The Student Room Group

IB Physics Question (Poor Teacher - Help!)

This is a rather strange question, and probably a really poor time to be asking it. Essentially, our IB Physics HL teacher decided not to teach us any options as we had "run out of time". She's a very poor teacher in general, and honestly didn't cover most of the material that we need to know. However, I think this is stepping a bit over the boundaries.

I took it upon myself to learn two options, but I'm certain others haven't. Basically, what I'm looking to know is: Is she actually allowed to just flat out refuse to teach us two of the options? We've spent many class periods doing very little work so I'm certain time wasn't a factor in the decision. Even if it was, she is a teacher, it is her job to plan her lessons accordingly. So, is there anything definitive as to whether this is appropriate or not?

Help. :frown: I'd really like to get something done about this if possible, because even though students could take it upon themselves to properly prepare themselves, I'm not sure that's fair.
Reply 1
Whatever the case may be, I'm pretty sure it'd be in your best interest to be studying like crazy allthesame. It's great that you took that initiative since your teacher seems like a slacker, but I don't know what your school would say to you if you decided to complain to them about this problem. So just do your best and hope it's worth it!
Reply 2
Gather everyone in the class and go complain to a higher authority?
Reply 3
I mentioned this to my IB Coordinator and she said she wasn't exactly familiar with all of the nuances of the science curricula, so I was just trying to get other opinions from people who may (for one reason or another) know the actual stance on this.

But yeah, I plan to bring it to the attention of the administration because I don't think it's fair at all.
Reply 4
Paper 3 of the IBDP Physics HL exam concerns the options only. So it would be a good thing to try and learn atleast something from two of the options. Usually the options are easy ways to score points, as each option should be taught in 10 hours.
Broad topics covered in 10 hours means that it's only the basics.

As one third of the exam concerns the options I'd say that your teacher is of the really bad kind.

Complain to your IB Coordinator. Repeatedly.
cairfae
This is a rather strange question, and probably a really poor time to be asking it. Essentially, our IB Physics HL teacher decided not to teach us any options as we had "run out of time". She's a very poor teacher in general, and honestly didn't cover most of the material that we need to know. However, I think this is stepping a bit over the boundaries.

I took it upon myself to learn two options, but I'm certain others haven't. Basically, what I'm looking to know is: Is she actually allowed to just flat out refuse to teach us two of the options? We've spent many class periods doing very little work so I'm certain time wasn't a factor in the decision. Even if it was, she is a teacher, it is her job to plan her lessons accordingly. So, is there anything definitive as to whether this is appropriate or not?

Help. :frown: I'd really like to get something done about this if possible, because even though students could take it upon themselves to properly prepare themselves, I'm not sure that's fair.

I feel so sorry for you. Your teacher sounds like one lazy person. Just so you know, paper 3 has a big percentage overall on your physics grade, I think like 24%. I'm doing SL so I can't really tell you anything about the options. Your AHL topics are our options. We chose Option A: Sight and Wave Phenomena (we did waves in the core so it wasn't that bad) and Option B: Quantum & Nuclear Physics (again we had nuclear physics for our core so it was a bit like revision).

Well you have a few days left. Just concentrate on what you think are the 2 easiest options. Complain to your IB coordinator. That's all and good luck!
Hmm Im doing AS physics and i have a apethetic teacher who too refuses to teach us. Or attempts to now and then but fails.
Like in your situation, people are being forced to learn big parts of the course yourself.
I personally lack the motivation

but you can try and appeal to higher authorities.
In our case after consistent complaining there has been almost no change. Now and then a senior member of staff will assess this teacher and on those days believe it or not there is a structured lesson!
MAKES ME SO MAD
I'm in Physics HL and that is a very unfortunate occurrence. You better try all kinds of past papers AS SOON AS POSSIBLE! The bad news is, no matter how hard you complain about it, teachers ARE allowed to do this. Certainly doesn't help get good results for the exam, but it's allowed. Complaining at this stage in the game will not take you very far.
I'm currently doing Relativity and Electromagnetic Waves (Options G and H) if you need anything. They are fairly straightforward. I highly recommend you get Physics for the IB Diploma by KA Tsokos ASAP if you want to try and self teach it.

So, here's how you do it:
a) self-teach with Tsokos
b) do Tsokos questions
c) transition to IB questions
d) any gaps you can't fill, get assistance online or by a competent physics teacher so that
e) You pass the exam.
I've been an IB Physics and Math teacher for a bunch of years, and I can tell you that the teacher is indeed supposed to cover all of the topics. However, if they didn't, there's not much you can do at the moment. Yes, you can complain lots and you have a right to be upset, but it won't help you for your exams next week.

So as for options to look at, you really will need to learn two of them. You mentioned you're in an HL class, so you need to make sure you pick an option for HL (obviously! - you'd be surprised how many students make that mistake!). The relativity option is pretty interesting, and the Tsokos book does a decent job. The option my students like the best is always Astrophysics. It's very straightforward and they usually do very well!

You can check out http://tutoring.dk/physics.html for a set of notes and stuff that I gave to my students. These are complete sets of class notes from Physics SL and for Physics HL.

I've taken two years off to study for my M.Sc. so the notes are from last year and the year before. It was the first round of students going through this newest curriculum, and so my students didn't have many past exams that they could look at. They took their exams in May 2009 and they did really well (there were mostly 6 and 7s - they worked really hard!). In any case, hopefully the set of class notes, along with some hard work can help you out. Good luck next week!

Cheers,

Mitch
Mitch's videos and downloads are amazing. I highly recommend them to all HLs and SLs struggling out there.
Reply 10
Thanks very much everyone. Mitch, your notes are very, very helpful. My teacher didn't give us notes of any sort at all through the year - she essentially just sat there with the textbook and attempted to reiterate it to us. In all honesty, she knows the material, she's just very poor at helping the class understand it as well.

Hoping I do at least decently on this; if not, I won't let myself get too worked up over it.

Latest

Trending

Trending