The Student Room Group

Toothache, mouth ulcer = stress?

As the title says, I have 2 ulcers, one which is massive and the other in the crevice of my mouth {the dip where the tongue lies}. I also have this dull toothache, however I am not sure whether its related to the mouth ulcer or whether its stress . . .can stress give you toothache? I know it can do with mouth ulcers and being run down . . .:woo: - its driving me nutssss :woo: :woo: :woo:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I know ulcers can happen when you're stressed and tired...not sure about toothache though.
Bonjela + Paracetemol = Non-sore mouth
cactussed
I know ulcers can happen when you're stressed and tired...not sure about toothache though.

No im not sure either . . although this toothache started when the one mouth ulcer was and still is huge . . so perhaps they are linked :dontknow: . .I really don't know.

Thank you for your reply though.
Reply 4
My dentist always knows when I have exams 'cos I get ulcers like everywhere! So yep, they are due to stress!

Remedies:
Salt water rinsing.
Bonjella

Hope you get rid of 'em soon, I know how annoying they are! I've got my brain convinced that I'm not stressed about my A2 exams even though I'm bricking it! - It's working though! No ulcers as of yet!
Progashman
My dentist always knows when I have exams 'cos I get ulcers like everywhere! So yep, they are due to stress!

Remedies:
Salt water rinsing.
Bonjella

Hope you get rid of 'em soon, I know how annoying they are! I've got my brain convinced that I'm not stressed about my A2 exams even though I'm bricking it! - It's working though! No ulcers as of yet!

aaran-j
Bonjela + Paracetemol = Non-sore mouth

I have finished a whole tube almost and taken paracetamol = no difference! Same with the salt water = no difference! I'm using TCP instead. Suppose to dilute but going in neat with it . . my friend suggested rum . . . however im thinking that is probably not the best move :tongue: .. lol
Reply 6
Actually just a thought, is one of the ulcers on the gum near a tooth? I've noticed that when I get ulcers on a gum, it can make a tooth near it have a dull kind of ache.
SevenDoorsDown
Deal with the stress, people deal with alot worse

I'm sure google would be better suited to answer this question, granted it doesn't tell you to stop whining and stfu

:rolleyes: I am asking whether or not stress can be the cause of toothache . . My post has absolutely NOTHING to do with stress directly . . other people in the thread have managed to answer my query maturely, why can't you?? . . . and why don't you STFU or get out! Simples!

cactussed
Actually just a thought, is one of the ulcers on the gum near a tooth? I've noticed that when I get ulcers on a gum, it can make a tooth near it have a dull kind of ache.

Yes, that is exactly what I have got! . .
DancinBallerina
I have finished a whole tube almost and taken paracetamol = no difference! Same with the salt water = no difference! I'm using TCP instead. Suppose to dilute but going in neat with it . . my friend suggested rum . . . however im thinking that is probably not the best move :tongue: .. lol

How long have you had the ulcers? If you've used a whole tube of bonjela, taken paracetemol and there's been no difference at all and you're still in pain in the morning, then phone up your dentist and ask for an urgent appointment because something just doesn't seem right there.
aaran-j
How long have you had the ulcers? If you've used a whole tube of bonjela, taken paracetemol and there's been no difference at all and you're still in pain in the morning, then phone up your dentist and ask for an urgent appointment because something just doesn't seem right there.

4-5days! :/ . . When ever I do get ulcers they always take a while to go, always have done. I am going to keep plodding with the TCP. If that fails, will go to the dentist . .brushing my teeth is a bitch as the bristles rub on the damn ulcer. :woo: ouch!
DancinBallerina
4-5days! :/ . . When ever I do get ulcers they always take a while to go, always have done. I am going to keep plodding with the TCP. If that fails, will go to the dentist . .brushing my teeth is a bitch as the bristles rub on the damn ulcer. :woo: ouch!

My advice is to keep going with the TCP until Sunday night. If the ulcers are still there on Monday morning, then definitely phone your dentist (they will probably refer you to NHS Direct but it's best to speak to your own dentist first).
Reply 11
I usually get ulcers when I'm stressed but never toothache, if you can bear to put salt on your finger and press it on to the ulcer, that seems to work well...bonjela and salt water gargling only seem to do so much for me :sigh: mine always seem to stay around a few days aswell :yep:
aaran-j
My advice is to keep going with the TCP until Sunday night. If the ulcers are still there on Monday morning, then definitely phone your dentist (they will probably refer you to NHS Direct but it's best to speak to your own dentist first).

Monday = bank holiday! :tongue: . . will ring NHS direct though and see what they say if TCP fails to heal the damn thing.

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated :smile:
skipp
I usually get ulcers when I'm stressed but never toothache, if you can bear to put salt on your finger and press it on to the ulcer, that seems to work well...bonjela and salt water gargling only seem to do so much for me :sigh: mine always seem to stay around a few days aswell :yep:

LoL I did the pure salt thing and I was running around the house like a nut . .my brother found it highly amusing, I did not! :/ lol.
Reply 14
DancinBallerina
LoL I did the pure salt thing and I was running around the house like a nut . .my brother found it highly amusing, I did not! :/ lol.

Ye it stings really horribly doesn't it? :s-smilie: not sure sting is even the right word for it...

Never used tcp before...might try that out :smile:
skipp
Ye it stings really horribly doesn't it? :s-smilie: not sure sting is even the right word for it...

Never used tcp before...might try that out :smile:

:yep: . . it sure does.

Yea TCP {diluted with water} usually works pretty quick, so hoping it'll do the trick and hopefully stop the dull toothache as the ulcer is lying right on the tooth that is giving me trouble . . .
DancinBallerina
Monday = bank holiday! :tongue: . . will ring NHS direct though and see what they say if TCP fails to heal the damn thing.

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated :smile:

Damn :banghead:

No problem :smile:
Reply 17
DancinBallerina
:yep: . . it sure does.

Yea TCP {diluted with water} usually works pretty quick, so hoping it'll do the trick and hopefully stop the dull toothache as the ulcer is lying right on the tooth that is giving me trouble . . .

TCP's pretty much good for everything it seems :p: so definitely will try that...sounds like an odd place for an ulcer though :s: probably not surprising it's giving you toothache, just got to hope it'll disappear soon :yep:
skipp
TCP is pretty much good for everything it seems :p: so definitely will try that...sounds like an odd place for an ulcer though :s: probably not surprising it's giving you toothache, just got to hope it'll disappear soon :yep:

LoL TCP is a god send . .guaranteed if my family go anywhere and someone gets a scratch, cut, bite and etc = mum to the rescue with TCP lol :tongue:. So yes try that next time you have an ulcer and see how you get on.

I get mouth ulcers in all places in my gob. I have had one next to my tonsil before, that was incredibly painful. Couldn't swallow and when I put the Bonjela on it, it just slipped off as I swallowed it :/. I hope it buggers off too as I can't sleep or concentrate on my work . .so going to TCP up this weekend and hope for the best. :yep:.
Reply 19
DancinBallerina
LoL TCP is a god send . .guaranteed if my family go anywhere and someone gets a scratch, cut, bite and etc = mum to the rescue with TCP lol :tongue:. So yes try that next time you have an ulcer and see how you get on.

I get mouth ulcers in all places in my gob. I have had one next to my tonsil before, that was incredibly painful. Couldn't swallow and when I put the Bonjela on it, it just slipped off as I swallowed it :/. I hope it buggers off too as I can't sleep or concentrate on my work . .so going to TCP up this weekend and hope for the best. :yep:.

Ugh that sounds painful

I had one at the top of my throat in January...had the flu at the time aswell, so not a good combination :no:

Although that does remind me of my mom's ultimate ulcer cure...sleep, I suppose she has a point there :sigh:

Best of luck with the tcp :wavey: