The Student Room Group

Ucas Extra- A lot of very good universities are on there

I was just looking through for maths and noticed some very good universities on there i was just surprised anybody know if this is common ? And why there is still places ? Did not enough people apply or not enough people meet there offer?

Some unis are
Exeter
Sheffield
Manchester
Nottingham
Southampton

I was thinking of maybe declinging all my offers and applying to manchester and some others but i dont have the entry requirements is this a good idea?

Thanks for the replies

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No, if they reject you you're ******.
Reply 2
[QUOTE="Drew."]No, if they reject you you're ******.[/QUOTE

lol :yep: would be ****** diffrently
Reply 3
Yeah, a lot of top 15/20 unis were in Extra for my subject this year too :yep:

Difficult to advise you without knowing what offers you currently hold, and why you don't meet the requirements though, as I can't tell what the potential risk/profit is. Good luck with whatever you decide anyway :smile:
Reply 4
what i dont understand, why are some universities on ucas extra and some not?
does it make it easier to get in if the university is on ucas extra?
:s-smilie: sorry if this sounds really ignorant
Reply 5
Redkicker
what i dont understand, why are some universities on ucas extra and some not?
does it make it easier to get in if the university is on ucas extra?
:s-smilie: sorry if this sounds really ignorant

:smile:, It's not ignorant. Basically, universities which still have not filled there quota by the time the offers go out, they put the course on UCAS extra, therefore more students can apply for the course after the January 15 Deadline.
There are two main reasons for a course being in UCAS Extra. They are (a) the university didn't attract enough applicants and would like to make more offers to give itself a chance of filling the course and (b) the course didn't attract enough applicants deemed good enough by the admissions tutors to receive offers. Many of the better universities won't compromise on standards. There is a world of difference between these two reasons and a candidate that gives up perfectly good offers to apply to those in the latter category is taking a very grave risk.
Reply 7
hi is there anyway to look for which unis are on ucas extra without being on ucas? I'm not applying for uni this year but wanted to see what subjects Nottingham was there for :smile:
Saint
hi is there anyway to look for which unis are on ucas extra without being on ucas?

The UCAS website indicates which courses are in UCAS Extra and which have no vacancies, and anyone can search it.
Saint
hi is there anyway to look for which unis are on ucas extra without being on ucas? I'm not applying for uni this year but wanted to see what subjects Nottingham was there for :smile:

Yep, just the standard course search - but entry in 2010 - and then look for the courses that have an 'X' by them: they're in Extra. :smile:
Reply 10
I just looked, Manchester, Sheffield, York, Liverpool and Leicester were on their for Law.
I think Manchester ask of 5 As as standard for GCSEs is too high!
Reply 11
The Extra listings are not always up to date so it's not 100% accurate - if you are planning on applying through Extra you should always call the uni and check beforehand.
It's a bit risky.
What if they reject you for not meeting the entry requirements..
Reply 13
i got an offer and then rejected it. and went through ucas extra. its not an amazing uni but im happier going here :smile:
I only know about Nottingham, but i have been told by an admissions tutor that they tend to keep a small number of places open for UCAS Extra applicants for some courses. This is for 2 reasons. 1.) INTERNATIONALS!!!! Often the application is only open to intl students. The university tries to get as many as possible as they pay higher fees, in fact Notts has more intl students than any other uni (about 15,000) 2.) Try to improve quality. If the admissions tutor feels that the quality of applicants has not been as high as usual (Notts has had a big drop in applicant quality recently), then they will keep a small number of places open in case some AAAA students who got rejected from all their choices wants to choose that uni.

Also, dont forget that a lot of the bigger universities have more courses than smaller unis, and it is usually the more random variants that are on extra. Durham fills all its places as it only offers a few courses, whilst bigger unis have loads of weird ones like History with russian that attract few applicants.

A friend of mine applied though extra after being rejected by all of his choices, even though he got AAA, and received offers from Bristol, Warwick, York, Nottingham and Exeter for a whole variety of subjects, ranging from Archaeology, English Lit, Film and classics (he wanted to get offers to make him feel better so applied to loads and kept rejecting them to take the piss)
PantryLeader
I only know about Nottingham, but i have been told by an admissions tutor that they tend to keep a small number of places open for UCAS Extra applicants for some courses. This is for 2 reasons. 1.) INTERNATIONALS!!!! Often the application is only open to intl students. The university tries to get as many as possible as they pay higher fees, in fact Notts has more intl students than any other uni (about 15,000) 2.) Try to improve quality. If the admissions tutor feels that the quality of applicants has not been as high as usual (Notts has had a big drop in applicant quality recently), then they will keep a small number of places open in case some AAAA students who got rejected from all their choices wants to choose that uni.

Also, dont forget that a lot of the bigger universities have more courses than smaller unis, and it is usually the more random variants that are on extra. Durham fills all its places as it only offers a few courses, whilst bigger unis have loads of weird ones like History with russian that attract few applicants.

A friend of mine applied though extra after being rejected by all of his choices, even though he got AAA, and received offers from Bristol, Warwick, York, Nottingham and Exeter for a whole variety of subjects, ranging from Archaeology, English Lit, Film and classics (he wanted to get offers to make him feel better so applied to loads and kept rejecting them to take the piss)

An offer for English from a top uni in UCAS Extra? I find that hard to believe since English is up there with Law and Medicine in terms of competitiveness.
PantryLeader

Hey

I applied for CompSci at notts and since the course is in Ucas Extra, does that mean it's more likely to be in clearing this year since Computer Science doesnt tend be that popular??

Thanks
bobbyjimmy
I was just looking through for maths and noticed some very good universities on there i was just surprised anybody know if this is common ? And why there is still places ? Did not enough people apply or not enough people meet there offer?

Some unis are
Exeter
Sheffield
Manchester
Nottingham
Southampton

I was thinking of maybe declinging all my offers and applying to manchester and some others but i dont have the entry requirements is this a good idea?

Thanks for the replies

I have applied for Maths this year too and the reason I decided to choose Birmingham as my insurance over Exeter and Southampton is these two are in UCAS Extra. I know it sounds like a ridiculous reason but I liked them all equally and couldn't make up my mind :laugh:
Reply 18
I noticed this too, for mech eng there seems to be a lot of good places still available.
Reply 19
There's no good ones for my course :frown:

Latest