The Student Room Group

Music Technology AS Level exam 20th May

Is anyone taking this exam. How do you revise for it ? any tips.

Cheers.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
anyone ? We're failing !
Reply 2
Past Papers always help - Admittedly there are very few for the new spec, but I'm going through loads from the old spec, the general style of questions is the same. Oh, and know Reggae/Heavy Rock inside out, all institutions offering the course have been sent a list of what Edexcel considers 'key artists' within these genres. It is a good bet, I'm told, that one of the big questions will be focussed on one of these artists.

Anything else you'd like help with?
Reply 3
-J-B-
Past Papers always help - Admittedly there are very few for the new spec, but I'm going through loads from the old spec, the general style of questions is the same. Oh, and know Reggae/Heavy Rock inside out, all institutions offering the course have been sent a list of what Edexcel considers 'key artists' within these genres. It is a good bet, I'm told, that one of the big questions will be focussed on one of these artists.

Anything else you'd like help with?

I lost the sheet can you type out those artist for me please ?

Thanks !
Reply 4
Don't have it on me now, but I'll grab a copy tomorrow and post it.
Reply 5
-J-B-
Don't have it on me now, but I'll grab a copy tomorrow and post it.

Don't worry just downloaded off the edexcel website :biggrin:, but you see that list, do you need to learn each artist out of your head ?
Reply 6
I believe the question will give you 3 of those artists and ask you to choose one and outline their contribution to heavy rock / reggae. So know most of the artists well enough to pin each of them to a couple of dates.
Reply 7
-J-B-
I believe the question will give you 3 of those artists and ask you to choose one and outline their contribution to heavy rock / reggae. So know most of the artists well enough to pin each of them to a couple of dates.

So far I have learned about Bob Marley, The Wailers, The Specials and The Skatalies ( Reggae). Jimmy Hendrix, AC/DC. (rock). I might go trough a few more artists !
Lovedealer
Is anyone taking this exam. How do you revise for it ? any tips.

Cheers.

Hey! :smile:

I am doing this exam as a retake. (I failed it last year cos I didnt revise at all)

Basically section A is about your knowledge of Music Technology based stuff. E.g. Effects, Microphones + Placement, history of Synthesisers, Organs and Guitars. etc
Section B is your Reggae/Hard Rock questions.

I have plenty of revision material for both sections that i'm willing to share with someone who is willing to discuss the exam and share knowledge. (p.s. its real good! and they aren't too lenghtly!)

I am pretty confident with the A2 exam, its more based on your knowledge of your own DAW and using it to create a song using the wav files they give you.
oh, I forgot to say - Private message me and i'll give you my msn addy :P
i would like to email you about the heavy rock and reggae notes, to compare etc. i duno how to do a private message so private message me? -_^ : )
Thisisafakeaccount
Hey! :smile:

I am doing this exam as a retake. (I failed it last year cos I didnt revise at all)

Basically section A is about your knowledge of Music Technology based stuff. E.g. Effects, Microphones + Placement, history of Synthesisers, Organs and Guitars. etc
Section B is your Reggae/Hard Rock questions.

I have plenty of revision material for both sections that i'm willing to share with someone who is willing to discuss the exam and share knowledge. (p.s. its real good! and they aren't too lenghtly!)

I am pretty confident with the A2 exam, its more based on your knowledge of your own DAW and using it to create a song using the wav files they give you.

if you want to email me to compare notes private message me :smile: i duno how to do it -_-
Reply 12
hope the paper is not that difficult :s
have you guys revised a lot for this exam or just revised in general?
Good luck all. Exam at 13.45 today :smile:
Sorry I didn't get back to some of the PM's. I forgot I posted here.
Exam was easy - anyone else feel the same?
Much easier than last years :smile:
Reply 15
It wasn't too bad. Can't think of any paticularly difficult questions, but out of interest... What was the organ on the Bob Marley song?
chriiiiis
It wasn't too bad. Can't think of any paticularly difficult questions, but out of interest... What was the organ on the Bob Marley song?

i wrote that the organ was a hammond
Reply 17
ribenablob
i wrote that the organ was a hammond

Hammond :confused: I wrote melodica as it's very common in Reggae.
Reply 18
I wrote Hammond, looking at some live videos yesterday, that's what they used.
Reply 19
What did everyone write for the question about the intro to the kylie minogue song? It asked how dynamic processing had been used to achieve the sound on the piano...and i said something really vague like 'heavy compression used' :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending