Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are some people hotter than others?

Announcements Posted on
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    And I don't mean in the sexy sense. :cool:
    The last few days have been pretty warm and today in particular felt quite summery, so you'd expect everyone to be wearing summer clothes, right? Wrong! Although there were some people walking round in shorts and t-shirt, quite a few were wearing jumpers or even thick winter coats.
    I know that some people might have been wearing winter clothes because it's been cold for such a long time that they didn't expect today to be hot, but other people still feel genuinely cold.
    And What I really don't get is how in people can feel such different temperatures, it might be a warm day but one person can feel cold in jeans and a hoodie while someone else is sweating in a t-shirt.
    Assuming that neither of them are overweight or on any medications or anything, and have both done a similar amount of physical activity that day, how can two people feel a different temperature in identical conditions?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I guess people are different at how effective their body is at regulating temperature. People respond to stimuli differently, for some people their bodies responses to things like heat (sweating etc) might start at lower temperature levels. Others just might have bodies that are more effective in losing heat and so it takes longer for them to warm up. I dunno i'm just rambling.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Having lived in New Zealand in July, I've rarely worn anything more than a t-shirt since
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    i see this all the time like my cousin would wear just a shirt all year round in the winters or summers i ask why and he said he doesn't feel cold(i guess it's just his body fat) but then he is quite a big man and don't feel cold like skinnier people.

i wore a hoodie and jeans to school today.:dontknow:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wallflower*)
    And I don't mean in the sexy sense. :cool:
    The last few days have been pretty warm and today in particular felt quite summery, so you'd expect everyone to be wearing summer clothes, right? Wrong! Although there were some people walking round in shorts and t-shirt, quite a few were wearing jumpers or even thick winter coats.
    I know that some people might have been wearing winter clothes because it's been cold for such a long time that they didn't expect today to be hot, but other people still feel genuinely cold.
    And What I really don't get is how in people can feel such different temperatures, it might be a warm day but one person can feel cold in jeans and a hoodie while someone else is sweating in a t-shirt.
    Assuming that neither of them are overweight or on any medications or anything, and have both done a similar amount of physical activity that day, how can two people feel a different temperature in identical conditions?
    Different body fat percentages and distribution

Different surface area

Different metabolism- Northern Europeans actually produce more heat than Africans, even at rest.

Stress levels and tiredness can also have a large effect. A lot of the time, I can decide that I'm not cold, and I'll feel warm in much less clothing than what others are wearing. Doesn't work if I'm tired though...
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Born in Sydney, lived in LA and Singapore for a large amount of my life. Heat is my thing
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    My theory is that it's what your body is used to from an early age. For example, someone from Australia would probably feel a bit cold in what we'd consider a decent British summer, whereas someone from Scotland would probably be sunning themselves topless.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I almost never feel cold. Any temperature over about 25 degrees is too hot for me. I have a very high metabolism cause I eat ********* yet don't put on weight even when I'm injured or something so can't play sport for a few weeks (I play loads normally), so I guess that means I produce a lot of heat.

Different people are different Also what your body is used to makes a difference. Australians coming to England think summer is cold, and when I went to spain in march it was well hot for me, but they were all wearing coats etc when it was 25 degrees or so.
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you think British summer is hot, I suggest you go to HK to experience real hotness!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i have just discovered, some girls are hotter than others
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynasty)
    I almost never feel cold. Any temperature over about 25 degrees is too hot for me. I have a very high metabolism cause I eat ********* yet don't put on weight even when I'm injured or something so can't play sport for a few weeks (I play loads normally), so I guess that means I produce a lot of heat.

Different people are different Also what your body is used to makes a difference. Australians coming to England think summer is cold, and when I went to spain in march it was well hot for me, but they were all wearing coats etc when it was 25 degrees or so.
    I've seen British people come to Spain or Portugal mid-March/April, and they wear summer clothes as if it was hot already. I'm from Portugal, and in March and April, I still wear coats or jumpers, because for me it's still a wee bit cold. But when summers comes ... It's awfully hot. That's why British people and others from countries like that leave Portugal or Spain looking like a lobster, eh.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can't stand anything over 26 or 27 and I have no understanding whatsoever of why people think hot weather is good... really 22 or more is uncomfortable.

Cold I am fairly indifferent to, as long as it's not icy wind. I hate that.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ocassus)
    Born in Sydney, lived in LA and Singapore for a large amount of my life. Heat is my thing
    Shut up ! You were born in Sydney !? Can you do the Australian accent ?! :|
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    it's peoples' metabolism which controls how much calories they burn to heat their body, bitch
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CyntiaMassano)
    Shut up ! You were born in Sydney !? Can you do the Australian accent ?! :|

Sort of yes I am inherently English though, both my parents are English xD Having a Dad as a pilot has advantages
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blueflare)
    I can't stand anything over 26 or 27 and I have no understanding whatsoever of why people think hot weather is good... really 22 or more is uncomfortable.

Cold I am fairly indifferent to, as long as it's not icy wind. I hate that.
    Finally I know I'm not alone! :eek3:

I hate sun/heat/warm weather.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ocassus)
    Sort of yes I am inherently English though, both my parents are English xD Having a Dad as a pilot has advantages
    The Australian accent's like the sexiest accent on Earth, LOOL.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm always cold unless I'm in direct sunlight without wind. It can be 30 degrees out and I'll need a jumper if I'm int he shade or there's a tiny breeze. My mum is very hot, so when she was pregnant with me I got used to a higher temperature being normal. Also because she smoked and so I didn't form enough spiral arteries, I didn't get as many nutrients and was under developed. I was born premature... and blue! My blood is actually 2 degrees colder than it should be, and you only need a change of about 4-5 before you begin to go hypothermic. I'm a bit like a cold blooded lizard, I don't heat myself up very well. I have an electric blanket on my bed, but I find I cool the blanket before it has a chance to heat me. The solution, is to find a warm boyfriend to hug at all times, or wear about 5 layers

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 29, 2010
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.