The Student Room Group
emma363
Hey :smile:

I'm a bit stuck,lets say I was answering the question
"Compare the ways imagery is used to present ideas and feelings in This Room and one other poem"
I'd do an intro, compare 3-6 things and then a conclusion...

but how do I do a conclusion without just repeating what i've already said? I don't really know what to put for it or how to say something overall? :s-smilie:

I hope that made sense, and this is for GCSE btw

Sorry I don't know much about what the requirements are for GCSE but when writing a conclusion you shouldn't introduce new information. You should try some up what you've said bit that doesn't mean repeating yourself. It means bringing all the points you've made together to evaluate the over all point. For example this is a very brief conclusion I wrote for an analysis of the poem The Voice by Thomas Hardy:

"The poem is plainly an effective articulation of Hardy’s tortuous grief. It is clear that Hardy was profoundly affected by the death of his wife and struggled to accept that she wouldn’t return. The image Hardy creates of her in a pale gown on windy meadow is indicative of a ghostly apparition resulting in a strange ambiguity about the reality of his experience. “The Voice” is a sorrow filled, emotional, lamentation representing Hardy’s attempt to accept the inevitability of death and consequent emotions which arise from it."

Basically in the main body of the essay you are looking at the technicalities of putting the poem together. The effectiveness of certain images, similarities and differences between images in both poems etc. But the conclusion is broader and should focus on the overall all picture.

I don't know if that helps at all. :smile: Feel free to ask anything if I can be of any more assistance.
Reply 2
emhah
Sorry I don't know much about what the requirements are for GCSE but when writing a conclusion you shouldn't introduce new information. You should try some up what you've said bit that doesn't mean repeating yourself. It means bringing all the points you've made together to evaluate the over all point. For example this is a very brief conclusion I wrote for an analysis of the poem The Voice by Thomas Hardy:

"The poem is plainly an effective articulation of Hardy’s tortuous grief. It is clear that Hardy was profoundly affected by the death of his wife and struggled to accept that she wouldn’t return. The image Hardy creates of her in a pale gown on windy meadow is indicative of a ghostly apparition resulting in a strange ambiguity about the reality of his experience. “The Voice” is a sorrow filled, emotional, lamentation representing Hardy’s attempt to accept the inevitability of death and consequent emotions which arise from it."

Basically in the main body of the essay you are looking at the technicalities of putting the poem together. The effectiveness of certain images, similarities and differences between images in both poems etc. But the conclusion is broader and should focus on the overall all picture.

I don't know if that helps at all. :smile: Feel free to ask anything if I can be of any more assistance.

Yehh that helped alot, thanks :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending