The Student Room Group

student with dyspraxia, how do you cope?

I'm dyspraxic and dyslexic and I am really struggling with university work. I wasn't diagnosed till 2nd year of university.

I study architecture and found it really hard in first year, but did okay with grades between 55-65 for my coursework.

I have always submitted my coursework on time as I feel having extended time shouldn't be used just because of learning disabilities.

I used a lap top for all my work which helps it look neater and the DSA are planning on getting me a new imac, but i don't think it makes me any more efficient. I have motor skills problems with using the mouse for cadding and photoshop. I already have a special thumb mouse but i still struggle and i find typing hard as well.

I have outbursts in the computer labs because the mouse arrow doesnt go where i want it to go, so i stress out after 20 minutes of sitting at a pc. other student always tell me to calm down but i am already calm!

The main problem i have is execution of my ideas. nothing every goes the way my brain thinks and half the time i forget what i am doing because it is going 100 mph.
i find this really frustration.

I have a diary chained to my hand bag, which i carry all the time. but even then i do not check it everyday, as i never have my bag on me when im at home indoors!
i also lose my stuff all the time.

I really need help. I'm tried slowly down, the doctor even gave me some medication but that just made me paranoid.

I really need some advice.

how do you cope?

oh , btw. this message took me an hour to write!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well I'm not dyspraxic, I am dyslexic, but well the thing that shocked me when I had all these extra allowances shoved at me was how unfair it felt. I didn't want the extra time, or a different room. But, I learnt that they were there for a reason, what I think you should do is try to embrace the extras that they have offered you, and understand they are there for your benefit, to put you at an equal standing to all other students.

I just have to say though, good on you for taking something challenging and sticking with it.
Reply 2
I'm dyslexic and I stopped receiving help when I left primary school because of a mix up with my secondary school. It affected my grades then but I think I'm stronger for it now.

I disclose it on the forms at registration every year then tick the box saying no I don't want help but every year they ring me constantly and send me letters until I talk to them saying yes I understood the form and no i still don't want any help. They must get extra funding for disabled students.

I'm glad that I stopped receiving help now because I've learned to cope and basically exercise all the other brain muscles that do work well to make up for it. I was the top student on my course overall (in essay+design modules, I study architecture as well), never revised for or failed an exam because I know to show up and listen to the lecturer so I don't have to rely on reading it (and potentially mixing it up) later.

I will never disclose it on a job application because the real world doesn't work that way, you wont be given extra time or a new computer you just wont be hired in the first place. When I see people receiving a lot of help I sort of have mixed emotions part of me thinks that they should get it but part of me thinks they need to take it upon themselves to figure out how best to deal with it with what they've got.
Reply 3
yeahyeahyeahs
I have a diary chained to my hand bag, which i carry all the time. but even then i do not check it everyday, as i never have my bag on me when im at home indoors!

Do you have your phone with you all the time? Most do have calenders built in.
Titch89
Do you have your phone with you all the time? Most do have calenders built in.

I've tried the calender on there. theres just too many notes for the phone to handle and i find the keypad on the mobile to be annoying. they are just too small and i even hate doing texts on there as well.
KeyserNI
I'm dyslexic and I stopped receiving help when I left primary school because of a mix up with my secondary school. It affected my grades then but I think I'm stronger for it now.

I disclose it on the forms at registration every year then tick the box saying no I don't want help but every year they ring me constantly and send me letters until I talk to them saying yes I understood the form and no i still don't want any help. They must get extra funding for disabled students.

I'm glad that I stopped receiving help now because I've learned to cope and basically exercise all the other brain muscles that do work well to make up for it. I was the top student on my course overall (in essay+design modules, I study architecture as well), never revised for or failed an exam because I know to show up and listen to the lecturer so I don't have to rely on reading it (and potentially mixing it up) later.

I will never disclose it on a job application because the real world doesn't work that way, you wont be given extra time or a new computer you just wont be hired in the first place. When I see people receiving a lot of help I sort of have mixed emotions part of me thinks that they should get it but part of me thinks they need to take it upon themselves to figure out how best to deal with it with what they've got.

