Coventry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i dont enjoy concrete.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
It is true, it is quite spacious though.
Central part is late 60s concrete. And there's not much that can be done about it. Good news is that new buildings are popping up recently: Computer Sciences and Maths have swish new buildings and just outside of the concrete library/humanities/sciences area is nice.
Reply 4
i think it's down to one's taste
my friends and i absolutely loved it when we went there, but obviously, there are many other people out there saying they loathed it, so yea...
I adored everything I saw on my visit day! The maths building looks sick :cool:
Reply 6
no its ugly, one of the reasons i picked lufbra over it. i still remember in my "interview" (as they call it):

interviewer: what do you think of our campus?
me: its not bad but i think Imperial looked a lot better

1 week later: offer
It's a spacious campus with a fair amount of greenery around. I'm not fond of the campus buildings but that's just my taste. I'll always take dry rot and wood worm over new build :wink:
Reply 8
Focus08
Imperial has some ugly-looking 60s monstrosities as well.

Loughborough is just **** overall (can't comment on the buildings though)

some, yes, some. but warwick has ALL ugly buildings.

if you cant comment on the buildings then you cant comment on how if it looks pretty
lol I was reading through TSR with a friend and we saw this title and he went......"whos warwick" :rofl2:
Reply 10
Assuming we're talking about the uni and not the general area (only visited the uni so can't really comment on the area itself):

It's odd...if I were to describe it it would sound like my worst nightmare, concrete, 1960's, but actually it was really nice, the Math department especially so :coma: there was something quite cleanly about it, which you don't often get with that sort of architecture, and there were ducks :smile:
Reply 11
It's not pretty pretty, but it's not bad looking either. Plenty of trees and grass and stuff :smile:
Reply 12
Yes, the older buildings (Library, Physics, Chemistry, Engineering, Humanities) are all monstrosities of post-war architecture, but as above, the newer buildings are lovely, particularly the "Academic Square" in front of maths. Estates put a lot of effort into the green areas of campus and plants tonnes of plants and flowers all over the place which, imo, keep even the dourer bits of campus looking pretty year-round.
skipp
and there were ducks :smile:

Oh the ducks are so :h:

Basically the consensus is that if you don't do Computer Science or Maths, the buildings are rubbish. I just love the bathroom tiling on the outside walls of the library and humanities.
Reply 14
TheTallOne
Oh the ducks are so :h:

Basically the consensus is that if you don't do Computer Science or Maths, the buildings are rubbish. I just love the bathroom tiling on the outside walls of the library and humanities.

Ducks :h:

That's certainly the most interesting reason I've ever heard for liking a uni :giggle:

But ye Warwick's not that bad, they just got built at a time when buildings tended to be ugly
Reply 15
tkwan196
no its ugly, one of the reasons i picked lufbra over it. i still remember in my "interview" (as they call it):

interviewer: what do you think of our campus?
me: its not bad but i think Imperial looked a lot better

1 week later: offer

I think that you probably made a great decision. Loughborough has an excellent name for Engineering - it's probably its strongest subject. I bet some have picked it over Imperial in fact. If Warwick had been equal in quality to Loughborough for Engineering then Warwick would have probably asked for AAA purely because of how highly it's ranked overall as a university, not that Loughborough isn't also highly ranked.

Mind you, Leicester's probably prettier and more going on (except for sport) but I acknowledge that it's not as highly ranked for Engineering.
It's as architecturally brilliant as a rat's testicle.
Warwick is so so pretty! I'm here right now, looking out my window there's a field with lots of blossom trees and four ducks waddling by quacking. The buildings are quite ugly I suppose, but on the inside the facilities are excellent and really the campus is just a blip on the surrounding landscape, so if you turn around from wherever you are on campus you will see countryside, and there's trees everywhere anyway. Ok I'm getting a little nostalgic about Warwick now, probs cos I leave in a month :frown: Actually love it here.
Reply 18
Some pictures would be nice..
Reply 19
Warwick's luvverly. Some of the buildings are a bit bland but they tend to be light and low-rise, so it actually avoids some of the oppressive feel of some of the sixties unis (and some of the sixties bits of older unis). Also the buildings are really well-kept and maintained. There's loads of greenery around, and lakes and trees and flowers and stuff. It's far and away the nicest of the sixties campus unis.

Latest

Trending

Trending