking for. Tutors often give (brief!) guidance as to what they are looking for in answers to questions, and you shouldn't be afraid to ask for help if you need it.

Another good introductory text is "learning the law" by Glanville Williams, which offers consise introduction to legal study.

thanks for the reply, i'll see if i can get hold of that book

oh yeah, i wasnt the thread starter in the thread link you gave me.

thanks again, anyone else?
Reply 3
Theres a book i'm trying to read at the moment called "learning the law" ... It was reccomended to me as a good starting point

Latest

Trending

Trending