The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Work harder.

S'common sense, innit?
Reply 2
they raise their requirements, you raise your grades.....simple
Easier said than done really.
Reply 4
Raise your grades or go to a "less respected" university. Those are the only two options. If you couldn't work that out by yourself, maybe you shouldn't be going to university.
talon1579
Raise your grades or go to a "less respected" university. Those are the only two options. If you couldn't work that out by yourself, maybe you shouldn't be going to university.

Yeah, this.
talon1579

I doubt I can raise my grades enough, but if I go to a less respected university, no one will take my seriously, my family will hate me and I'll get a crappy job.
Take me seriously, sorry, typo.
Reply 8
(:Becca(:
I doubt I can raise my grades enough, but if I go to a less respected university, no one will take my seriously, my family will hate me and I'll get a crappy job.

Yes you can. What are you getting now? And what do you need to get for which unis?
Reply 9

Well what are your predicted grades like? You can get into good uni with something like an ABB at A level.

I'd say that if you're planning on going to Cambridge for example, but are expected to get Cs and Ds then you may be being a tad unrealistic.

So, what are you hoping to get ATM and which unis are you aiming for? Also what subject?
LTC1409
Well what are your predicted grades like? You can get into good uni with something like an ABB at A level.

I'd say that if you're planning on going to Cambridge for example, but are expected to get Cs and Ds then you may be being a tad unrealistic.

So, what are you hoping to get ATM and which unis are you aiming for? Also what subject?

I'm predicted 4 As at AS level, but I'll be lucky to get one. I was hoping to do German with possibly another language at Edinburgh, Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool or Glasgow.
I'm predicted 4 As at AS level, but I'll be lucky to get one. I was hoping to do German with possibly another language at Edinburgh, Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool or Glasgow.

If you can't make the grades then you don't really deserve to go to a respectable uni, that's how the world works remember?
I go to a less respected uni... I think. Only because most unis don't do my course. But going to a less respected uni doesn't actually bother me. I'm still getting a qualification out of it. I don't really see what the problem is.
Well if you aren't willing to try harder and pull ur grades up then your only option is to go to a different university.
atomic-aaron
Well if you aren't willing to try harder and pull ur grades up then your only option is to go to a different university.

It's not that I'm not willing to, I'm just not as smart as people thought.
Reply 15

Well why don't you think you'll achieve those grades? Your teachers clearly think your capable so maybe you're just lacking in self confidence?

Alternatively, if there's really parts of your course that you don't understand/are having trouble with surely you could go and speak to you teachers about it.

Also, they're AS levels. Whilst these are important you can bump them up with your A levels next year can't you?

Just a quick look at the Liverpool website and it seems that you need 3Bs to do a BA in German. Also the same for Leeds for 2011/12 entry. (Just had a quick look at the website.) Do you not think you'll achieve that?

It's deffo worthwhile doing your research and pick a few that want higher grades and a few that want lower.
Reply 16
Bloody hell, going to a "less respected uni" isn't the end of the world. I went to a talk today, by one of the most respected influential barristers, and i think his uni would have been considered as "crappy" but he has gone SO far, what a great guy
LTC1409
Well why don't you think you'll achieve those grades? Your teachers clearly think your capable so maybe you're just lacking in self confidence?

Alternatively, if there's really parts of your course that you don't understand/are having trouble with surely you could go and speak to you teachers about it.

Also, they're AS levels. Whilst these are important you can bump them up with your A levels next year can't you?

Just a quick look at the Liverpool website it seems that your need 3Bs to do a BA in German. Also the same for Leeds for 2011/12 entry. (Just had a quick look at the website.) Do you not think you'll achieve that?

It's deffo worthwhile doing your research and pick a few that want higher grades and a few that want lower.

Liverpool and Leeds seem the only ones which I realistically have a chance of getting into. I'm slightly concerned that my German speaking is in a week and I'm only working at a B right now.
Reply 18
Just because you go to a less respected university, doesn't mean you won't get the job you want and I'm sure your family won't hate you either.

If you really want to get into a top university though, all you have to do is study a bit harder and then if you really want the grades, you'll get them.
Maybe that course is so popular that the university has to really encourage prospective students to stand out in terms of their grades. :smile:

Going to a 'less respected uni' doesn't mean you will get a crappy job.

Latest

Trending

Trending