The Student Room Group

IB English A1 2010 Exams

Hey guys!
So.. English P1 is in 6 days..
I dont really know how to revise for this since its "unseen"
But if i dont, I kinda feel like Ivent done my best?
So i was wondering if you guys have any tips?
Or any general "fancy" words that we could add in our commentary!
Thanks a bunch!
AND GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU!
Cant wait till exams are oveR! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I thought it would be a good idea if every one could share their method for studying for the paper 2 english A1 essay, since it is the one we really have to study for. I began rereading my novel, but it feels like a waste of time...since I already know the plot etc.

How is every one else dealing with it?:smile:
Prepare a general commentary outline, look at some literary terms, some good practice commentaries and just hope for the best :smile:
Reply 3
I actually want to cry. Seriously, some years, the exam questions are so good! then the year after, it's death!

Freaking out to be honest.
Reply 4
savag
I actually want to cry. Seriously, some years, the exam questions are so good! then the year after, it's death!

SOOOO TRUE!!
Reply 5
savag

OMG I feel exactly the same way! Its soo unpredictable and scary...and I need to get a 6 to make my university offer :'(

I am trying my best, and the more time I spend "trying" to prepare...the more I feel like I am going to fail! :frown:
Reply 6
medstar
I thought it would be a good idea if every one could share their method for studying for the paper 2 english A1 essay, since it is the one we really have to study for. I began rereading my novel, but it feels like a waste of time...since I already know the plot etc.

How is every one else dealing with it?:smile:

I do three texts, so basically I typed up the important quotes for each character and analysed them. Explored the themes etc.
Btw, how are you guys going to revise for Paper 1?!
Reply 7
ragnar_jonsson
Prepare a general commentary outline, look at some literary terms, some good practice commentaries and just hope for the best :smile:

I see that you're getting a 7 for English! :O
How are you revsing for English P2?? And, do we HAVE to remember quotations from word to word?
Thanks! :smile:
Reply 8
jooooooto
How are you revsing for English P2?? And, do we HAVE to remember quotations from word to word?

I believe so long as the quotation is mainly right, and the point you make about the quote is based upon what is actually written in the book, it should be okay. They don't expect you to have the memory of a god! :biggrin:
jooooooto

Well, I'm predicted a 7. I've been writing out practice P2 essays and have got some good quotes memorized (pick easy ones, seriously - that strike you).

e.g.

Death and the Maiden:

"What do we lose by killing one of them? What do we lose?"

"Oh, Paulina - isn't it time we stopped?"

"You've got more than any victim in the country" (something similar..)

One for the Road:

"we are all patriots, we are as one, we all share a common heritage. Except you, apparently."

"I am not alone. I am not alone!"

"I run the place. God speaks through me."

"He didn't *think*, like you ********. He *lived*."

"Tell me...truly... are you beginning to love me?"

"They don't like you either, my darling."

"Your son? Oh, don't worry about him. He was a little prick."

Edit: this was my 700th post :smile:
Reply 10
I'm definitely going to do the prose this year
does anyone have some advice on writing the prose for this year?

thanks
Reply 11
My class was told to do the poem. Why the prose?
Reply 12
jooooooto
I do three texts, so basically I typed up the important quotes for each character and analysed them. Explored the themes etc.
Btw, how are you guys going to revise for Paper 1?!

Paper 1 is a toss up. I'm just gonna revise past papers and write practice commentaries. I also need a 6 for english, so Paper 2 I am really prepared for. I'm only doing 2 texts though: Elektra and King Richard II.
Reply 13
I'm just going to do the most appealing :dontknow: why would you choose to limit your options before starting the task?
Reply 14
I find the poems a little complicated sometimes, I have always been able to write well (and alot :wink:) about any prose...but I will prepare for both! :smile:

It's actually the second paper I am worried about! :frown:
I'm trying to stay open-minded but I think I'm going to end up doing the poem, I find it much easier to talk about something when I have the entire work rather than just an extract.

Although like medstar said, I'm more worried about Paper 2 - all those quotations to remember :s-smilie:
I read all the sparknotes of the novels and plays, of course I had already read them before.
This way I just go over the plots, themes, characters and all that.
My teacher says we should use at least 3 novels or plays even though the papers say at least 2.
My teacher says we should always find te opposites
Check the image
:wink:
Reply 18
How many quotes would you memorize for 3 works guys???
specialonebts
I read all the sparknotes of the novels and plays, of course I had already read them before.
This way I just go over the plots, themes, characters and all that.
My teacher says we should use at least 3 novels or plays even though the papers say at least 2.

My teacher said the exact opposite thing.

Latest

Trending

Trending