The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

walshie
Oxford look like they may be going down into the Conference :p:

Notts Count are losing though, and if Oxford get their win in the next 30, they'll be safe :smile:

Barnet are winning - wooHoo!

the o's are going up!!
See ya Oxford! :hello:

Barnet will now concentrate on getting back on top of this league for next year. I always knew we were too good to go down :p:

Oh at least a visit to that crummy part of East London is now also not due :p:

j/k :biggrin:
Can't quite believe the Palace score! Watford beat them 3-0 in the first leg.

I was at Stockport today and thankfully they survived. :biggrin:

Gem
Watford score was credulous on Palace's behalf. Although I think they were favourites; even after a lower position in the table, Watford to score 3 goals away from home is nothing normally short of a miracle. However, this did happen at some point this season (It is in this thread by me commenting on it), and a beleaguered Palace now face the prospect of an away game at Vicarage Road.

Crystal Palace fans might as well not travel :p:

Watford Leeds final me thinks with Watford winning, although it just seems fitting that Leeds would jump straight up again.
Reply 744
I can't remember having seen Elland Road being so buzzing as it was on Friday night. Great atmosphere. 1-1 is unfortunately not a good result, and we will go to Deepdale underdogs. However I bet Palace wish they had an away game they could play starting out on level terms, so anything could happen. Anyway Monday is going to be very very very tense. Very tense, indeed.

As for:

How can any reasonable football fan have any sort of affinity for a 'club' such as MK Dons? They do not even deserve to be in the league and so I wish them a swift exit and out of business. Its not right that a club like Notts County is facing relegation when MK Dons are still in the league.

What's not right is for any other club to benefit from another one going out of business. Wimbledon get relegated and go out of business and so they get totally kicked into touch and there is another space in the football league - i.e. for another club to get promoted from the conference or something. That's not right.

MK Dons merely replaced Wimbledon and although they were relagated yesterday sadly, it seems their attendance figures are going up match by match. They seem to be a perfectly worthy club, which has a growing fan base and I wish them all the best in League Two next season. Notts County, faced (but survived) relegation because they got themseleves in a mess. You can't blame the MK Dons for the mess of other clubs.

Re: Football's hardest away days, were you talking about the episode of Orient going to Scun thorpe, or somewhere like that. I saw that one, I think you lost 1-0...
My personal favourite is still that Sheff Utd hitchhiking to Plymouth, not often do I feel sorry for Sheff U fans but that guy had an awful day.....

Anyway roll on Monday night :frown: :confused: :frown: :frown:
AAJ1
I can't remember having seen Elland Road being so buzzing as it was on Friday night. Great atmosphere. 1-1 is unfortunately not a good result, and we will go to Deepdale underdogs. However I bet Palace wish they had an away game they could play starting out on level terms, so anything could happen. Anyway Monday is going to be very very very tense. Very tense, indeed.

As for:

What's not right is for any other club to benefit from another one going out of business. Wimbledon get relegated and go out of business and so they get totally kicked into touch and there is another space in the football league - i.e. for another club to get promoted from the conference or something. That's not right.

MK Dons merely replaced Wimbledon and although they were relagated yesterday sadly, it seems their attendance figures are going up match by match. They seem to be a perfectly worthy club, which has a growing fan base and I wish them all the best in League Two next season. Notts County, faced (but survived) relegation because they got themseleves in a mess. You can't blame the MK Dons for the mess of other clubs.

Re: Football's hardest away days, were you talking about the episode of Orient going to Scun thorpe, or somewhere like that. I saw that one, I think you lost 1-0...
My personal favourite is still that Sheff Utd hitchhiking to Plymouth, not often do I feel sorry for Sheff U fans but that guy had an awful day.....

Anyway roll on Monday night :frown: :confused: :frown: :frown:

The Sheff Utd fan is always at games...everyone recognises him. :biggrin:

Good luck tomorrow night. I shall be in pub in Leeds keeping quiet. :wink:

Gem
MK Dons supporters should have abandoned the idea of supporting.

Instrumental support can go far. It's on par with being spoilt; being given a car or house by Mummy and Daddy for you to enjoy. Milton Keynes have surprising support for Wimbledon from a club that appeared from nowhere. However, do you think they will ever get 26'000 spectators through the door like Wimbledon did back in the 90's? I don't think so.

The Norwegian owners are a disgrace. Milton Keynes have adopted an undeserving club. They could easily get their own team together and get 1000 initial spectators through the gate. Move up a few leagues and that could all change. Grass Roots is becoming more prominent with clubs like:
- FC United
- FC Wimbledon
- Enfield Town
No doubt, we will soon see more as supporters find a way to get out of this 'for-profit business' that owners have turned it into.

