The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Chances? Law & Business.. 2011 Entry.

Hi TSRians,
I've spoken to a few people on here about applying to Warwick next year but just have another question.

So my scenario, I have average GCSE's (few A's , majority B's), my A Levels I'm on track for AAB, most likely having a gap year to do 2 more AS's (Economics & History).

Now for 2011 entry I want to apply for Law & Business combined, Warwick being one of my choices (potentially), they are asking for AABc for next year (could change to AAA, if so I'm screwed by its AABc for now) I know I'm at a disadvantage with my GCSE's but was wondering, say if I do get AAB would I be a less of a disadvantage when applying as I already have 3 A Levels when applying rather than just predictions alone (if that makes sense)?

I know its highly unlikely but was just wondering, I'm not pinning all of my hopes on Warwick but hey I would like to go here, course is what I wanna do and whatnot.

So opinions please?

Also was just wondering what I could do in terms of EC's to help enhance my application, I have a job (supervisor), I have work experience lined up at Enrst & Young and Accenture, looking for something law related to do for experience at the moment, I have volunteered and still can now, have had plenty of roles of responsibility but just wondering what else I could do?
So opinions please?

Reply 1
Anyone? Lol.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Nayberay
Anyone? Lol.

Ok, I'm not sure about the entry statistics for the Economics department (or if they interview or anything) so I can't really comment on how many offers they make compared to how many applicants.

What I can say is for you to get an amazing PS lined up for September (and apply ASAP) as well as a great reference.

In terms of work experience, some of the killer jobs will be something like a 6 month paid internship at KPMG or Rothschild or Deloitte and other similar companies. It is these opportunities that I would have considered to take a gap year before uni for. A long placement of more than a couple of months will really help when applying for internships in your second year (it will infact put you ahead of most other applicants). What profession are you looking to head into? Perhaps you can ask for a bit more help for good preinternships in the relevant forum on TSR (for example there's a internship thread for school students on the IB&C forum).
Ratings on getting the work experience at Accenture & Ernst first of all. I'd say for other EC stuff you should read some law related books to mention on your PS "Learning The Law", "The Law Machine" and Letters To A Law student are the obvious ones. You could also see if you find some Law Taster Courses during the summer as well
Reply 4
TheTallOne
Ok, I'm not sure about the entry statistics for the Economics department (or if they interview or anything) so I can't really comment on how many offers they make compared to how many applicants.

What I can say is for you to get an amazing PS lined up for September (and apply ASAP) as well as a great reference.

In terms of work experience, some of the killer jobs will be something like a 6 month paid internship at KPMG or Rothschild or Deloitte and other similar companies. It is these opportunities that I would have considered to take a gap year before uni for. A long placement of more than a couple of months will really help when applying for internships in your second year (it will infact put you ahead of most other applicants). What profession are you looking to head into? Perhaps you can ask for a bit more help for good preinternships in the relevant forum on TSR (for example there's a internship thread for school students on the IB&C forum).

Sorry a little confused at the bold, I'm looking to apply for Law & Business combined there not Economics :s-smilie: unless they fall under the same department, if thats the case then my bad :o:

Yeah as soon as exams are over I'm gonna sort out the PS and get as many drafts done as possible and the reference I have covered :smile:

Oo so are you advising me to apply as soon as UCAS opens? I was gonna apply in mid October but looks like I might apply straight away..

Thanks for the ideas, I'm going to have a look now..
Reply 5
Tha_Black_Shinobi
Ratings on getting the work experience at Accenture & Ernst first of all. I'd say for other EC stuff you should read some law related books to mention on your PS "Learning The Law", "The Law Machine" and Letters To A Law student are the obvious ones. You could also see if you find some Law Taster Courses during the summer as well

Thanks. :smile: I'm happy about securing them too!
Ok I'll have a look at those books and taster courses.. ok I'll also have a look at that.
Nayberay
Sorry a little confused at the bold, I'm looking to apply for Law & Business combined there not Economics :s-smilie: unless they fall under the same department, if thats the case then my bad :o:

Yeah as soon as exams are over I'm gonna sort out the PS and get as many drafts done as possible and the reference I have covered :smile:

Oo so are you advising me to apply as soon as UCAS opens? I was gonna apply in mid October but looks like I might apply straight away..

Thanks for the ideas, I'm going to have a look now..

Yeah I meant Law. I was thinking you were part of the Economics department then I realised it was Law and BS, but I forgot to change the first bit :p: Still I don't know the entry stuff for Law.

Well apply as soon as you think everything is perfect. The earlier you apply the more offers are up for grabs (although they may not give a decision for months). If you apply on the January deadline, then many offers would have been given out by then and I think there is a lower chance of getting an offer.

Latest