The Student Room Group

LSE BSc Economics or LSE BSc Government and Economics

I have a conditional offer from LSE to study pure Economics. Whilst I realise in terms of prestige and difficulty, to be accepted for this is harder than for the combined Government and Economics Course.

However, since applying I have started to become a little disillusioned with my A-Level Maths study and am starting to wonder if I really want to do a degree with such a high concentration of maths in it. I am very interested in the mechanisms of government but still have a passion for Economics (just unsure about the maths).

It would appear a combined course in both these subjects (If I'm able to change which they have said is a possibility or even reapplying next year) is the best course for me to do.

But will changing from the more prestigous degree to a perhaps slightly less regarded one have a significant impact on my career prospects?
Reply 1
just stick with straight econ and choose government modules for your options
I would think at LSE there isn't really such a thing as a 'less prestigious degree'
pow!

Probably the best advice. But do see if this is an option just to be sure.
Do the economics degree and try and avoid the extra maths modules maybe? :smile:
Reply 5
pow!

:ditto: Although in the first year a little stats and linear algebra/calculus is unavoidable. I'd just stick to L101 regardless.
Reply 6
Oldboy5745
:ditto: Although in the first year a little stats and linear algebra/calculus is unavoidable. I'd just stick to L101 regardless.

Would you say that the maths becomes a lot harder? And also going into the second year will the maths get more difficult and is it possible to move slightly away from it?
Reply 7
hoody33
Would you say that the maths becomes a lot harder? And also going into the second year will the maths get more difficult and is it possible to move slightly away from it?

Unless you did Further Maths at A level the MA100 first year course is a serious step up yes; my knowledge was Alevel standard and I'm struggling to revise everything now but it's doable, especially if you maintain a good work ethic throughout the year :smile: My academic advisor said that in the second year the maths remains on the 1st year difficulty and is just applied in Econometrics, Macro and Micro.
Basically, if you manage the 1st year MA100 and ST102, you'll be fine for the rest of the course.
Reply 8
Oldboy5745
Unless you did Further Maths at A level the MA100 first year course is a serious step up yes; my knowledge was Alevel standard and I'm struggling to revise everything now but it's doable, especially if you maintain a good work ethic throughout the year :smile: My academic advisor said that in the second year the maths remains on the 1st year difficulty and is just applied in Econometrics, Macro and Micro.
Basically, if you manage the 1st year MA100 and ST102, you'll be fine for the rest of the course.

Well I am doing Further Maths A-level but I'm finding that pretty hard, so i think i'd really struggle if it gets much harder! I just think if I can change to something I'll enjoy more and that will not lessen my career opportunities too much i should do that instead?
Reply 9
yes in your second year there are no compulsory maths modules.

and you can choose the 'easy' econometrics module (i say 'easy' because of course that is subjective, but I meant it is less maths-intensive).

And ST102 really isnt that hard if you put the work in. And only your 3 best modules count in the first year if MA100 isnt your thing (although it really isnt overly difficult, theres just a lot of it content-wise).

Latest

Trending

Trending