The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
leaglebeagle and Jess I completely agree!
Reply 21
paymaster
And failure's a part of life, you have to experience it some time on some level.

Couldn't agree more.

Good luck with the pool :smile:
Reply 22
Exactly musicman. If I'd known that they wouldn't bother reading my submitted work and application form, I'd have applied elsewhere because I think I'd have benefitted (and therefore have had more chance of gaining a place) if they'd read my work. Why do they bother asking you to submit work if they're not then going to read it? Frankly I think it's rude, in additon to being a huge waste of time and effort on behalf of the interviewee.

I don't think they even bother pretending that the slection process is fair. As you say, there's no way it could be considered fair in any way. However they could undoubtedly make it fairer (and reduce the 'aftertaste' for people like you and me!) for instance by ensuring that all interviewers read submitted work.
Reply 23
Tek
Haha, "rubbing it in" is exactly what immature, obsessed idiots such as yourself do. If you don't get a place, I'm not going to laugh at you; I'm above that, thank you very much.

"What makes me so sure I'll get into Durham or LSE?" Nothing - since when have I said I'd be guaranteed a place there? But you have to admit it's broadly true that one would have a better chance of getting into those two Unis than one would Cambridge.

"It's arrogant twats...bad name". How ironic. It is in fact applicants like you - sad, obsessed individuals who want to get into Oxbridge more than anything else - who give Oxbridge a bad name. At the end of the day, any mature individual can see that it's just a Universitiy (albeit a good one) and whilst it'd be nice to go there, in the great scheme of things it doesn't matter much. You really ought to get things in perspective.

Yes, I have little experience of applying to University, but at least I have the maturity to recognise that Oxbridge isn't the be all and end all.

"since when have I said I'd be guaranteed a place there?" The fact that you said "I'll just go to durham" seems to imply some degree of certainty regarding being offered a place there. And let's be honest, there are ppl on here who have been rejected by bristol, manchester, nottingham etc, who have gained a place at oxbridge.

"Rubbing it in" is exactly what one would do to a conceited individual who one has a great deal of contempt towards. Kinda like the way i feel towards you, let's face it.

How do you know i'm an "immature, obsessed idiot"? Do you know me? Have you ever met me?

"At the end of the day, any mature individual can see that it's just a Universitiy". I'm not even going to go into this one with you because, since you've not actually gone through the application process yet, you won't have a clue what it's all about emotionally. I am aware of the fact that it is just a university, but the fact that you are getting into heated debates over oxbridge on an internet forum a year before you'll be applying does reveal an overwhelming degree of obsession.

"I have little experience of applying to University". Actually, you have no experience whatsoever of applying to uni.
Reply 24
katiyakat
Exactly musicman. If I'd known that they wouldn't bother reading my submitted work and application form, I'd have applied elsewhere because I think I'd have benefitted (and therefore have had more chance of gaining a place) if they'd read my work. Why do they bother asking you to submit work if they're not then going to read it? Frankly I think it's rude, in additon to being a huge waste of time and effort on behalf of the interviewee.

I don't think they even bother pretending that the slection process is fair. As you say, there's no way it could be considered fair in any way. However they could undoubtedly make it fairer (and reduce the 'aftertaste' for people like you and me!) for instance by ensuring that all interviewers read submitted work.

Does this smack of a Laura Spence "it's not fair I'm easily bright enough to go" attitude?
Reply 25
Tek
Does this smack of a Laura Spence "it's not fair I'm easily bright enough to go" attitude?

Tek, can I just say that you really haven't experienced the agony of oxbridge admissions so please try and understand that you don't know what we are going through.
Reply 26
musicman
"since when have I said I'd be guaranteed a place there?" The fact that you said "I'll just go to durham" seems to imply some degree of certainty regarding being offered a place there.

"Rubbing it in" is exactly what one would do to a conceited individual who one has a great deal of contempt towards. Kinda like the way i feel towards you, let's face it.

"At the end of the day, any mature individual can see that it's just a Universitiy". I'm not even going to go into this one with you because, since you've not actually gone through the application process yet, you won't have a clue what it's all about emotionally. I am aware of the fact that it is just a university, but the fact that you are getting into heated debates over oxbridge on an internet forum a year before you'll be applying does reveal an overwhelming degree of obsession.

"I have little experience of applying to University". Actually, you have no experience whatsoever of applying to uni.

Actually fool I said "go somewhere else like Durham or the LSE" which doesn't imply anything (your insertion of the word "just" does, however) so get your quotes right first. Perhaps it's because you lack basic literacy skills that you weren't accepted.

Secondly, do you feel contempt towards me or are you just bitter towards Cambridge? :tongue:

Someone needs to handle their emotions better. (That would be you, by the way, just in case you missed it).
Reply 27
Tek

All we are doing is highlighting the obvious flaws in the application process.
Reply 28
Adhsur
Tek, can I just say that you really haven't experienced the agony of oxbridge admissions so please try and understand that you don't know what we are going through.

Adhsur, I share your disappointment. And I will feel gutted too, if I don't get in. But I will get on with my life, go to a different university, and life will take a different course. That's what any pooled or rejected applicant needs to do NOW, rather than moan about admissions.
Reply 29
Tek
Adhsur, I share your disappointment. And I will feel gutted too, if I don't get in. But I will get on with my life, go to a different university, and life will take a different course. That's what any pooled or rejected applicant needs to do NOW, rather than moan about admissions.

The thing is pooled applicants CAN'T just get on with life because we still don't know where we stand.
Reply 30
Tek
Actually fool I said "go somewhere else like Durham or the LSE" which doesn't imply anything (your insertion of the word "just" does, however) so get your quotes right first. Perhaps it's because you lack basic literacy skills that you weren't accepted.

