The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial Physics UG's

Heyy, so I have a few hours left before I need to send off UCAS unles I want all rejections, and I have some quick last hour questions! =D

1) What's the ratio of international students for the course?

2) Does Imperial have any ties wth the defence industry?

3) What makes it different to UCL?

4) Are the professors there apprachable in thier office hours? Or are they quite withdrawn?

5) Anything you think would help me choose between Imperial and UCL?

6) Is there really an ice hockey society?

Thanks in advance for any replies! =D
Reply 1
Since you only have very little time to wait for a response (and I'm bored), I'll let you know what Computing is like... shouldn't be too different.

1) There are quite a few internationals around. About 1/3 of my class were British (I didn't go around asking Nationalities, so 1/3 looked British. Does not include people like myself who are holding a UK passport but do not look local :p:)

2) I'm not aware of this. If you do a project more related to this area, you might find your sponsors could be from this industry... but I doubt as an UG student, you'll experience any ties with the defence industry.

3) For Computing, it is better than UCL. I've been told that our computing labs are better as well. We're based in South Ken so you're less likely to get stabbed at night. There are no art students.

4) In my experience, I get responses from workaholic professors at 2am... (not saying this is the case for all of them though)

5) Think, after 3-4 years.. do you want a degree from Imperial or UCL. Is the course any different? If so, which would you prefer? As I said earlier, I'm not from Physics, so you're going to have to think about that.

6) Yes. http://www.imperialcollegeunion.org/clubs-and-societies/a-to-z/i/ice-hockey/

:smile:
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
1) Wow 1/3! =/ They aren't i thier own cliques though are they? =$
I hear a lot of rumors down the vines about Imperial's internationals! =p

3) HaHa linking art students to stabbings now, are we? =P But yes, ii do like the idea of being in South Ken.

4) Wowee! Professors that follow sleeping habits of students! Any of them ever just asid, take a break for a lecture and taken a nap? =D

5) Yeaa, the courses so far have seemed very similar, but I'm bending towards Imperial simply because it IS Imperial...

6) Yup, I saw that, but wasn't sure if it was just on the website or it actually existed. Too many times I've seen clubs and what-not advertised, but they never actually exist - just publicity.

Thanks for the reply. =]
Reply 3
1) Cliques inevitably do form, but I've found it doesn't have to be based on ethnicity =)
I know people from all kinds of interesting places around the world, but we share other common interests like hobbies, sports and computing!

4) Haha, not experienced that yet =P

6) I don't know anybody who's in that society, but it is possible to buy membership for it so I would be quite pissed if they didn't really exist!! If you look at contact details, there's an E-mail for a Richard Collins ([email protected]), maybe you could ask him a few questions like how often they practice, etc..
Reply 4
brat91
3) HaHa linking art students to stabbings now, are we? =P But yes, ii do like the idea of being in South Ken.

Suffering from fallacious association disorder are we?
Reply 5
98QEHS
3) For Computing, it is better than UCL. I've been told that our computing labs are better as well. We're based in South Ken so you're less likely to get stabbed at night. There are no art students.

Yeah, I can confirm the labs thing. I went to an open day two years ago as UCL was my insurance and their labs were even worse than my high school's, let alone the ones in Huxley.
Reply 6
Physics is very different.

There are about 10 to 20% international students from Europe and less than 1% from Asia. Most are home students. Each year consists about 250 students. By end of 2nd year you pretty much will get to know most of them and know of the rest.

Latest

Trending

Trending