Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Please, no more sub-forums!

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It seems that each time i come on there are a couple more! I appreciate that this is an attempt to streamline the forum, but I preferred it a bit simpler, with 4 sub forums max, for example. Personally i don't see the need for a separate oxbridge forum - there is already a university one - or a books, tv and film forum, which i reckon won't be used much.

What does everyone else think?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The books, film and TV sub-forum has more posts in it than all but two of the other sub-forums but only two threads, though they are amongst the longest UKL threads ever.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    The books, film and TV sub-forum has more posts in it than all but two of the other sub-forums but only two threads, though they are amongst the longest UKL threads ever.
    Well whats the point in have a subforum to house only two threads. They are hardy clogging up the main forum - which I can hardly see now - I have to scroll down everytime. Sort it out d.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ensocopier)
    Well whats the point in have a subforum to house only two threads. They are hardy clogging up the main forum - which I can hardly see now - I have to scroll down everytime. Sort it out d.
    Agreed, the sub forums do seem to be a good idea, just takes a little getting used to is all.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Agreed, the sub forums do seem to be a good idea, just takes a little getting used to is all.
    I think you missed my point. I'm ok with about 3 subforums, not 5.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    But they take up a lot of bandwidth cos they are long threads.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Subforums got tried for the first time in the summer, but there were about 7 and nobody liked them, so they were removed. The university subforum used to be a different site (called Uk-student.info), but it gets used far more now that its a sub-forum than when it was just a link at the top of the page. I think the subforums are much better now than they were the first time they were attempted. But the forum wasn't so crowded then, and there weren't as many threads or members, which is why i think it didn't work then, but does now.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think you missed my point. I'm ok with about 3 subforums, not 5.
    5 is alright, but 9-10 would be getting a little extreme
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    5 is alright, but 9-10 would be getting a little extreme
    But the oxbridge forum is supposed to be in the uni subforum itself! But the mods have messed up and tehres like 2 sub forums now linking to the same area...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    But the oxbridge forum is supposed to be in the uni subforum itself! But the mods have messed up and tehres like 2 sub forums now linking to the same area...
    i know....rolleyes!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    is d taking the piss? He knows that he hasn't got anywhere near full support for his subforums, but most of us shut up just to let him have a few. Now every couple of days he keeps on adding more and more, which is just taking the piss. Has he heard of anything called balance?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanMushMan)
    is d taking the piss? He knows that he hasn't got anywhere near full support for his subforums, but most of us shut up just to let him have a few. Now every couple of days he keeps on adding more and more, which is just taking the piss. Has he heard of anything called balance?
    erm no! probably because he isnt around much any longer to hear it!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serendipity)
    I preferred it a bit simpler, with 4 sub forums max?
    0 sub forums MAX would be better
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken)
    But they take up a lot of bandwidth cos they are long threads.
    Bandwidth != Diskspace
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dazmanultra)
    Bandwidth != Diskspace
    would you like to elabourate?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I like the subforums I find it loads better.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think it is getting a little much now. Subforums for 'About', 'University' and 'Academic' is enough. I know the oxbridge and personal statements ones are subforums of the university one so why have them displayed on the main page as well?

Anyway, I think if any more are added it will ruin this entire site.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    One question, why is there a UCAS personal statement subforum, when the the university subforum states that UCAS is included in that?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Ucas section is a subforum in the university section.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikNak)
    I think it is getting a little much now. Subforums for 'About', 'University' and 'Academic' is enough. I know the oxbridge and personal statements ones are subforums of the university one so why have them displayed on the main page as well?

Anyway, I think if any more are added it will ruin this entire site.
    I agree!!!!

It's just dumb, isn't it. And people don't use them properly.
Updated: January 4, 2004
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.