Non-league footy will no doubt soon be experiencing record high average attendances, although I don't agree with the current pyramid structure. I think its bad, where only the wealthy owners supported the idea. (This was from back in late 1990's this was first proposed). I do support the 2-up and 2-down from Conference to league though.
I can't believe Stevenage just failed to make the play offs, we were in the zone the whole season! ='(

Hopefully Westley will keep most of our squad!
Reply 748
In the thick of the playoffs now - seasons being made and broken in the space of a few minutes....

But regarding the MK Dons thing again.

It's on par with being spoilt; being given a car or house by Mummy and Daddy for you to enjoy. Milton Keynes have surprising support for Wimbledon from a club that appeared from nowhere. However, do you think they will ever get 26'000 spectators through the door like Wimbledon did back in the 90's? I don't think so.

The Norwegian owners are a disgrace. Milton Keynes have adopted an undeserving club. They could easily get their own team together and get 1000 initial spectators through the gate. Move up a few leagues and that could all change. Grass Roots is becoming more prominent with clubs like:
- FC United
- FC Wimbledon
- Enfield Town
No doubt, we will soon see more as supporters find a way to get out of this 'for-profit business' that owners have turned it into.

Milton Keynes has been lucky as a town to be given a league football club, and in that area it's probably a good way of bringing football over. FC United, AFC Wimbledon have an automatic fan base and so won't find it hard to get 1000 through the gates every week to watch them in whatever division they play in. A team such as these couldn't really be set up in Milton Keynes because they don't have the initial fan base - they won't get 26 000 ever but then nor will a lot of teams.

Wigan is a good example - now a Premier League club that were only able to go far through the money that was being poured in, but they struggle to fill a smallish stadium in the Premiership. When a club has no real footballing history they will always struggle to bring masses of people to watch them...unless they make their own history.
Reply 749
:bawling:

I'm looking forward to finding out where some of these mysterious places are in the Conference next year...
Gexko

I'm looking forward to finding out where some of these mysterious places are in the Conference next year...

Mate. Someone on your forums saved you the effort...

How are you anyway? Were you at the Kassam for the momentous occasion last week?
AAJ1
In the thick of the playoffs now - seasons being made and broken in the space of a few minutes....

Milton Keynes has been lucky as a town to be given a league football club, and in that area it's probably a good way of bringing football over. FC United, AFC Wimbledon have an automatic fan base and so won't find it hard to get 1000 through the gates every week to watch them in whatever division they play in. A team such as these couldn't really be set up in Milton Keynes because they don't have the initial fan base - they won't get 26 000 ever but then nor will a lot of teams.

Wigan is a good example - now a Premier League club that were only able to go far through the money that was being poured in, but they struggle to fill a smallish stadium in the Premiership. When a club has no real footballing history they will always struggle to bring masses of people to watch them...unless they make their own history.

Erm. Were you aware that Milton Keynes already has its own football team? It is called Milton Keynes City and they played in the lower leagues of football. Why didn't you support them?

If you were a real supporter, you would have supported them and watched them rise through the leagues but the fact is that the fickle 'supporters' of MK Dons, would rather have a franchised club with no history or soul bother than a league place to latch onto rather than support a non-league team.

Milton Keynes City folded when 'Wimbledon' moved in 2003...
mc_watson87
I can't believe Stevenage just failed to make the play offs, we were in the zone the whole season! ='(

Hopefully Westley will keep most of our squad!

They always knew they weren't going to make it. Morcambe was always going to beat them due to the games played tally.

And Westley has left. Phil Wallace is almost not-ambitous. He is quite happy to sit at the top of the Conference. If he got to League 2, he wouldn't want to go higher.

AAJ1

Milton Keynes aren't lucky at all! Lucky would be the Norwegian owners buying the grass roots football club that was called Milton Keynes FC which disbanded upon confirmation of MK Dons!

No digs at the MK fans, because they have been great, adopting an undeserving squad. But its the Wimbledon owners. I do hope they go down again next year. FC Wimbledon V MK Dons is a real possibility in a few years time.

Why should MK Dons be any different? They should of started in tier 5 of non-league footy and gone up in the pyramid. Every other club has to do it. They will get recognition, and they will collect the fans on the way. The fans won't feel cheated, and they can truly merit their place in the footbal league.
Any Imps fans out there. look like another year for us down in L2. 5th time lucky I hope.

I hate the Cod, of all clubs why the cod. grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Reply 754
Gexko

d/w, Woking's a nice place
Reply 755
Erm. Were you aware that Milton Keynes already has its own football team? It is called Milton Keynes City and they played in the lower leagues of football. Why didn't you support them?

Firstly, I am not a supporter of Milton Keynes Dons. I live nowhere near Milton Keynes. All I said was that I sympathise with their cause.

but the fact is that the fickle 'supporters' of MK Dons, would rather have a franchised club with no history or soul bother than a league place to latch onto rather than support a non-league team.

Milton Keynes City folded when 'Wimbledon' moved in 2003...

