The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Aye well in Cardiff, my dads a Scunthorpe fan and he testified more than anyone the talent that Nigel Adkins possessed, interested to see how he'll take on the premier league i'm sure they will cope.

Another season in the 2nd tier for my beloved boro unfortunately but they shall prevail.

Who's everyone tipping for the play offs? i have a sneaking suspicion that West Ham will miss out. Don't know why but my gut says Birmingham City.
I've been thinking Birmingham City for a while, although with Matt Phillips at Blackpool, anything can happen.

I'd be surprised if Cardiff went up, although I said that about Swansea last season. :lol:
Got a feeling Blackpool will do it!
If we repeat the results we got in the league we will get to Wembley. I'm really worried about phillips now though, hes going to pop up in the last minute i know it!!

I just hope we can bring a draw back to St Andrews then I fancy our chances. Very wise of Chrissy Hughton to rest Burke and MarlonLAD yesterday. Hopefully Mutch is back for the first leg because N'daw was awful.

Glad we made playoffs, no football season should end in April!!
Original post by ipswichblade
No pressure on the Blades now. Nobody expects us to get 2nd as it's in Wednesday's hands. All the pressure now on Wednesday! We go to Exeter and win the game and hope...all we can do. :biggrin:

I'd say theres tons of pressure on both of us to win our games and challenge tbf...
Good luck anyhow we're both gunna need it to survive the tense last day haha :biggrin:
Original post by nixonsjellybeans
I'd say theres tons of pressure on both of us to win our games and challenge tbf...
Good luck anyhow we're both gunna need it to survive the tense last day haha :biggrin:

Yes but more pressure on Wednesday now. Was on us up until then as it was in our hands but now it's swapped over. Going to be mad!
COME ON WEDNESDAY! Were we gone before the derby game 9 weeks ago, we won that and unbeaten ever since. What a mad 9 weeks, what a mad 2 weeks. I was coming back from Colchester on the train 15 days ago absolutely gutted thinking it was over. It was a long near 7 hour trip back to Derbyshire after.

Wednesday and United are the 2nd and 3rd best sides in the division, the table does not lie and whichever side ends up in the play-offs deserves to go to Wembley and take promotion there. Sheffield United have done very well to keep 2nd spot for so long with Wednesday in terrific form (our longest unbeaten run in many years) unfortunately for United they've dropped points against two other very good sides. If we do finish 2nd, I'd like United/Stevenage to follow us.

I was a nervous wreck from 3pm until that final whistle at Bramhall Lane last night, me and my Dad sat round my laptop watching an online feed. It was an outstanding game of football, BOTH sides played their part. I 'enjoyed' watching Sheffield United play, well done Blades for that. However it is cruel but thanks to MK Dons and Stevenage we have finally pinched 2nd place for more than a day. We just need to do the business next Saturday and to ensure nerves are settled, a pre match pub crawl is in order.
(edited 11 years ago)
The play offs are a joke when the team in 3rd can have around 20 points more than the team they meet in the semi who finish in 6th. We could have 92 points and not go up!
It actually takes the piss. Top 3 should always goes up. Ridiculous. There's no play-offs for relegation!
Original post by ChapelTom
It actually takes the piss. Top 3 should always goes up. Ridiculous. There's no play-offs for relegation!

Keeps it exciting.

Can you imagine how boring it would be without play-offs. Means more teams have something to play for right up until the end of the season.
Original post by original_username
Keeps it exciting.

Can you imagine how boring it would be without play-offs. Means more teams have something to play for right up until the end of the season.

That's all very well apart from when your team is involved and finishes 3rd but doesn't go up!
Sadly its the best option available :frown: otherwise nobody has anything to play for; but its guttering that 3rd can lose to 5th...
Original post by nixonsjellybeans
Sadly its the best option available :frown: otherwise nobody has anything to play for; but its guttering that 3rd can lose to 5th...

To 6th... and it could very well happen as none of the Sheffield clubs has been able to defeat little old Stevenage ("No money. No experience. No chance" as one Wycombe-based journalist said of us at the start of the season) in four games this season.

Provided we beat Bury on Saturday anyway :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6993
Playoffs are good, without them midtable teams would have had nowt to play for for months. Everyone knows the drill at the start of the season, you finish 3rd and you're in the playoffs. Simple. Maybe I'm biased because we have a 100% playoff record, Sheff Utd don't do playoffs. :tongue:

For the record I wanted Utd to get automatic promotion and not the frigging Wendies. Wilson is a serial bottler though. A few weeks ago I was thinking that he surely couldn't mess this one up...

Anyway I'm looking forward to being back in L1 next season, we might win some matches for a change. We've only won 8 out of the last 53 league games so we have a chance to start again with a new team. Still unsure about whether we have the right manager, though most of our fans would answer a straight 'no' to that.
Original post by Introvert2020
To 6th... and it could very well happen as none of the Sheffield clubs has been able to defeat little old Stevenage ("No money. No experience. No chance" as one Wycombe-based journalist said of us at the start of the season) in four games this season.

Yes sorry 6th place (no idea what i was thinking :s-smilie:); yup its a bonus otherwise really it takes the fun out the league except for the teams who got autos. Bah what do journos' know outside the top 2 or 3 expected places in a league, no team should ever be written off :smile:
Original post by ipswichblade
The play offs are a joke when the team in 3rd can have around 20 points more than the team they meet in the semi who finish in 6th. We could have 92 points and not go up!

Yeah, but all the teams knew the rules at the start of the season. It happened to us a few seasons ago, we just missed out on the automatics in League Two and then lost the semi-final to a team with at least 15 points less than us.

Original post by ChapelTom

I disagree. And I would have play-offs for relegation, that would be amazing - win to stay up!
I'm already nervous for Friday and next Wednesday. It's been over 10 years since we were last in this situation and that took a last minute winner in the semis and penalties in the final! I'm going to have no finger nails left.

At least if it goes to penalties we've got Colin Doyle to keep them out the net.
Original post by sr90
Huddersfield had a similar points total last season. Look at the season they had last year, and they still didn't get promoted.

I like the play off system, but inequalities like this do make it look rather silly.

Yep. 3rd best team in the league and you lose out to the 6th best placed team in the league, crazy.
Maybe 3rd should go to the final automatically to give them a bit of an advantage. I dunno, they will never change it though.
Original post by Introvert2020

We should have done...in the last 10 minutes on Saturday we nearly did.
Play off matches are a different thing though. :biggrin:
Original post by DJB_1990
Playoffs are good, without them midtable teams would have had nowt to play for for months. Everyone knows the drill at the start of the season, you finish 3rd and you're in the playoffs. Simple. Maybe I'm biased because we have a 100% playoff record, Sheff Utd don't do playoffs. :tongue:

For the record I wanted Utd to get automatic promotion and not the frigging Wendies. Wilson is a serial bottler though. A few weeks ago I was thinking that he surely couldn't mess this one up...

Anyway I'm looking forward to being back in L1 next season, we might win some matches for a change. We've only won 8 out of the last 53 league games so we have a chance to start again with a new team. Still unsure about whether we have the right manager, though most of our fans would answer a straight 'no' to that.

Everyone does know at the start of the season but it doesn't make it any better when you finish so far ahead of 6th place and you know you could lose to them over 2 legs just trying to get to the final.

Indeed. Can't disagree although the mentality of our whole club is that we will mess up - and we nearly always do! To be fair to Wilson though, most managers would have "messed up" after having their leading goal scorer (and one that has 30 odd goals, not just 10-15) out for the vital matches at the end of the season.

Latest