The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Biology: Big step up in difficulty from GCSE.
I'm doing AQA History with Totalitarian (Stalin's Russia), and it's pretty good, but I had done it all before so it's quite easy to learn things. The little topics of the course are Stalin's Rise to Power (really interesting), Industrialisation (quite interesting), Agricultural revolution (quite interesting), The terror State (really interesting), and Stalin's Russia by 1941 (really interesting).
Reply 3
History - Germany: Alright but i find it a bit boring because we covered most the stuff at GCSE.. Other than that its a good subject :smile:
Im doing these as AS already, exams coming up soon.

Was hoping to get the thread more focused on the exams
Reply 5
I'm doing A2 Economics, but I'm not sure if we're the same space as they have been messing with them. I had multiple choice in both papers, Micro and Macro. I'd check you don't also have that.
Reply 6
I did AQA Economics, though under the old syllabus. I thought it was a ok-ish course. Some of the marking were a bit weird, especially for the data responses. Wished there was more maths in the course.
Economics - So much fun! I wish I'd done maths as well :frown:
Biology :smile: just learn the facts like your life depends on it. That is what I did for unit 1 in January and it got me 100%, yet I really am not the most naturally intelligent person.
Flash cards are the way forward, and teaching another person the concepts is the best way to grasp them.
Reply 9
I take edexcel Economics the new syllabus with multiple choice questions in unit 1 and a case study in unit 2. I just picked it up this year didn't do it in GCSE but it's very fun and enjoyable course with the right teachers :smile: i have two teachers one i think is great the other is bad.. N she teachers me unit 2 :frown:
High As A Kite
OCR Eng Lit - Poetry and Prose 1800-1945 - Age of Innocence and Owen Poetry

AQA Economics - Unit 1 Micro (markets and market failure) Unit 2 Macro + Mulitple Choice

Edexcel Biology - Unit 1 and Unit 2

AQA History - Totalitarian Russia and Germany and Medieval England

So jealous of your History course :coma: I do Edexcel, but generally History is a great A level IMO :yep:

I do OCR English Lit. But I'm doing A Handful of Dust and Wordsworth Poetry. I LOVE Wordsworth Poetry and DESPISE A Handful of Dust. The exams are not too difficult though, really.

One thing is that for the poetry you only get one question on one poem so you have to know them all really well (unlike GCSE where you got away with not knowing a few), whereas for the novel you get a choice of two :smile:
economics : centred wholly around the movement of two lines. not difficult but marvellously tedious.
lattywatty
So jealous of your History course :coma: I do Edexcel, but generally History is a great A level IMO :yep:

I do OCR English Lit. But I'm doing A Handful of Dust and Wordsworth Poetry. I LOVE Wordsworth Poetry and DESPISE A Handful of Dust. The exams are not too difficult though, really.

One thing is that for the poetry you only get one question on one poem so you have to know them all really well (unlike GCSE where you got away with not knowing a few), whereas for the novel you get a choice of two :smile:

Do you get a copy of the poem in the Eng Lit Poetry and Prose Exam ?
High As A Kite
Do you get a copy of the poem in the Eng Lit Poetry and Prose Exam ?

Yes, you get a copy of the one poem the question is about, but one of the assessment objectives (AO4) is context and relation to other poems by the same author. Therefore you need to remember key quotations from other poems to use, even if the question is not about them. Some phrases really stick out in your mind anyway so it's certainly not hard to do :smile:

You are not allowed the novel in the exam, though. And I find remember quotations for this a lot harder, for some reason.
lattywatty
Yes, you get a copy of the one poem the question is about, but one of the assessment objectives (AO4) is context and relation to other poems by the same author. Therefore you need to remember key quotations from other poems to use, even if the question is not about them. Some phrases really stick out in your mind anyway so it's certainly not hard to do :smile:

You are not allowed the novel in the exam, though. And I find remember quotations for this a lot harder, for some reason.

Yes, that was what I thought but my friend tried suggesting otherwise.

I agree, it's hard remembering them from the book. I think i might just learn a specific number and fit them into any essay. Also important to bring in critical theory ... that's if you're doing the AOI not sure about other novels
High As A Kite
Yes, that was what I thought but my friend tried suggesting otherwise.

I agree, it's hard remembering them from the book. I think i might just learn a specific number and fit them into any essay. Also important to bring in critical theory ... that's if you're doing the AOI not sure about other novels

Critical theory is AO3 I believe :smile:

AO1 - Quality of writing: appropriate terminology, structure of essay etc.
AO2 - Language, form and structure analysis
AO3 - Different readings of text, ie critical interpretations (AO3 isn't used for poetry, only for prose question)
AO4 - Context - historical, biographical & relation to other texts/poems by same writer

:o:
By AOI i meant the Age of Innocence novel which i am currently studying lol
High As A Kite
By AOI i meant the Age of Innocence novel which i am currently studying lol

Aha, okay. Never mind then :p:
Edexcel biology - all about memorising the info and applying it to the questions they ask you
Reply 19
I personally think Economics is easy and especially so if you can write good English which I assume you will have since you are studying English Lit.

I did English Lit on the AQA board, the level of writing is much higher than GCSE but for me, there isn't really much work outside of lessons. However, coursework is a pain, and you suddenly have to spend several more hours an evening researching and refining your essay.

Latest