The Student Room Group

Planning to marry - Thinking course will be too intensive - Can I change?

Hello everyone!

I plan to study languages and I've been accepted for Japanese in several universities now. I have to reply by May 3rd but as I'm planning to marry soon Im starting to think the course will be too intensive and I would feel more comfortable changing my course to two European languages. Should I contact the universities before or after replying on UCAS? Will they accept me changing my course? If not will there be a problem for me if I still want to study Japanese there? Is it even possible to change? So worried :-(

EDIT: Please refrain from commenting only on my marriage. I'd really like to change my course :-(
Reply 1
confused.com
Reply 2
**** getting married, get a degree first.
How does being married mean you can't do an intensive course?
Reply 4
Please don't give up your degree for marriage. You're young and there is still plenty of time for those things. University should be your top priority now if that's what you want to do. Take Japanese and get married when you're a little more financially independent.
Do what you enjoy. If you want to do Japanese do that, as what will help in a marriage is you doing something you enjoy and really want to do, rather than settling for second best of european languages.
Do Japenese that's your first choice! You want to do it deep down! Just because you're getting married doesn't mean you can't study hard! People have all sorts of commitments today, such as work, kids and yes husbands!

May I ask when you are getting married? And what Uni(s) you have applied to? I dont know anything about languages so excuse my ignorance but wouldnt 2 European languages be as hard as 1 international language anyway?

It all depends on how many (if any) places are left at the Unis you applied. I would really urge for you to stick to your first choice, Im sure your husband to be would want you too?

If you insist on 'downgrading' then contact admissions asap and see what they say and go from there!
Reply 7
You wanted to change to Chinese a few months ago. Now it's European languages because you're getting married. You need to ask yourself why you want to change and most importantly you need to ask the universities.

Why should being married alter the course you want to do? Are you getting married because you're frightened of being apart for a year and think Europe is closer than China or Japan, presuming that you do a year abroad on both courses?

Quite frankly, if you can't decide what course you want to do and are asking strangers what to do with your life, how the hell do you know you're mature enough to marry and stay with someone for the rest of your life?
Reply 8
Why does getting married mean you can't do that course?

I live with my boyfriend, and to all intents and purposes we are married, but we're both third year students and heading for good degrees (mine in a fairly difficult field). Go for what you want to do; you'll regret the things you don't do more than the things you do.
Reply 9
notanumber
You wanted to change to Chinese a few months ago. Now it's European languages because you're getting married. You need to ask yourself why you want to change and most importantly you need to ask the universities.

Why should being married alter the course you want to do? Are you getting married because you're frightened of being apart for a year and think Europe is closer than China or Japan, presuming that you do a year abroad on both courses?

Quite frankly, if you can't decide what course you want to do and are asking strangers what to do with your life, how the hell do you know you're mature enough to marry and stay with someone for the rest of your life?

This is a good post ^

Latest

Trending

Trending