The Student Room Group

Physiotherapy or Pharmacy?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Chloeee02
I work in a pharmacy on a Saturday (not a pharmacist) and a pharmacist said you can earn up to £60,000 if you work lots and are a locum.
Lots of them wouldn't do pharmacy if they had the choice again though.

Nooo! Why do they say that?

Oh and congrats on your medicine offer :eek:. You made it out alive!
Pharmacy is definitely working a lot with people. Clinical pharmacists hardly spend any time in the hospital dispensary.

Pick what you'll enjoy the most. From what I've heard from friends doing Physio, Physiotherapy is a lot easier than pharmacy. Pharmacy is veryyyy tough, so you have to be willing to put the work in.

Oh and the salary range for a pharmacist is a lot more than £30k.
Reply 22
Courtenayyy
Pharmacy is definitely working a lot with people. Clinical pharmacists hardly spend any time in the hospital dispensary.

Pick what you'll enjoy the most. From what I've heard from friends doing Physio, Physiotherapy is a lot easier than pharmacy. Pharmacy is veryyyy tough, so you have to be willing to put the work in.

Oh and the salary range for a pharmacist is a lot more than £30k.

Yeah, I meant initially the first 2 or 3 years after pre-reg. Hmm, so I guess pharmacy is kind of fun after all.

I'll have to think about this. Thanks for all your help guys. I'm off now, take care.
Reply 23
Don't go into pharmacy just because you think it leads to a reasonable job, I did and I wasn't happy. Just do a degree in something you enjoy and then you can worry about a job afterwards. If your dream was medicine, you will be unhappy with pharmacy. As for physiotherapy, I know a lot of them and (in no offence to any physios here) , they weren't exactly the brightest people I know, and the job prospects aren't great (too many of them).
Reply 24
*Harps_T*
pharmacy........then agn im biased :rolleyes:

Where do you do pharmacy?

Edit: Nvm, I see you are at Aston.
Pharmacy would probably look better if you're considering the grandparents, aunties and uncles back in the homeland. Pharmacy has it's bad press though. When I considered Pharmacy last year (I'm a grad) people were like, "Isn't it just like counting pills and working in a shop all day?". It's not but there's a lot of ignorance out there still.
you havnt got a clue what either of the jobs do..and you're looking at prestige

just do biomedical science please
Subcutaneous
you havnt got a clue what either of the jobs do..and you're looking at prestige

just do biomedical science please

Worst thing you can do! I speak from experience :p:
I...i don't think i'd ever do something like a job (the things you do lots and lots and lots when you graduate) just to please someone else...ever:/ Screw them, seriously.

Do something you're interested in. If you got turned down for medicine this time, try again. Aren't there any gateway courses for medicine?
Reply 29
GreenTeaLeaf
Nooo! Why do they say that?

Oh and congrats on your medicine offer :eek:. You made it out alive!

I don't know! Lots of them just did it cause they didn't know what else they wanted to do though.
I do pretty much only work with locums, so maybe the job satisfaction tends to be less when you're not settled anywhere in particular. Some pharmacist managers who I've spoken to seem to be happy.
And thanks, I made it...just. You could even apply for medicine after doing either course.
Kevin J
Pharmacists work inside all day and do the same stuff all day every day. Gets very boring, hence why a lot of pharmacists look to other professions.

They don't lock us in the dispensary from 9-5!
How long have you worked as a pharmacist for to say we all do the same stuff all day every day and it gets very boring? :wink:
Actually I think they have equal prestige, but I'll tell you when I was living in Egypt physiotherapists are referred to as Dr. This and Dr. That while Pharmacists weren't.. so at least you'll have prestige if you ever for any crazy reason decide to move to Egypt.
Reply 32
-Emmz-
They don't lock us in the dispensary from 9-5!
How long have you worked as a pharmacist for to say we all do the same stuff all day every day and it gets very boring? :wink:

Worked as an assistant for 4 years so I get to speak to a lot of locums. What else does a pharmacist do, apart from working and training? Essentially you're doing the same thing every day, no variation.
Kevin J
Worked as an assistant for 4 years so I get to speak to a lot of locums. What else does a pharmacist do, apart from working and training? Essentially you're doing the same thing every day, no variation.

Essentially a lot of people do the same sort of thing everyday so why pick up on pharmacists? How does a physiotherapist do something new everyday? They'll be doing the same sort of thing too. What else do most other professions do apart from working or training? It seems pretty weird to single pharmacy out.

And I get lots of variation in my job. It's there if you want it. There is a lot more to more pharmacy than just working in a dispensary.
-Emmz-
Essentially a lot of people do the same sort of thing everyday so why pick up on pharmacists? How does a physiotherapist do something new everyday? They'll be doing the same sort of thing too. What else do most other professions do apart from working or training? It seems pretty weird to single pharmacy out.

And I get lots of variation in my job. It's there if you want it. There is a lot more to more pharmacy than just working in a dispensary.

A variety in caseload of patients, being on call to see some cases, patients needs change 24hours a day..so yes, something new everyday

Not many healthcare jobs can say it's repetitive
Subcutaneous
A variety in caseload of patients, being on call to see some cases, patients needs change 24hours a day..so yes, something new everyday

Not many healthcare jobs can say it's repetitive

I know, it was aimed at the person I quoted who singled out pharmacy as a job you do the same thing everyday i.e. work and train ... which is pretty much what everyone does! But as you've highlighted the above that could easily apply to any healthcare job including a pharmacist :smile:.
i really wanna an answer i have worries that too many people are in this field and there wont be any companies will be waiting for me to graduate and i heard that they dont pay enough for those who are newly graduate sooooo

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending