The Student Room Group

AQA INFO3 June 2010

Anyone else doing this exam ?

Not looking forward to it - 2 hours of fast writing :frown:

At least the pre-release we have seems easier than the specimen paper though.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i am, what did you get in Jan? i am preparing for info1 i am retaking that.
Reply 2
We didn't actually do the exam in Jan - we were just doing the coursework. How did you do in Jan ?
Reply 3
We did pure theory from Sept - Jan and the majority did pretty bad, then did the coursework from Feb till beggining of May, now the whole class is re-sitting bar one person.

I was 4 marks off a C, but we've been given no help at all with the new pre-release and Im starting to get a bit worried. Anyone got any links that will help me with the new 10 page ******* pre release lol!!
Reply 4
Doing it in June, got a C in January, mostly everyone else got U's, not looking forward too it.
Reply 5
Boomy
Doing it in June, got a C in January, mostly everyone else got U's, not looking forward too it.

Have you been given any help with the pre-release?
Reply 6
We haven't got any help with the pre-release. We did the Jan paper as a mock, and that was horrible - just essay after essay :frown:
Reply 7
bogooner

We were given a set of questions that teach thought were most likely to come up, hang on ill copy em for you.
Reply 8
bogooner

1. Give other reasons why the ICT projects may have failed other than those stated in this section. For each point, explain why it is important and then give a relevant example. Give 9 points. P50-51 of text book

2. Section 2.2. ICT strategy and emerging technologies. Why do they have to take these into account? Why might they be important for the business? Give 8 points; for each point, explain why it is important and then give a relevant example. P110 of text book.

3. Section 2.2. What other factors may affect an ICT strategy and why? 6 points; for each point, explain why it is important and then give a relevant example. p29-p32 of text book

4. Section 2.2. What may be the likely content of an ICT strategy, why is each point important? 4 points; for each point, explain why it is important and then give a relevant example. p32-p34 of text book.

5. Section 2.3. What is outsourcing, why might it be useful? What are its advantages? 4 points; for each point, explain why it is important and then give a relevant example.

6. Section 2.3. What are the disadvantages of using external services? 4 points; for each point, explain why it is important and then give a relevant example.

7. Section 2.4 Security policy. What is missing and why do you consider the omission to be important? 6 points; for each point, explain why it is important and then give a relevant example. p36-p39 of text book.

8. Section 1.1 What are the legislative requirements that they mention?

9. Section 6.1 What other ways of monitoring may be available to ICT services? Describe each in detail with a reason

Apparently these are likely to come up, the page references are those of the Nelson Thornes book.
Reply 9
Thanks for that - will be very useful for revision !
Reply 10
By the way, could anyone please explain some of the disadvantages in outsourcing ?
Reply 11
Boomy
1. Give other reasons why the ICT projects may have failed other than those stated in this section. For each point, explain why it is important and then give a relevant example. Give 9 points. P50-51 of text book

2. Section 2.2. ICT strategy and emerging technologies. Why do they have to take these into account? Why might they be important for the business? Give 8 points; for each point, explain why it is important and then give a relevant example. P110 of text book.

3. Section 2.2. What other factors may affect an ICT strategy and why? 6 points; for each point, explain why it is important and then give a relevant example. p29-p32 of text book

4. Section 2.2. What may be the likely content of an ICT strategy, why is each point important? 4 points; for each point, explain why it is important and then give a relevant example. p32-p34 of text book.

5. Section 2.3. What is outsourcing, why might it be useful? What are its advantages? 4 points; for each point, explain why it is important and then give a relevant example.

6. Section 2.3. What are the disadvantages of using external services? 4 points; for each point, explain why it is important and then give a relevant example.

7. Section 2.4 Security policy. What is missing and why do you consider the omission to be important? 6 points; for each point, explain why it is important and then give a relevant example. p36-p39 of text book.

8. Section 1.1 What are the legislative requirements that they mention?

9. Section 6.1 What other ways of monitoring may be available to ICT services? Describe each in detail with a reason

Apparently these are likely to come up, the page references are those of the Nelson Thornes book.

That's great, thanks for posting that up :biggrin:

Is the Nelson Thornes book your on about the AQA Endorsed book with the Asian girl sitting with a laptop on the front?
Reply 12
cyborg
By the way, could anyone please explain some of the disadvantages in outsourcing ?

Was actually just revising this bit:

Loss of managerial control
Security and Confidentiality threat
Quality problems
Hidden Costs

...just to name a couple.

The one thing my teacher did mention was that Cloud Computing could be a topic that comes up. On page 3 of the pre-release under 2.2 ICT Strategy, theres a bit that mentions emerging technologies, and she feels that it may come up. But in my Mott & Leeming AQA text book it says nothing about cloud computing :confused:

I think its quite clear that the exam is going to be about Strategy, Policy and Security, but the pre-release is so LONG :eek3:
Reply 13
Yeah I have the Mott and Leeming book - thanks for the clarification. As to emerging technologies, I think cloud computing would be a valid point, although the spec (and the book) only says devices for remote and mobile working; having said that, cloud computing does help in this as well.
Reply 14
bogooner
That's great, thanks for posting that up :biggrin:

Is the Nelson Thornes book your on about the AQA Endorsed book with the Asian girl sitting with a laptop on the front?

Yup :smile:
Reply 15
Im looking to take this, not looking forward to it.

Im using the Nelson Thornes book too.

Thanks for the questions you put on here Boomy, will help alot.

And if anyone else has any material they/teacher have/has made to help with the exam, then putting it on here would be great.

The teacher i have doesn't really elaborate much on the case study, he just reads through it and expects us to interpret it however - not the greatest method of teaching imo, but thats how it is for me.
Reply 16
I have some summary notes of all of the sections, pretty much identical to the end of chapter summary in the book, but all in one document. Might not be super useful but i'll post it up tomorrow anyway.
Reply 17
Ok cheers.

Any notes that will help each other are all good contributions.

In the unlikely event that my teacher produces something useful in the one remaining lesson left, ill share it.
Reply 18
I just found some great help for the exam. Basically go onto TES connect and Register, its free. Then you can type in INFO3 June or just follow this link:

http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6042360

A teacher on the forum has gone through each section and created questions about each sub section in specific detail, and it is really helpful. :smile:
thank u so much ppl....u jus gave me some hope because my teacher is so crap!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending