The Student Room Group

Course confusion :(

I'm hoping to do the Modern Languages and European Studies (Politics) course at Birmingham. I was initially going to do a 50/50 split - so half my credits on Politics, and half on one language (French, which you need to have taken to A level). I mainly wanted to do this too because I really like the range of politics modules on offer, and would rather my degree was "French and Politics" in equal measure, tbh, and I don't want to miss out on the different modules (I think it's three 20-credit modules for each).

HOWEVER, you can also do two languages in this degree. So, since you need a total of 120 credits, it'd be a 40/40/40 split with just 40 Politics (so I'd only be doing the two core modules, really). The problem is, I really want to learn another language, like Russian or Italian (but probably Russian). So yeah, it's just not possible if I want to do French and Politics as a degree as a 50/50 split rather than less emphasis on the European Studies. I know that for each language, there are other modules on the history, politics, culture and society etc., but it's not the same as what the Politics + International Studies department is offering.

I know it's up to me in the end, but do you lot reckon that if I stuck with my French and Politics degree, but perhaps learnt Russian as extra, that'd look better in terms of individual motivation? As I say, I'd really love to learn the language, but don't want to mess with my 50/50 degree split for it. Thanks in advance to anyone for reading.
Reply 1
Stressworthy
I'm hoping to do the Modern Languages and European Studies (Politics) course at Birmingham. I was initially going to do a 50/50 split - so half my credits on Politics, and half on one language (French, which you need to have taken to A level). I mainly wanted to do this too because I really like the range of politics modules on offer, and would rather my degree was "French and Politics" in equal measure, tbh, and I don't want to miss out on the different modules (I think it's three 20-credit modules for each).

HOWEVER, you can also do two languages in this degree. So, since you need a total of 120 credits, it'd be a 40/40/40 split with just 40 Politics (so I'd only be doing the two core modules, really). The problem is, I really want to learn another language, like Russian or Italian (but probably Russian). So yeah, it's just not possible if I want to do French and Politics as a degree as a 50/50 split rather than less emphasis on the European Studies. I know that for each language, there are other modules on the history, politics, culture and society etc., but it's not the same as what the Politics + International Studies department is offering.

I know it's up to me in the end, but do you lot reckon that if I stuck with my French and Politics degree, but perhaps learnt Russian as extra, that'd look better in terms of individual motivation? As I say, I'd really love to learn the language, but don't want to mess with my 50/50 degree split for it. Thanks in advance to anyone for reading.

If you're that keen on keeping you current degree and add an extra language, then go for it. You don't wanna think "what if" if you change for two languages, and if you somehow grow out of interest for Russian, then it will only make it worse. Regarding Russian, I don't know if you have any experience of it, but for your own sake, make sure you stay on top of your work for it, you won't get away with not knowing one topic inside out, especially when it comes to gay things like aspects or verbs of motion :smile:

Have you had a look at the syllabus for the rest of your degree? I remember my first year being really strict and I only had compulsory modules, but this year I got 20 free credits, managed to do two modules in Politics, and in my 4th years I can literally be doing Russian language, Arabic language, a dissertation and just Politics, even if it's not actually related to my degree. Maybe you can pick modules in French and Russian Politics in replacement of the civilisation modules as well as the core modules meaning you'd have like 20:20:80 or 40:20:40 or something?
Reply 2
Anatheme
If you're that keen on keeping you current degree and add an extra language, then go for it. You don't wanna think "what if" if you change for two languages, and if you somehow grow out of interest for Russian, then it will only make it worse. Regarding Russian, I don't know if you have any experience of it, but for your own sake, make sure you stay on top of your work for it, you won't get away with not knowing one topic inside out, especially when it comes to gay things like aspects or verbs of motion :smile:

Have you had a look at the syllabus for the rest of your degree? I remember my first year being really strict and I only had compulsory modules, but this year I got 20 free credits, managed to do two modules in Politics, and in my 4th years I can literally be doing Russian language, Arabic language, a dissertation and just Politics, even if it's not actually related to my degree. Maybe you can pick modules in French and Russian Politics in replacement of the civilisation modules as well as the core modules meaning you'd have like 20:20:80 or 40:20:40 or something?

Thanks very much for your help. To be honest, I don't have any experience of Russian at all... it's just always been something I've wanted to learn since studying History GCSE, but I can't say I know enough about it, unfortunately. That's another reason I wouldn't want to mess with my French and Politics degree.

That's a good point about having choice in terms of modules... I don't know if I'd be able to pick up another language though, so I'd probably have to do it extra. I guess it can show for something extracurricular rather than being part of my degree. I'd only be interested in the language modules rather than culture ones etc., anyway.

As I mentioned before, I want to keep a range of politics modules open. It's funny how this happened... I was initially going to do a Law and Politics degree, then just Politics, so all this language stuff has come out of nowhere as extra! Haha, seriously though, I've always loved languages but never planned on studying them as a degree, but I've always been best at/interested in that sort of thing.

Latest

Trending

Trending