The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Charrp
so question b won't be about weimar?

Nope, the section A and B questions are seperate units and Weimar is only section A.
Reply 61
davedave4619
Yeah. Weimar could only come up in Part A, though it doesn't have to. Part B will definetly be about the Nazis 1933-39.

oh wow.. i didn't know this! my teacher has told us nothing!
we also learnt a controversy for B could be 'who was responsible for the holocaust' like were all the germans involved..
what have you learned about the structure of a sources essay?
Charrp
oh wow.. i didn't know this! my teacher has told us nothing!
we also learnt a controversy for B could be 'who was responsible for the holocaust' like were all the germans involved..
what have you learned about the structure of a sources essay?

I'm afraid we havn't been told that much on essay structure. Basically what we were told though, was to go through all the themes relating to the question that you can find from the sources, and cross-compare them at all times. And to never either go through the sources one at a time, or to completely ignore them and answer the question using just your own knowledge. We can only bring in facts, figures, historiography etc if we can find either a direct reference in one of the sources, or can infer it from one of the sources.

Sorry that's all I know. What were you told to do?
Reply 63
davedave4619
I'm afraid we havn't been told that much on essay structure. Basically what we were told though, was to go through all the themes relating to the question that you can find from the sources, and cross-compare them at all times. And to never either go through the sources one at a time, or to completely ignore them and answer the question using just your own knowledge. We can only bring in facts, figures, historiography etc if we can find either a direct reference in one of the sources, or can infer it from one of the sources.

Sorry that's all I know. What were you told to do?

well that's good enough advice for me! can the A question be on anything then?!
well we haven't done any essays all year! but looking through the spec we were told to draw points for and against from the sources and then make a point from the source back up with evidence from the source/other sources and then explain with your own knowledge..
and then to do that but for the against statement

and that there will always be a source inbetween so to make some kind of ''it's a complex issue'' last paragraph before concluding.

how long do these essays have to be?
Charrp
well that's good enough advice for me! can the A question be on anything then?!
well we haven't done any essays all year! but looking through the spec we were told to draw points for and against from the sources and then make a point from the source back up with evidence from the source/other sources and then explain with your own knowledge..
and then to do that but for the against statement

and that there will always be a source inbetween so to make some kind of ''it's a complex issue'' last paragraph before concluding.

how long do these essays have to be?

2-3 pages A4. The part A question could be on any of the other topics on the syllabus 1900-45.
Reply 65
davedave4619
2-3 pages A4. The part A question could be on any of the other topics on the syllabus 1900-45.

so about 5 points really? or like 3 for, 3 against?
brilliant.. thanks :smile:
Charrp
so about 5 points really? or like 3 for, 3 against?
brilliant.. thanks :smile:

No problem. I'm sure 5 would be enough, but just as many as you feel like you can get out of the sources.
[QUOTE="mhuss"]
oh me too! There seems to be so much to revise for this and none of it is going in! i don't know if you use getrevising.co.uk but I just found some really useful powerpoints on Weimar and Nazi Germany there[/QUOTE

Yes!! There is so much to remember so i've made a revision timetable that i am kind of sticking to!! Are you studying both controversies??

If it it the same powerpoint? Very detailed, last slide on the holocaust? Do you think you can just learn that?, I need a C, do I need more information? x
Reply 68
Miley Cyrus

If it it the same powerpoint? Very detailed, last slide on the holocaust? Do you think you can just learn that?, I need a C, do I need more information? x

Yeah that one. I wouldn't advise just learning that but it would be really useful alongside your own notes. I think you need more because that powerpoint isn't specifically for our course, and also to write well about it you need to have a proper understanding of everything which you won't get just from a powerpoint written by somebody else.
What textbooks do you use? x
Reply 70
I use the Edexcel course one by Collier though I have one by Hite and Hinton too.
Reply 71
How is everyone's revison going?????
I'm confused about the controversy's we get to pick in the exam, can someone please explain?! x
Reply 73
mhuss
How is everyone's revison going?????

Getting pretty nervous!
I'm only revising chapters 1,2,3,4,5! and think it's risky!
Need to work on exam technique as well!

What about you?
Reply 74
Can anyone suggest essay structures (that work..) for part A and B?
haaaza23
Can anyone suggest essay structures (that work..) for part A and B?
Actually question B will be of similar structure to your unit 2 paper. Obviously it will be more advanced.

Regardless, the sources guide the answer. This means that you refer to the historical interpretations such as Germany was responsible for pursuing a war of conquest and aggression according to Fischer. And then you add your own knowledge and cross reference with other sources.

Your question A (sorry im working back to front) will be similar structured to the Unit 1 - in the sense that you have no sources and work from own knowledge.
You will need strong knowledge, but technique is important.

Point, Evidence, Explain Qualify/contrast
Qualifying is in particular very important because you show the limitations of the argument. You are looking to show both sides of the argument and come to a weighted conclusion in the end.
:h:
Reply 76
BODisGOD
Getting pretty nervous!
I'm only revising chapters 1,2,3,4,5! and think it's risky!
Need to work on exam technique as well!

What about you?

I am revising both controversies because i am scared of not having the choice and freaking out in the exam (i know- wuss) and i don't know which controversy i prefer ww1 or effieincy of the nazi state just don't want the first part of the nazi one to come up (opposition).
I just don't know how i am going to remember it all.
If i were you i would also look at unit 6 and 9 as section A questions may be on them- but ignore me if it suits you:smile:
Reply 77
Miley Cyrus
I'm confused about the controversy's we get to pick in the exam, can someone please explain?! x

Section B of the exam paper will give you a choice of 2 questions, one on each controversy.
The first controversy being - to what extent was Germany responsible for WW1? The main things you need to look at are German foreign policy c.1900-14 and the controversy surrounding Germany's 'war guilt'.
The second controversy is how popular was the Nazi regime and how effectively did the Nazi state operate from 1933-39? The main issues for this one are degree of consent the Nazi regime received, extent to which this was reliant on terror and repression, the role of Hitler, cumulative radicalisation and whether Nazi state was a chaotic 'polycracy'.

You do only need to revise one of these but then your giving yourself no option in the exam, i'm only going to revise the first one.
Reply 78
mhuss
what does everyone think will or would like to come in june?
One the pec section A was on the impact of ww1 on social and political tensions and the choatic nature of the nazi structure causing failure in production in ww2. Section B was on decisions being made in Berlin determined the outbreak of ww1 and Nazi regime depeding on popularity rather than fear.
I would hate for the popularity one to come up personally i think the efficiency side is more accessible!!

Where is this spec? My teacher can't find it, and I've looked on Edexcel website... :frown:
section A bit on Nazi state & war production sounds awful! I would have no clue :frown:
I'm genuinely bricking this exam...

NEED AN A!!! :eek3:

Anyone got any exam tips for this? Essay structure etc?

Also, has everyone been taught the course through a series of booklets this year? I can't stand them :angry:

How did you find the way its been done?

Latest

Trending

Trending