The Student Room Group

AQA INFO3 June 2010

Scroll to see replies

I havent even started revising for this exam!!!! :eek3: :woo:
Whats the point of analysing the case study when you might aswell just learn the whole book instead of picking out bits in the case study to revise for?
Reply 63
Boomy
1. Give other reasons why the ICT projects may have failed other than those stated in this section. For each point, explain why it is important and then give a relevant example. Give 9 points. P50-51 of text book

2. Section 2.2. ICT strategy and emerging technologies. Why do they have to take these into account? Why might they be important for the business? Give 8 points; for each point, explain why it is important and then give a relevant example. P110 of text book.

3. Section 2.2. What other factors may affect an ICT strategy and why? 6 points; for each point, explain why it is important and then give a relevant example. p29-p32 of text book

4. Section 2.2. What may be the likely content of an ICT strategy, why is each point important? 4 points; for each point, explain why it is important and then give a relevant example. p32-p34 of text book.

5. Section 2.3. What is outsourcing, why might it be useful? What are its advantages? 4 points; for each point, explain why it is important and then give a relevant example.

6. Section 2.3. What are the disadvantages of using external services? 4 points; for each point, explain why it is important and then give a relevant example.

7. Section 2.4 Security policy. What is missing and why do you consider the omission to be important? 6 points; for each point, explain why it is important and then give a relevant example. p36-p39 of text book.

8. Section 1.1 What are the legislative requirements that they mention?

9. Section 6.1 What other ways of monitoring may be available to ICT services? Describe each in detail with a reason

Apparently these are likely to come up, the page references are those of the Nelson Thornes book.

Thank you very much for these questions.. they are very helpful!
I was wondering if you (or anyone else) could help with Question 4 above (bold). I know you gave relevant page numbers but we have been using a different book and this section is a little unclear. Thank you for all your help :smile:
Reply 64
Im sitting this exam - It's tomorrow people! :O

Anyway, looked at some of the notes on here, and they are useful.

Nelson Thornes is ridiculous, hate the 'learning resource'. Anyone who is learning from anyone other than Nelson Thornes got any notes?
Reply 65
The spec says that we need to be aware of a variety of linear and iterative development methods.

Could someone please go through what this means ?

Thanks
Reply 66
cyborg
The spec says that we need to be aware of a variety of linear and iterative development methods.

Thanks

This is all from memory so might not be reliable :biggrin:

Linear is developing a system stage by stage, only moving onto the next once the previous is finished.
Iterative is developing a system in a method like a loop, going through all the stages until it meets the clients requirements.

There's also the scrum method which is I think a group or groups working on different stages at once to create an effective whole, crystal method which is focusing more on building a truly effective team to make processes more efficient, prototyping is just continuous improvement.

Cant remember others off the top of my head.
Reply 67
Cheers :smile: If anyone has a list of methods or something that would be very useful.
Reply 68
Hey all, taking this exam tomorrow.
Been looking through the specimin and Jan 2010 papers and I think this one should be slightly better. Anyway the main topics I think we are likely to see appear tomorrow in Section A are:

-ICT and Business strategies
-Emerging Technologies
-Outsourcing
-Information Security Policies
-Computer Legislations

Possibly organisation levels may come up, i.e strategic, tactical and operational.

Section B is hard to predict, however i doubt they will use any of the topics from Jan 2010 for the big questions, so investigation techniques, client involvement and system types are unlikely to come up in too much detail.

Hope this helps a bit and good luck to all.
Reply 69
cyborg

Thanks

Hey Linear is simply where each stage of the process begins when the previus one has been completed. This is seen to be the easier method.

Iterative is repeativing a sequence of steps until the required solution is reached, basically it loops around the stages of development until the client is happy. Prototyping can be used here so small sections are built and showed to the client, then refined and gradually built to the user's requirements.

There are also Agile Methodologies which you may want to read up on.

Hope that helps.
Who else thinks that the Neson Thorne books are sh*t because they are not good at explaining points and I have also found numerous mistakes!
Reply 71
random123456789
Who else thinks that the Neson Thorne books are sh*t because they are not good at explaining points and I have also found numerous mistakes!

:eyeball: I get the feeling you don't like NT.
Boomy
:eyeball: I get the feeling you don't like NT.

Nah, well yeah but this ICT one esp is sh*t because in the Jan exam, I knew everything in the book and the found the exam easy until I found out that everyone did sh*t including me on results day!
Reply 73
Yeh I thought I did well on that too, I didn't do too badly (C) but I thought I did better, there were a lot of U's, so we all definitely underestimated it. :l
Reply 74
In January most the questions were based around the development of a system from what I remember, questions about training, need for formal methods etc.
This time I reckon most of it is going to be on managing ICT, strategies, policies, how legislation effects how an organisation is run.

I can definitely see reasons why a project fails coming up from reading the prelim material.

I've not had a chance to do much work on it at all though :/ January I got a C and I need to get a B overall which is ~10 more UMS if my coursework mark doesn't get moderated.
Reply 75
so what do people think could come up on part me in the 'big mark questions'?
Reply 76
Its probably going to be emerging technologies, discussing the social, economic, cultural effects etc.

One of my many weak areas..
Reply 77
thats one of my weaker areas as well, any one got any detailed notes on emerging technologies, discussing the social, economic, cultural effects ?
Reply 78
In my opinion it'll be on a topic related to managing ICT. Perhaps something on strategies and policies.
im scared but im not if you get me? i know 95% of the book and could easily answer most questions thrown at me but looking at the january paper and the examplar answers its just very different and the questions they ask really throw me off

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending