The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Not acceptable at all. You shouldn't even be using books as a reference after 1st year :frown:.
Nasher and Basher
I only use online journals, so much more easier than reading books, just copy and paste their names into your references.

You can use wikipedia for referencing, if you do it smartly, half of mine is from there and no one has realised it...

You use wikipedia? . . .:/ . . someone from my year group used it, tried to box clever with it, still got caught and lost major marks!

I can't understand why ANYONE would use wikipedia? Yes to read, but to use for academic purposes :nope:.
Reply 22
*Sparkle*
Not acceptable at all. You shouldn't even be using books as a reference after 1st year :frown:.

If you don't mind me asking, why is this? Even some of the books I read for my essays reference other books on the same topic. Books aren't that different to journals are they?! Primary sources are hard to come across sometimes, argh, I'm scared now as I've just handed in an essay that mostly had book and journal references...:eek:
Reply 23
*Sparkle*

You mean textbooks? :curious:
coldwind
If you don't mind me asking, why is this? Even some of the books I read for my essays reference other books on the same topic. Books aren't that different to journals are they?! Primary sources are hard to come across sometimes, argh, I'm scared now as I've just handed in an essay that mostly had book and journal references...:eek:

Well I do bioscience so there's no guarantee that the book is still correct at the time of reading, and the book knowledge should already be in your head from lecture background reading, although it never is :p:
DancinBallerina
You use wikipedia? . . .:/ . . someone from my year group used it, tried to box clever with it, still got caught and lost major marks!

I can't understand why ANYONE would use wikipedia? Yes to read, but to use for academic purposes :nope:.

First off, that person from your year group- lol

My marks have improved since using wikipedia, I USE the references from wikipedia, check those out and look at after articles/journals connected to the initial references. References them 'vancouver' style, and thats my essay done.

Wikipedia the smart way
lalalalalalamember
How can you find electronic journals and how do you exactly reference them? Do you reference them as a webpage or a journal?

:lolwut: GTFO.

coldwind

It's poor practice to regularly reference textbooks in an essay. You need to be going to the original paper. Plus if you use textbooks, the knowledge that you are using is potentially out of date.
Zebrastripes
You lay it out like a journal article, but include the URL and date retrieved and sometimes [Online] depends on the referencing method.

Sorry, but - Nooooo! Reference as a journal. Forget the website. They don't care if it's a journal article. That would be like saying which library you borrowed a book from or whether you bought the book. Like, who cares?!
Nasher and Basher
First off, that person from your year group- lol

My marks have improved since using wikipedia, I USE the references from wikipedia, check those out and look at after articles/journals connected to the initial references. References them 'vancouver' style, and thats my essay done.

Wikipedia the smart way

Ooo I thought you meant you actually referenced wikipedia in your actual work and the bibliography . . . as that is what the dimwit from my uni was doing!!! Ahh yes using references from other sources is what I have done before too - which im sure you are not the only student to do so..

Yes any source that I find **** I look @ the references and use those but not once would I ever dream of putting wiki in my actual essay or bibliography.
Reply 29
Go explore your university's library!
Pick out a load of books from the library! It's quite fun...

Use Wikipedia and others to find journals. You can then simply reference them.
Reply 31
GodspeedGehenna

It's poor practice to regularly reference textbooks in an essay. You need to be going to the original paper. Plus if you use textbooks, the knowledge that you are using is potentially out of date.

Yes, this makes perfect sense. I meant books as in the old things that line the shelves of the library, rather than textbooks. Fail on my part

Also, I think the problem is that science degrees need up to date info whereas in arts subjects historical books rarely go out of date :p:
No worries
Reply 32
You will need to demonstrate the same critical judgement as for paper based sources. The only problem is that online materials have not been through any type of peer review process, unless they are scholarly articles. The use of academic journals and databases are fine. It can even be a way of getting research that has not been published as a book yet. I had to produce an assignment in my first year about different theology syllabuses, so it depends partly on the type of assessment as well.
coldwind
Yes, this makes perfect sense. I meant books as in the old things that line the shelves of the library, rather than textbooks. Fail on my part

Also, I think the problem is that science degrees need up to date info whereas in arts subjects historical books rarely go out of date :p:
No worries

Their interpretation does.

Latest