The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Hey, just came across this question, but I would recommend doing either, or both - AQA Computing A Level and AQA ICT A Level. I'm sure with enough practice you could get good grades in them! - Also they are regarded very highly, allowing you to get into University. Hope this helps!
Reply 2
If your looking at getting a computing alevel so you can goto university and do computer science, it's probably worth knowing that the universities i visited (Sheffield-Firm, Loughborough-Insurance, Warwick, Birmingham, Leicester) weren't bothered about a computing/ICT alevel because some schools don't offer them so it would not be fair on students who hadn't had the opportunity. I just got the impression that it wasn't really going to influence their decision in any way. It should be noted that the universities offering computer science courses with grade requirement above BBB tend to require maths.

In general the new OCR course i've taken is rather easy if you already have an interest in computers and know the basics of programming.
Reply 3
Ditto on the maths. I've talked to several uni students.

The more maths you do the easier it will be in the end..

bottom line, if you don't like maths. don't go to uni to do computing.
Reply 4
MickyT
Ditto on the maths. I've talked to several uni students.

The more maths you do the easier it will be in the end..

bottom line, if you don't like maths. don't go to uni to do computing.

Can't exactly say that. Lots of the programming will require a general maths knowledge, and some of the theory is maths based, but, like me, I don't really enjoy the subject of maths, but in computing terms is so much easier and much more interesting. and im sure you could be successful at computer science (and the like) if you didn't like maths previously.

Latest

Trending

Trending