The Student Room Group

What made you make that decision to go to Uni?

I really want to go, as i want to be a primary school teacher. Im studying level 3 childcare atm.
But i just dont feel im good enough or motivated.
What made you know 100% their was nothing else for you and thats what you wanted to do?
I dont exactly have the encouragement off family or the money but i guess you never know until you try it out, thats another thing, scared i wont actually enjoy the course after going through everything :/ but i guess that happens to loads of people?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't know that I did know 100%. I never knew what I was going to do afterwards; I just chose a subject that interested me. I guess I was mainly motivated by a desire to get out of home, and at the secondary school/sixth form I went to, going to uni was what most people did. That's not to say I regret going, as it's probably the best thing I ever did. I got so much more out of it than just the academic side. I learnt to survive on my own, make new friends and find out more about myself as a person.

Don't let the lack of encouragement from your family put you off. If it's what you want, do some research into courses, find out the entry requirements, go to some open days and perhaps get some work experience in a primary school if possible, to get a feel of what it might be like as a career. If you do decide to apply, those sorts of things will help your application anyway :smile: As for the money side of things, there are always loans etc available.

If it turns out that it's not for you, well, you wouldn't be the first person to change course/uni/drop out and do something different. You'll never know unless you try... :smile:
To postpone the inevitable arranged marriage of course.

Like I want to become a bloody lawyer.
Reply 3
Because I live in a complete ******* ****hole,and I want out,the smell of soup is not the one.
Reply 4
better prospects.
Reply 5
because not going to uni would be the dumbest thing in the world...to be succesful these days you need a great degree from a great uni.
Reply 6
Not going to uni was never an option for me.
Nigerian household FTW :biggrin:
ipulledhermione
To postpone the inevitable arranged marriage of course.

Like I want to become a bloody lawyer.

Silly girl.

Kitchens are available at Universities. Now chop chop, get to work.
Because I am so utterly useless at anything non-academic.
Reply 9
not going wasn't really an option for me.... never really considered it :s-smilie:
Because I felt pressured, now regret it, but feel too scared of dropping out as a. I would have no friends b. I have no prospects c. Not setting a good example for my cousins d. Not many jobs available e. what the hell my family would think.

Just seems to be another 2 years to stall thinking what I want to do.
I want a job yo.
Reply 12
Because you need a degree to get a good job, and it is the place where I can finally study the subject I want to.
I WANT TO MAKE ROBOTS (transforming ones, preferably :proud:) :ahee:
Reply 14
Because to me that was always part of the path my life is currently taking :holmes:
Reply 15
Tefhel
Because you need a degree to get a good job, and it is the place where I can finally study the subject I want to.

How would you define 'good'?
Reply 16
Krakatoa
How would you define 'good'?

Six-figure.
Reply 17
Tefhel
Six-figure.

2 get da bitchez init
Reply 18
Ham22
better prospects.