I'm interested to know what were your coping strategies when you did your part 1?

a lot of my problems is to due with poor motor control and auditory memory. I have tried everything so far to keep up. I brought myself a dictaphone so i can recap on lecture notes, but then i sometimes end up losing it because i get confused and don't remember where i put it. then i get stress out etc.

then there is the computer issues. I can not cad as fast as everyone else and even during model making, my skills are horrendous. the whole thing ends up breaking apart. the outcome of the work is pretty good quality but the amount of time is a lot longer than if another student in my class had done it.

i realised i have a concentration problem, so i stopped listening to music and binned my cds. this was to help me concentrate.
i even stuck blue acetate on my monitor after i realised that i suffered from visual glare when i did cadding and photoshop.
like sometimes i just don't know where the mouse arrow is on my screen.

i tried everything. i even paid for some text reader to install on my computer after they told me i was dyslexic.

the list goes on.
Reply 6
Can you touch type? I'm dyspraxic and have trouble writing longhand, but I found typing easier when I could touch type. Although I will never get a really high speed, at least it's better than it was.
I keep a small size moleskine calendar diary with me at all times. Like literally on me, it fits in my pocket so then I am never stuck without it.
I also try to put essential things in the same place, and get a routine going, like I hang my bag on my door, keys on a hook, glasses by the tv, phone by my bed etc. Sounds really basic I know, but it helps me when I am going out as otherwise I tend to forget things.
I use these kind of home made flow chart diagrams to try to manage and document my ideas as otherwise they all tend to run into each other and I lose the essence of it.
(BTW I'm studying art).
Post it notes and lists also help me...
Reply 7
OMG.
I thought there was no one studying dyspraxia and architecture. Surely there must be but after almost 2 years of searching the internet, I didn't find anything.
Can I ask how do you handle drawing? I'm basically teaching myself how to draw and it's been quite difficult.

I have ADHD, dyspraxia and with the dyspraxia assessment, found out I had visual stress which would explain my constant headaches when studying.
I'm not coping.

I don't see the problem with extra time, it helps me.
Reply 8
what kind of phone do you have? I have a smart phone, an Acer and it's really quite handy for me.

If I'm feeling especially fumbly one day, I use the pen to send messages. It has Windows CE operating system so I can use some windows programs. My entire agenda is on there, and I should synchronise it with my laptop so I don't lose my details. I should.

I make notes to myself and I downloaded some music and sounds on there to use as alarms cause I'm sensitive to noise and want alarms that don't startle me.
I have Warren G, Regulate for my reminders, chirpy sounds for my alarm, stuff like that.

yeahyeahyeahs
I've tried the calender on there. theres just too many notes for the phone to handle and i find the keypad on the mobile to be annoying. they are just too small and i even hate doing texts on there as well.
Ebreni
OMG.
I thought there was no one studying dyspraxia and architecture. Surely there must be but after almost 2 years of searching the internet, I didn't find anything.
Can I ask how do you handle drawing? I'm basically teaching myself how to draw and it's been quite difficult.

I have ADHD, dyspraxia and with the dyspraxia assessment, found out I had visual stress which would explain my constant headaches when studying.
I'm not coping.

I don't see the problem with extra time, it helps me.

there are two other students in my year group that are both dyslexic and dyspraxic. they seem to cope okay on the course but it depends how bad you have it.
plus they were diagnosed very earlier on in their secondary school years, so by the time they got to university, they could cope with their learning difficulties.

as for hand drawing. i failed first year in the hand drawing module and had to resubmit three times and only ended up with a B!!
There isnt much i can say, except there is a drawing book you can get
this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Architectural-Graphics-Francis-D-Ching/dp/0471287539/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274304606&sr=1-13
but its all about practice! learn how to hold the pen and where to use the various different pens for line thickness.
also using masking tape underneath the ruler to make it a bit more raised off the paper, helps the munging.
Ebreni
what kind of phone do you have? I have a smart phone, an Acer and it's really quite handy for me.

If I'm feeling especially fumbly one day, I use the pen to send messages. It has Windows CE operating system so I can use some windows programs. My entire agenda is on there, and I should synchronise it with my laptop so I don't lose my details. I should.

I make notes to myself and I downloaded some music and sounds on there to use as alarms cause I'm sensitive to noise and want alarms that don't startle me.
I have Warren G, Regulate for my reminders, chirpy sounds for my alarm, stuff like that.

how much did your phone cost? i have a cheap basic nokia phone. it doesnt do much except ring and text!
Reply 11
I got it as a Christmas present. It cost about 200 euros but I think it's cheaper now. So maybe 150 pounds now?
yeahyeahyeahs
how much did your phone cost? i have a cheap basic nokia phone. it doesnt do much except ring and text!
yeahyeahyeahs
I'm dyspraxic and dyslexic and I am really struggling with university work. I wasn't diagnosed till 2nd year of university.

I study architecture and found it really hard in first year, but did okay with grades between 55-65 for my coursework.

I have always submitted my coursework on time as I feel having extended time shouldn't be used just because of learning disabilities.

I used a lap top for all my work which helps it look neater and the DSA are planning on getting me a new imac, but i don't think it makes me any more efficient. I have motor skills problems with using the mouse for cadding and photoshop. I already have a special thumb mouse but i still struggle and i find typing hard as well.

I have outbursts in the computer labs because the mouse arrow doesnt go where i want it to go, so i stress out after 20 minutes of sitting at a pc. other student always tell me to calm down but i am already calm!

The main problem i have is execution of my ideas. nothing every goes the way my brain thinks and half the time i forget what i am doing because it is going 100 mph.
i find this really frustration.

i also lose my stuff all the time.

I really need help. I'm tried slowly down, the doctor even gave me some medication but that just made me paranoid.

I really need some advice.

how do you cope?

oh , btw. this message took me an hour to write!

I also have dyspraxia, but was diagnosed much earlier. I typically get extra time and either a scribe or a computer for exams. I am a very slow, messy writer and I cannot write for long periods without getting horrible cramps.
Forgetful absent-mindedness is also a problem, and I have had a PDA to help with organisation, although it has improved over the years anyway.
Diaries are also hard to remember :dontknow:

It's a shame that computers are also frustrating for you. Perhaps it would help to adjust your settings for accessibility?
Reply 13
I know people (they do have completely different conditions) who use talking software. So, instead of using a mouse to do work, they talk into the computer and tell the computer what they need to do. IE, "Go to the start menu and go to internet explorer and open internet explorer". Is this type of software the sort of thing you'd need?
I've not long finished my first year of my degree, and didnt recieve any help until my summer exams.

Take advantage of everything you get.

Set alarms on your mobile, have a weekly timetable up. Get a board and pin up notes to help you remember if neccesary!

I have trouble concentrating and need the room to myself, reader and extra time, i cant concentrate in exams and even if i dont go into my extra time, knowing its there helps me.

Also learn on time management, and break down everything into super small and sizeable chunks.

I only received help in college and even then i failed and had to retake my gcse maths three times until i got a C. School wrote me off altogether as well

I guess i only cope as i have a very stubborn personality and wont give up alot of the time, i have struggled though this year but i'm hoping to have done enough to get a pass this year and i eventually want to a first class degree just to prove to people i'm not worth writing off.
Reply 15
Do you have a mentor who can help you?
Reply 16
Sorry to butt in!!
My Son has Dyspraxia, diagnosed last year. He's 9 and we're thinking about secondary school. He really struggles with handwriting and maths but his reading is way above his expected level.

I realise that there will be lots of variety in the way the condition shows up in different people but I wondered what, if anything would have been really heplful to you when you were in secondary school or if there's a good way of tackling things. I want to start badgering them now so he has the best chance of success..

It can be heartbreaking when I see him try and try to do his homework as he's really bright and he never gives up, unlike me. I was a lazy git!:colone:

Thanks..

Jim
I've got mild dyspraxia, and whilst it isn't bad... I can really sympathise with what you're saying.
Original post by Domestos
Sorry to butt in!!
My Son has Dyspraxia, diagnosed last year. He's 9 and we're thinking about secondary school. He really struggles with handwriting and maths but his reading is way above his expected level.

I realise that there will be lots of variety in the way the condition shows up in different people but I wondered what, if anything would have been really heplful to you when you were in secondary school or if there's a good way of tackling things. I want to start badgering them now so he has the best chance of success..

It can be heartbreaking when I see him try and try to do his homework as he's really bright and he never gives up, unlike me. I was a lazy git!:colone:

Thanks..

Jim

Hi Jim

I was dianosed at a young age as been dyslexic and dyscalculic before my dianostion of been dyspraxic.

As a person who never received the help at school despite my parents trying. The best thing before your son who sounds like such an amazing guy.

Before the choosing of your preferred secondary schoo. Go in and talk to members of the school head teacher/deputy head and members of support at the school and ask what help will be available to your son.

Another thing is to look into getting tutor for your son after school to help improve his skills or ask dyslexia action into which way to look into help http://www.dyslexiaaction.org.uk/ and possibly look into dyspraxia foundation http://www.dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk/

Other possibly is to go to a speech therapist as well to help with reading, writing and any speech issues. Information from nhs http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Dyspraxia-(childhood)/Pages/Treatment.aspx

Unfortuntly some schools do not still give an fair education to all pupils within their care and education. I am living proof of this, as despite the law saying otherwise and I have been left behind in my education and to a degree still am left behind by a small percentage.

Keep at the schools to give your son the very best that he can get, he sounds such a smart kid already. I hope my help you :smile:
Reply 19
It's very frustrating, my problems are mainly not taking in what I've just read, mixing up words and letters both verbally and through writing (not in a dyslexic sense, I know what I want to do, but I end up not doing it).

I'm also dyscalculic.

Basically I just spend longer on my essays and my notes have scribbles all over them. And I write lists of numbers like 1,2,3,5 :erm:

I get 25% extra time in exams which helps me correct those stupid mistakes.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending