The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Tek wrote:
But I will get on with my life, go to a different university, and life will take a different course. That's what any pooled or rejected applicant needs to do NOW, rather than moan about admissions.

I've spent since Thursday falling in love with Durham again and I'm genuinely very much looking forward to going there. But! I'd still have liked them to read my essays, even if it had made no difference whatsoever. Less 'what ifs' that way.
katiyakat
Tifa :
Well it helps that I met someone doing my course at the college I applied to while I was there who had been told afterwards by the DoS that they never read the essays candidates submit. However even if I hadn't, I'd still have been pretty sure. My second interviewer asked me which essays were mine and then proceeded to read them for what felt like an awfully long time (I'm sure it can't have been that long, but silence seems to last forever!) during my interview, before asking me questions relating to them. It was clear to me that he hadn't read them before, although you're right that it's not possible to be 100% sure that he hadn't read them before.

If your essay was not read before the interview then the same will have applied for the other candidates so you wouldnt have been at a dissadvantage. What is more likely is that the essays had been read before but the interviewer was simply refreshing his memory. You cannot expect him or her to memorise the essays submitted by every applicant.
Reply 42
Ralfskini
If your essay was not read before the interview then the same will have applied for the other candidates so you wouldnt have been at a dissadvantage. What is more likely is that the essays had been read before but the interviewer was simply refreshing his memory. You cannot expect him or her to memorise the essays submitted by every applicant.

But I know of applicants to other colleges whose essays were read, so surely this automatically puts them at an advantage if the submitted essay was a strong part of the applicant's profile?
Reply 43
musicman
Never at any time did I state it was unfair for the best applicants to be picked from the pool. My use of the word "unfair" was a flippant reference to the wait that pooled applicants are now facing. Hence there is no irony in my consistent argument.

Hmm, that's odd. I could've sworn you said " think they're probably checking for any1 better in the pool before accepting you, which is pretty unfair!! " which has just sort of shown you up really.

In fact I really liked my second point. Let's develop it a little further:

2)You said that you wanted a fairer process, where admissions tutors actually read YOUR work. But when it comes to pooling and accepting applicants, oh no, that's not on, they can't possibly make sure that the best candidates get a place at any college, can they? Oh no, that wouldn't be fair AT ALL, would it now? Best applicants getting places? Pfff! No, better that they change the admissions process so that YOUR work gets read, and YOU have a better chance of getting in. Bugger all those poor souls who're good enough to get in if only the college had room! As long as the admissions process works for YOUR benefit, that's ok then, isn't it?

</sarcasm>
Reply 44
WAHAHAH WHO CARES,

the real skill comes in doing no work and always getting As, kekekekekeke
Reply 45
Tek
Hmm, that's odd. I could've sworn you said " think they're probably checking for any1 better in the pool before accepting you, which is pretty unfair!! " which has just sort of shown you up really.

In fact I really liked my second point. Let's develop it a little further:

2)You said that you wanted a fairer process, where admissions tutors actually read YOUR work. But when it comes to pooling and accepting applicants, oh no, that's not on, they can't possibly make sure that the best candidates get a place at any college, can they? Oh no, that wouldn't be fair AT ALL, would it now? Best applicants getting places? Pfff! No, better that they change the admissions process so that YOUR work gets read, and YOU have a better chance of getting in. Bugger all those poor souls who're good enough to get in if only the college had room! As long as the admissions process works for YOUR benefit, that's ok then, isn't it?

</sarcasm>

Yes, you're right, as it happens, I do want a fairer admissions process, where admissions tutors actually read EVEYONE'S work, i.e. not just MY work, EVERYONE'S work. Understand?? Probably not.

As a matter of fact, my reference to the whole process being unfair was, as I have said before but it doesn't seem to have filtrated into ur 'brain', a FLIPPANT (i.e. jokey/superficial, or "not serious" to you) reference to the whole "you're good enough unless we get some1 better" philosophy behind the unusual position that 'plsletmein!' is actually in. It was designed to try to make her feel better, though, again, that's a foreign concept to you isn't it?
Reply 46
Ralfskini

Back to the matter in hand! I was pooled the same way as plsletmein!
Anyone else?
you people need to get a life...
quantiannihai?
you people need to get a life...

why, whats is wrong with them?
whoa ppl calm down, i too would be pissed off if i didn't get into cambridge but only for a few days after that i would just move on and aim to goto my 2nd choice uni

Ps. Any ppl apply for mathematics?
Reply 50
s-man
whoa ppl calm down, i too would be pissed off if i didn't get into cambridge but only for a few days after that i would just move on and aim to goto my 2nd choice uni

Ps. Any ppl apply for mathematics?

I applied for maths at Trinity, Cambridge. Where'd you apply to?
Reply 51
Seer
WAHAHAH WHO CARES,

the real skill comes in doing no work and always getting As, kekekekekeke

What sort of sound/action is 'kekekekeke' meant to simulate? It just conjures up this image of a guy clucking and jerking like a chicken to me... and I'm sure that's not the image you mean to represent.

EDIT: oh and this is a bit crazy, but I came across this, and I'm not trying to be pedantic but... (from a long past thread - A grades do not show intelligence)

Seer
It's not a question of me loving myself.

Look, let me take philosophy for example.

I condensed the syllabus into 10 simple pages (as could anyone)

I wrote with literacy in the exam (as could anyone)

I did no essays in the year (as could anyone)

I got an A (as could anyone)

Condensing a syllabus into 10 simple pages seems like quite a bit of work no?

p.s. well done of course on your offer
Reply 52
Tifa
What sort of sound/action is 'kekekekeke' meant to simulate? It just conjures up this image of a guy clucking and jerking like a chicken to me... and I'm sure that's not the image you mean to represent.

It conjured up images of Popeye for me, or at least I think that's what he was trying to imitate.
meepmeep
I applied for maths at Trinity, Cambridge. Where'd you apply to?

i applied at queens'
Reply 54
yawn1
Getting an offer is not a guarantee that a person will be studying there. I would imagine that rejection at this stage, whether straight away or after pooling, would be far preferable to being offered a place conditionally and then being rejected after 8 months if you fail to achieve your offer for whatever reason.
So essentially, no one knows where they stand until results day!
Good luck, btw :smile:

That's very true. At one school in my area about 15 people get Oxbridge offers every year, and every year about 4 or 5 every year don't get the grades. If you think waiting a few weeks to get the envelope from Oxford/Cambridge is nerve-wracking, try waiting from June until August to get your exam results.
redcat
That's very true. At one school in my area about 15 people get Oxbridge offers every year, and every year about 4 or 5 every year don't get the grades. If you think waiting a few weeks to get the envelope from Oxford/Cambridge is nerve-wracking, try waiting from June until August to get your exam results.

Yeh! That's true. Gosh, I really hope everyone gets the grades. It'd be terrible to have come so far and made plans.. then to get them messed up last minute.*wishes hard for everyone*..
Reply 56
katiyakat
Tifa :
Well it helps that I met someone doing my course at the college I applied to while I was there who had been told afterwards by the DoS that they never read the essays candidates submit. However even if I hadn't, I'd still have been pretty sure. My second interviewer asked me which essays were mine and then proceeded to read them for what felt like an awfully long time (I'm sure it can't have been that long, but silence seems to last forever!) during my interview, before asking me questions relating to them. It was clear to me that he hadn't read them before, although you're right that it's not possible to be 100% sure that he hadn't read them before.

my interviewer must have read my essays coz he asked me questions on it and he knew quite a bit about it.

Latest

Trending

Trending