The Student Room Group

start in first year or work this year?

I'm trying to decide what to do...
I've just spent two of the possibly worse years at my life at a university which I really do not like. I won't go into why because I don't think that it matters.
I have had an offer to study Management at Warwick, but I have to start in my first year. I don't really want to have to start in first year again, although I went to the open day and I really liked the place, and the course seems to allow students to work together a lot more and deal with issues which are important which is not happening with my current degree.

But if I do this then not only will I be in so much debt but I won't be entitled to the maintence loan which would help with everyday living costs. Unfortunately I was too late to apply for second year entry at Durham to study a combined honours degree but I was thinking, if I apply in Septmeber I could get a job and earn some cash and perhaps do an A level to keep my mind active. However, there is no guarantee that I would be accepted.
There are other uni's which I could do the course such as Newcastle for example which I would be happy to go to, but I feel like I need other people's opinions because right now I can't seem to make a decision!
Reply 1
smile09
I'm trying to decide what to do...
I've just spent two of the possibly worse years at my life at a university which I really do not like. I won't go into why because I don't think that it matters.

Ok, but could you realistically stick at it another year? Is it a good uni - ie, would it be worth it in the end in regards to your prospects?

If you were to start over then you would only have to fund the first year - is that realistic? Second year entry sounds like a better option but then as you say, there's no guarantee you would get in - plus by the time you take a year out you would have finished your original degree - how would you then feel at the prospect of having another 2 years to go when you could have been finished by then?
Reply 2
Grotbag
Ok, but could you realistically stick at it another year? Is it a good uni - ie, would it be worth it in the end in regards to your prospects?

If you were to start over then you would only have to fund the first year - is that realistic? Second year entry sounds like a better option but then as you say, there's no guarantee you would get in - plus by the time you take a year out you would have finished your original degree - how would you then feel at the prospect of having another 2 years to go when you could have been finished by then?

The uni that I'm in now isn't that good to be honest. I know that there is a lot of competition and I have been on sites such as uni stats and it doesn't far well. Put it this way, it never gets higher than number 46 in league tables. I know that I shouldn't base it entirely on tables but it doesn't help that when we do group work, the people on my course really couldn't care less and I am the one that is left with all the work to do.
Are you at Swansea by any chance?
Reply 4
[quote="StarryEyed91"]Are you at Swansea by any chance?[/quote

No, I'm not at Swansea.
Reply 5
StarryEyed91
Are you at Swansea by any chance?

Apologies, I'm terrible at quoting back.

No, I'm not at Swansea.
Just try for second year entry in next cycle as well as some 1st year entrys incase you don't get in

Latest

Trending

Trending