Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

To all the anti-conservative people

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to uni this year? Check out our new personal statement advice hub 28-11-2014
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loki276)
    that's 50% of anything above 150k

so if you earn 160k than you pay 50% on 10k so it isn't that unfair tbh
    on the first 150k you pay over a third of that in income tax though. which is way to high
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    according to the bbc 600,000 people in the UK earn over 100k

and there are roughly 38 million people of "working age" in the UK.

so roughly 15% earn over 100k.... thats as close as i can get (and that was using quite dodgy assumptions)
    You mean 1.5%.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshFlack)
    You mean 1.5%.
    oh crap is my maths that bad. quite blatantly going to fail my exams
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bingobongo)
    Are you honestly saying that if you worked your arse off for years and got an extremely high paid job (which you highly deserve because you have worked so hard and done yourself proud) which put you in the top 10% of salary earners in the UK you would be happy giving away half your money to Gordon Brown or even more of your money to Nick Clegg?
    The problem is equality of opportunity. There are people who didnt have the same opportunities in terms of education and stable family life who now bust a gut working just as hard (in terms of intensity and hours) as e.g. city bankers, and get far less money.

To a certain extent (!) social position involves luck and opportunity.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    An employee working in a car assembly factory works as hard if not harder than a banker in the city. Who should recieve the full profits of their labour? The guy who does heavy lifting, or the guy that sits on his ass all day looking at numbers and screwing people over?

The Tories want to give the latter a tax break, on the grounds that these **** heads are the people that voted the conservatives into power (along with a bunch of other ignorant turds). Does this mean that the majority of British people shouldn't have their best interests represented?

Why do I hate the Tory party? Because they use the money of an non-domicile to try and secure all of the marginal seats in Britain. Because they only look out for the higher earners. Because the Tories are deliberately misleading the electorate into thinking that they will create a "big society", the Tories will end "sleazy politics" (Ashcroft. How ******* stupid do you have to be to believe this bull ****?).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    oh crap is my maths that bad. quite blatantly going to fail my exams
    Only if they ask GCSE standard pecentage questions in your tripos exams... :p:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    They don't pay 50% of all earnings. That's not how tax works.
    No, once you take income tax, national insurance, council tax, VAT, taxes on alcohol, petrol, flying, etc. into account (not to mention the higher prices that companies are forced to ask to pay for corporation tax, employers NI and give their employees a decent take home wage after personal tax, etc.) they have to pay a lot more.

It's no wonder tax avoidance is so high.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The link below is crammed full of tables on income distribution, taken from instiute of fiscal studies and others.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Income_...United_Kingdom
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    1) It's not "half".
    2) Gordon Brown/Nick Clegg wouldn't just get to keep the money. :rolleyes:
    3) I am able to recognise that if I end up earning a shedload (which I plan to!), it will be PARTLY down to luck (genetics, good education etc.); and also that I will not necessarily be working harder than nurses, cleaners, etc.
    4) I am very pro-inheritance tax right now even though I think I'd probably do pretty well out of inheritance. So I can't imagine that changing.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caroline147)
    Mate, you're forgetting that these people haven't worked their arse off for years: they're all greedy bankers who got everything handed to them on a silver platter from Mummy & Daddy and then their Oxbridge Old Boys' Network. Of course the government is infinitely wiser than these capitalist scum. In fact, the government is clearly wiser than the entire population, what's another 10k from one of these ******* when Ed Balls needs a contemplation suite?
    Sooo, if you're making this assumption, it's fair for me to say that...

all people who earn a low-income live on council estates, didn't take the opportunity of a free education to work hard and try for themselves, spend all the money they gain from benefits on drugs and prostitutes, have no pride and desire to achieve, spend their friday nights dealing drugs round the back of Tesco Express, happy slap people with their video phone they got from Gordon Brown stealing money from other people, going to hospital for free when they get into a fight even though they don't actually contribute towards it at all...

Yes?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    ANYTHING to keep you tory ***** out of government. Put it that way
    This. I dont know why, i just do not like Cameron
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshFlack)
    Only if they ask GCSE standard pecentage questions in your tripos exams... :p:
    haha luckily percentages dont crop up much... i hope

currently stuck on some stupid arse question involving this lovely thing LC \frac{R_1}{R_2} \frac{d^2v}{dt^2} + (CR_1 + \frac{L}{R_2}) \frac{dv}{dt} + (1 + \frac{R_1}{R_2})v = e

oh i how i love engineering
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bingobongo)
    Are you honestly saying that if you worked your arse off for years and got an extremely high paid job (which you highly deserve because you have worked so hard and done yourself proud) which put you in the top 10% of salary earners in the UK you would be happy giving away half your money to Gordon Brown or even more of your money to Nick Clegg?

you clearly don't understand how the 50% tax band works....:rolleyes:
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dancingshoes10)
    Sooo, if you're making this assumption, it's fair for me to say that...

all people who earn a low-income live on council estates, didn't take the opportunity of a free education to work hard and try for themselves, spend all the money they gain from benefits on drugs and prostitutes, have no pride and desire to achieve, spend their friday nights dealing drugs round the back of Tesco Express, happy slap people with their video phone they got from Gordon Brown stealing money from other people, going to hospital for free when they get into a fight even though they don't actually contribute towards it at all...

Yes?
    Um, I was being sarcastic :getmecoat:
    Who the **** would really think that Ed Balls should have a contemplation and massage suite, haha?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rinsed)
    No, once you take income tax, national insurance, council tax, VAT, taxes on alcohol, petrol, flying, etc. into account (not to mention the higher prices that companies are forced to ask to pay for corporation tax, employers NI and give their employees a decent take home wage after personal tax, etc.) they have to pay a lot more.

I dont have the statistics but in percentage terms, do they pay more than the average person? I doubt it. Besides, 20% of a big pie is still much better than 10% of a small one.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caroline147)
    Mate, you're forgetting that these people haven't worked their arse off for years: they're all greedy bankers who got everything handed to them on a silver platter from Mummy & Daddy and then their Oxbridge Old Boys' Network. Of course the government is infinitely wiser than these capitalist scum. In fact, the government is clearly wiser than the entire population, what's another 10k from one of these ******* when Ed Balls needs a contemplation suite?
    This.

In this economic condition how the Tories plan to give the richest of the rich tax cuts is absolutely beyond me. I am astounded in all honesty. How do they plan to cover the money lost from this? Tax the poorer people who are having it the hardest? Public Spending cuts?

What a farce. What a complete disgrace of a policy.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1F2R3)
    Well... it isn't going to happen

Cameron will be PM.
    I don't do prediction-politics. But I do know that I will spend my life fighting conservatism and I will die doing so.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rinsed)

Which clearly legitamises tax aviodance......
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    I don't do prediction-politics. But I do know that I will spend my life fighting conservatism and I will die doing so.
    Good on ya, mate. Cameron will be PM.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    LOL at the assumption that all rich people have worked hard and deserve their money. Not like a)connections, b)inheritance or c) luck ,has anything to do with it. To be honest I find the attitude of the rich to be disgusting, im sure I'd be annoyed at being taxed heavily, but unlike the average person it's not going to make a massive difference to an already immensely comfortable standard of living, more an annoyance than an aggrievance.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 8, 2011
New on TSR

Vote for your favourite Christmas film

Win a bundle of Xmas DVDs

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.