Secondly, do you feel contempt towards me or are you just bitter towards Cambridge? :tongue:

Someone needs to handle their emotions better. (That would be you, by the way, just in case you missed it).

Haha, if I "lacked basic literacy skills", would I be capable of writing this post? Accepted, the insertion of the word "just" was an error on my part, but the use of the verb "go" on ur part as opposed to "apply to" still does imply a degree of certainty that you will be accepted, whichever way you look at it. I think this attitude is also very insulting to those applicants whose first choice unis are durham/lse, and who work very hard in order to obtain a place there.

I am not in any way bitter towards Cambridge, as i found that none of the stereotypes were there when i arrived, and that i was respected as an individual (respect for others being a foreign concept to you maybe). It's people like u who really annoy me, hence my emotional outbursts towards u. And considering the fact that i have a blemish free academic record on very little work, how dare u take such a horrendously condescending tone towards me. Just who do you think you are?
Reply 31
Tek: Well that wasn't the intention but feel free to read into what I wrote as you will.

My main point is that I think it's rude to ask for work and not read it.

My slightly tangental point is that I personally feel that I'd have stood a better chance of getting in if my work had been read. My submitted work and personal statement were both good, whereas the stuff I said in interview really wasn't very impressive (in my first interview, that was completely my fault, the second one, still my fault but not as much - I had a very VERY similar experience to the person who posted this profile). Now you can interpret that in any way you please, but it's my personal opinion.

I don't think anyone claims that the Oxbridge process is entirely fair. Neither is any other Univerity's process for that matter, or indeed life. However I think they could easily make the Oxbridge process fairer.
Reply 32
katiyakat
Why do they bother asking you to submit work if they're not then going to read it?

May I ask how you know, or why it is you think that they didn't read your submitted work? And that only one read your personal statement?

And Tek, my Uncle is a top-class surgeon, if you're interested in getting that rod removed from your *rse I'll gladly put you in touch.

Cheer up big T, if it's really that much of a pain in the *rse you don't have to read these posts...
Reply 33
sorry to every1 else for sounding so arrogant!
Reply 34
Adhsur
The thing is pooled applicants CAN'T just get on with life because we still don't know where we stand.

Getting an offer is not a guarantee that a person will be studying there. I would imagine that rejection at this stage, whether straight away or after pooling, would be far preferable to being offered a place conditionally and then being rejected after 8 months if you fail to achieve your offer for whatever reason.
So essentially, no one knows where they stand until results day!
Good luck, btw :smile:
Reply 35
musicman
Haha, if I "lacked basic literacy skills", would I be capable of writing this post? Accepted, the insertion of the word "just" was an error on my part, but the use of the verb "go" on ur part as opposed to "apply to" still does imply a degree of certainty that you will be accepted, whichever way you look at it. I think this attitude is also very insulting to those applicants whose first choice unis are durham/lse, and who work very hard in order to obtain a place there.

I am not in any way bitter towards Cambridge, as i found that none of the stereotypes were there when i arrived, and that i was respected as an individual (respect for others being a foreign concept to you maybe). It's people like u who really annoy me, hence my emotional outbursts towards u. And considering the fact that i have a blemish free academic record on very little work, how dare u take such a horrendously condescending tone towards me. Just who do you think you are?

Two points -

1) In what way is my attitude to LSE / Durham insulting? Everyone (or most people anyway) has a second choice university, including yourself. It isn't in any way wrong to say it's your second choice and I don't think anyone who's first choice university was your second choice would feel particularly offended.

2) Let's remind ourselves of a little fact: YOU stated that it was unfair for colleges to pick the best applicants from the pool if it meant ignoring you. YOU seem to be the one who wants a place at Cambridge so badly that you'd ignore all those applicants who are better than yourself if it meant you got a place. YOU then said that you want to see a FAIRER admissions process. Can anyone spot the irony???
Reply 36
calm down chaps. it's only a university.
Reply 37
Tifa :
Well it helps that I met someone doing my course at the college I applied to while I was there who had been told afterwards by the DoS that they never read the essays candidates submit. However even if I hadn't, I'd still have been pretty sure. My second interviewer asked me which essays were mine and then proceeded to read them for what felt like an awfully long time (I'm sure it can't have been that long, but silence seems to last forever!) during my interview, before asking me questions relating to them. It was clear to me that he hadn't read them before, although you're right that it's not possible to be 100% sure that he hadn't read them before.
Reply 38
edders
calm down chaps. it's only a university.

Exactly.
Reply 39
Tek
Two points -

1) In what way is my attitude to LSE / Durham insulting? Everyone (or most people anyway) has a second choice university, including yourself. It isn't in any way wrong to say it's your second choice and I don't think anyone who's first choice university was your second choice would feel particularly offended.

2) Let's remind ourselves of a little fact: YOU stated that it was unfair for colleges to pick the best applicants from the pool if it meant ignoring you. YOU seem to be the one who wants a place at Cambridge so badly that you'd ignore all those applicants who are better than yourself if it meant you got a place. YOU then said that you want to see a FAIRER admissions process. Can anyone spot the irony???

Your attitude is insulting in that, the way in which the sentence was phrased, you seemed certain that you would automatically be able to obtain a place at durham/lse, and getting into cambridge would be the only challenge you would face. This conclusion was arrived at through the fact that you said u would "go to durham", as opposed to "apply to durham, and if they accept me i'll go there". If you cannot tell the difference between these then it is you who lacks the literacy skills.

Never at any time did I state it was unfair for the best applicants to be picked from the pool. My use of the word "unfair" was a flippant reference to the wait that pooled applicants are now facing. Hence there is no irony in my consistent argument.

Latest

Trending

Trending