The Student Room Group

Have I made a HUGE mistake? HELP!!

I think i've made a mistake not applying to warwick. This feels like such a big problem now because I want to go into IB, and only recently became aware that warwick was a 'target'. I thought i had considered my applications really carefully, I thought about applying to warwick but decided not to because i felt it was 'over-rated'. Not wanting to be in london, it's turned out i'm now going to Durham to study Accounting and Finance. I know people have got into IB from this course, but it will be much harder, i would need to get a 1st and be all-round amazing. I am already on a gap year, and staying at home another year would probably drive me insane.

My question is...what should I do? I'm starting to feel like i've made the biggest mistake of my life, and the more I think about it the worse I feel...what would be the financial implications if i dropped out at the end of the first year at durham and reapplied? has anyone got any alternate ideas for me? Thanks
Reply 1
manutd17
How strong are you academically? If you are confident of getting an offer then you should probably reapply to warwick/lse/ucl. Over than oxbridge these are targets.. Im surprised that if your interested in IB that you didnt choose the unis more carefully. Where else did you apply?

I basically looked at league tables for my course and chose it on the basis of that, i also got offers from Exeter, Manchester and Loughborough. Exeter is the highest ranked(2nd), but as it turned out i figured durham the best of these because of reputation and also because i liked it. I didn't apply to london becuase i didn't fancy it, and also i wasn't really aware how well regarded the unis really are there (using tsr has changed this). the same applies for warwick really. I got AAB at A-level '09 and i'm doing an additional A-level this year which i should get an A in...

like i said, i'm already on a gap year and i highly doubt my parents will let me have another one. IDK what to do, i feel trapped. :frown:
Reply 2
bump......
Meh. Warwick's a dump anyway. It was so depressing that I dropped out. Trust me, you've done yourself a favour! :smile:
Reply 4
Chocothunder
Meh. Warwick's a dump anyway. It was so depressing that I dropped out. Trust me, you've done yourself a favour! :smile:

haha, maybe, but i think i could have endured it if i thought my chances of getting into IB were substantially higher.. not being able to get the job i want when i leave uni would be my worst nightmare.. I could probably do a postgraduate degree but then the problem arises as to which one

EDIT: also, if i dropped out of the first year would i be able to get any financial support towards my degree at another university afterwards?
Reply 5
Focus08
Lady Fortune has given these two universities a few years of glory, but they are just "bubble" universities. Don't let the occasional spot in the top 10 fool you. The bubble (or honeymoon) will burst (end) soon enough.

Warwick has been consistent since it was founded. It was made to be awesome.

Yep, you made a mistake here.

Edit: Accounting and Finance? How could you possibly miss Warwick? Isn't it like 1st or something in one league table..?

No, bath is first followed by Exeter, Strathclyde, Loughborough, LSE and finally Warwick (this is the Times guide btw). Thanks for your helpful advice though :shot:
Reply 6
what the hell is IB?
And yes this is a genuine question.
And yes i realise it will make me look incredibly stupid.
But i'm interested to know.
Reply 7
Selenax
what the hell is IB?
And yes this is a genuine question.
And yes i realise it will make me look incredibly stupid.
But i'm interested to know.

Investment Banking
Reply 8
aprilterri
Durham's supposed to be nice and is still a good uni. Don' worry I think you're reading too much into this.
Just work hard just like you'd have to no matter where you go and you'll be fine. Build up some experience where you can and I'm sure you'll do just as well as if you went to warwick.

I hope you right, but the way everyone goes on about how competitive and 'superficial' IB is that i can't do anything but read into it.. i just want to know all my options at this stage
Reply 9
Aeth
Investment Banking

eww
Reply 10
Selenax
eww

:lol:

Latest

Trending

Trending