The Student Room Group

Imperial Chem Eng...Percentage of 'Unseen' Questions in Exams?

Applied to Imperial this year for chemical engineering. Just wondering for those who already study chem eng there, what is the percentage of the exams that are 'unseen'.

For those who dont know what unseen means, it's basically exam questions that havent come up in lectures and require you to use your knowledge rather than just remember the lecture notes.

Also, I'm worried about the lack of a year in industry at Imperial. Other unis offer a full year in industry whereas Imperial only offers a few weeks in the summer holidays. For those who know about Chem eng, do you think this will hinder my employment prospects or will the fact that I'll be at Imperial be enough compared to another uni such as Loughborough which has a full year in industry?

Thanks in advance!
ajgaj
Applied to Imperial this year for chemical engineering. Just wondering for those who already study chem eng there, what is the percentage of the exams that are 'unseen'.

For those who dont know what unseen means, it's basically exam questions that havent come up in lectures and require you to use your knowledge rather than just remember the lecture notes.

Are you talking about questions which require you to have done extra reading, or ones which require you to apply the material in the lectures to situations you won't necessarily have been taught?

I'm not at Imperial and I'm not doing Chemical, but I expect the standard of questions at Imperial would be similar to here. Most of what we learn is basically applied maths / physics. The lecture notes here are quite thorough - we tend to find we have to look in a book a few times at some point if the lecturer explained something badly, but the lecture notes make it quite clear what we need to know and if we understand everything in there then we know everything we need to for the exam. Very few exam questions are a case of simply regurgitating material from the notes though. Most involve applying it in some way to a new situation(to prove we properly understand it) - it is not like A-level Physics where it's always plugging numbers into a formula, you will be expected to derive things, make assumptions etc.
Reply 2
thefish_uk
Are you talking about questions which require you to have done extra reading, or ones which require you to apply the material in the lectures to situations you won't necessarily have been taught?

I'm not at Imperial and I'm not doing Chemical, but I expect the standard of questions at Imperial would be similar to here. Most of what we learn is basically applied maths / physics. The lecture notes here are quite thorough - we tend to find we have to look in a book a few times at some point if the lecturer explained something badly, but the lecture notes make it quite clear what we need to know and if we understand everything in there then we know everything we need to for the exam. Very few exam questions are a case of simply regurgitating material from the notes though. Most involve applying it in some way to a new situation(to prove we properly understand it) - it is not like A-level Physics where it's always plugging numbers into a formula, you will be expected to derive things, make assumptions etc.

Though so lol. Thanks for the help...much appreciated :biggrin:
Reply 3
ajgaj

Also, I'm worried about the lack of a year in industry at Imperial. Other unis offer a full year in industry whereas Imperial only offers a few weeks in the summer holidays. For those who know about Chem eng, do you think this will hinder my employment prospects or will the fact that I'll be at Imperial be enough compared to another uni such as Loughborough which has a full year in industry?

Thanks in advance!

In the first year the chemistry and heat&mass transfer courses were kind of like that - the questions were stupidly difficult sometimes... But that's why Imperial is highly regarded.
The chemistry was so hard that even the chemistry students would struggle with it, and the heat&mass lecturer enjoys setting questions that are more like brain teasers than exam questions... But he makes sure you can pass if you know the content.

The second year isn't as bad - but overall it's the hardest year due to the sheer quantity of work you gotta do.

For the year in industry thing - its easy to get work placements in summer holidays when you have the Imperial college name behind you. I'm doing a two month placement this summer (after my second year).
Reply 4
jpye11
In the first year the chemistry and heat&mass transfer courses were kind of like that - the questions were stupidly difficult sometimes... But that's why Imperial is highly regarded.
The chemistry was so hard that even the chemistry students would struggle with it, and the heat&mass lecturer enjoys setting questions that are more like brain teasers than exam questions... But he makes sure you can pass if you know the content.

The second year isn't as bad - but overall it's the hardest year due to the sheer quantity of work you gotta do.

For the year in industry thing - its easy to get work placements in summer holidays when you have the Imperial college name behind you. I'm doing a two month placement this summer (after my second year).

Wow..surprised to hear 2nd year is hardest. Where are you doing your work placement if you dont mind me asking?
Reply 5
ajgaj
Wow..surprised to hear 2nd year is hardest. Where are you doing your work placement if you dont mind me asking?

I'll be working for an upstream oil and gas consultancy based in central London. Also quite a few people I know are going for banking placements if that's your thing.
Reply 6
jpye11
I'll be working for an upstream oil and gas consultancy based in central London. Also quite a few people I know are going for banking placements if that's your thing.

Cool. So the fact that the work placement is only a few months compared to a year, doesnt make a difference because its imperial?
Surprised that Imperial only gives a few weeks work placement: arguably the work placement is perhaps one of the most important aspects of the course. I'll be spending my next two summers doing a work placement, and I also think that I have one semester dedicated to a work placement as well.

I don't know if it will hinder your employment prospects. I'd imagine it depends on the industry you want to work in - might not be important to those using engineering as a means to get into banking, for example.

Although, there is absolutely nothing stopping you from trying to get a placement over the whole summer yourself.
Reply 8
Smack
Surprised that Imperial only gives a few weeks work placement: arguably the work placement is perhaps one of the most important aspects of the course. I'll be spending my next two summers doing a work placement, and I also think that I have one semester dedicated to a work placement as well.

I don't know if it will hinder your employment prospects. I'd imagine it depends on the industry you want to work in - might not be important to those using engineering as a means to get into banking, for example.

Although, there is absolutely nothing stopping you from trying to get a placement over the whole summer yourself.

Makes sense! Thanks for advice :biggrin:

Latest