Milton Keynes is not Merseyside. It's hardly a footballing paradise full of history and tradition. Obviously any fans that latch onto a newly created club which finds itself in the league are going to be "fickle", but is that so wrong? If they were not going to support a non-league team, giving them a league team is something, it gets more people in the area into football, and it raises revenue for the football league etc etc.

No digs at the MK fans, because they have been great, adopting an undeserving squad. But its the Wimbledon owners. I do hope they go down again next year. FC Wimbledon V MK Dons is a real possibility in a few years time.

Who gets hurt when a team gets relegated? The fans, they get hurt the most. So you can't say "no digs at the great fans, but o, I hope they go down".

They should of started in tier 5 of non-league footy and gone up in the pyramid. Every other club has to do it.

Every other club has to do it, which renders MK Dons and their new found fans, lucky....

making this....

Milton Keynes aren't lucky at all!

frightfully untrue.

They haven't had to go through the pyramid, all the other "new" clubs have had to. But MK Dons would have been just like MK City if they had to go through the footballing pyramid - they would never have generated the fan base to take them from promotion to promotion, like AFC Wimbledon look like doing.
AAJ1

Who gets hurt when a team gets relegated? The fans, they get hurt the most. So you can't say "no digs at the great fans, but o, I hope they go down".

Every other club has to do it, which renders MK Dons and their new found fans, lucky....

making this....

frightfully untrue.

They haven't had to go through the pyramid, all the other "new" clubs have had to. But MK Dons would have been just like MK City if they had to go through the footballing pyramid - they would never have generated the fan base to take them from promotion to promotion, like AFC Wimbledon look like doing.

The first paragraph is laughable. The fans? You mean the ones that have been with the club for like 4 years? The true fans are those that predominantly reside in SW London, not Milton Keynes. The only fans that got hurt, were those.

MK Dons FC fans are unlucky to have a club in their town which has shown complete disrespect to the public. They have used the public. They realized MK did not have a league club, so decided to move there. If they did, it could have been Beford!

Whether MK Dons could have generated the fan base or not, remains with Milton Keynes FC which terminated its team all due to some fake Football supporter owners. Obviously, if MK Dons attracted 5'000 immediate spectators for their 1st match, the support was obviously there!

Every club should start at the bottom. I don't support any club that has had it easy, just like fans who support Cheslea or Barcelona for glory hunting.

The irony is, that AFC Wimbledon will have more fans than MK Dons by the next couple of years. That's what I call just desserts. The demise of MK Dons is an inevitable cause, which will see the owners relinquish control due to money concerns. If they found it hard a few years back, they will find it hard now.
Reply 757
You say,

No digs at the MK fans, because they have been great, adopting an undeserving squad.

But then you say

The fans? You mean the ones that have been with the club for like 4 years?

I don't understand. Which fans are you talking about?

MK Dons have increasing attendances for a club on the slide. The City has taken to them, they don't feel "used". They are not getting 6000 through the gates all coming from South London (most have gone to AFC Wimbledon). The fact that a league club has come to the city has got more people into football and more revenue into the football league, there's no denying that.

It is plainly obvious that MK City couldn't get a substantial fan base considering they were languishing in the Spartan something or other since the 1980's. The fan base generated in Milton Keynes, from the people of Milton Keynes only came about because there was a league club to support.

The irony is, that AFC Wimbledon will have more fans than MK Dons by the next couple of years. That's what I call just desserts. The demise of MK Dons is an inevitable cause, which will see the owners relinquish control due to money concerns. If they found it hard a few years back, they will find it hard now.

Wimbledon were fantastic. I remember seeing Leeds at Selhurst a few times, especially that Tony Yeboah wonderstrike. I wish AFC Wimbledon all the best and hope that the fixture between AFC Wimbledon and MK Dons happens sooner rather than later - through AFC Wimbledon promotions and not MK Dons relegations. I don't think the demise of MK Dons is inevitable.

"Glory hunting" supporters are not good, but you cannot compare the new MK Dons fans to the new Chelski fans. If there were any real glory hunting supporters in Milton Keynes they'd probably go and watch an Arsenal or a Chelsea (it's obviously not that far from London). I don't think it is fair to call fans of a team who have just slipped into the lowest tier of the football league after having been bottom of the table for months on end glory supporters. Whether a fan feels inexorable pain after a defeat and illogical blissful elation after a win remains in the mind and heart of that individual - but economic contribution to the league is not a bad thing.
Reply 758
Come on you Watford! A very young side coached by young manager (possible future England manager) who've done well to come this far and Alhassan Bangura is one those player who you'd like to do well.
Ah - poor Leeds. I don't want to gloat on my previous predictions attached to this thread, but it was so likely to happen. 3-0 does flatter Watford slightly, but everytime Watford had the ball, they could do something with it.

Oh well - Leeds count yourself 1.3million squid richer, whilst Watford should count themselves £30 million richer :biggrin:

Latest