The Student Room Group

Alpha Beta roots of a Quadratic equation

I'm very sorry, but my textbook doesn't cover this, and when I googled it I'm getting some simple explanations but nothing super helpful. My notes from when I did this over two years ago aren't very clear, and none of my friend's have notes any clearer from when I asked them. I was wondering if someone can help me elucidate them.

again, I'm really, REALLY sorry for having to do this, but asking on here seems to be my last resort.

Lets say that a quadratic equation has roots α2\alpha^2 and β2\beta^2 .

The product of the roots will be α2β2\alpha^2\beta^2.
Would that mean that the product is (αβ)2(\alpha \beta )^2?

The sum would then be α2+β2=(α+β)22αβ\alpha^2 + \beta^2 = (\alpha + \beta)^2 - 2\alpha\beta?

Are those correct?

Also, I'm clueless about what to do if α3\alpha^3 and β3 \beta^3
come as roots. I know the product will be (α +β)3(\alpha\ +\beta)^3
but the sum comes out as something seemingly unusable.

for example I say (α+β)3=α3+β3+3α2β+3αβ2+2αβ(\alpha + \beta)^3= \alpha^3 + \beta^3 + 3\alpha^2\beta+3\alpha\beta^2+2\alpha\beta

Soo would that make α3+β3=(α+β)3αβ(3(α+β)+2)\alpha ^3 + \beta^3= (\alpha + \beta)^3-\alpha\beta(3(\alpha+\beta)+2)???

What were the general equations used for these? And are there any more of these equations I need to learn in order to tackle these questions?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The top two points seem fine, no problems there. Not sure entirely what context this is being used in - what level are you studying at? Your working for the (alpha + beta)^3 seems to be correct as well, if that's all you are trying to show.
EDIT: Sorry, I was pretty tired when I wrote that. As glutamic acid says there was a problem with your expansion of (α+β)3(\alpha+\beta)^3
Reply 2
A-levels.

This is mainly the sum and product roots of equations but honestly, we only skimmed it.
(α+β)3=α3+3α2β+3αβ2+β3    α3+β3=(α+β)33αβ(α+β)(\alpha + \beta)^3 = \alpha^3 + 3 \alpha^2 \beta + 3 \alpha \beta^2 + \beta^3 \implies \alpha^3 + \beta^3 = (\alpha + \beta)^3 - 3 \alpha \beta ( \alpha + \beta), but otherwise you have the right idea.
Reply 4
Ooooh. I totally multiplied that out wrong. Thanks for that. But it's good to see I have the right idea now.

Well, I know how to use 1α\frac{1}{\alpha} and 1β\frac{1}{\beta} as roots. I am honestly not sure if there are other variations that I should be aware of.

Now I am looking at my syllabus and I see that we need to know it for cubic equations as well! Our teacher NEVER went over cubics! T_T And it's not in our god forsaken textbook T_T

Well I know for quadratics

α+β=ba\alpha+\beta= \frac{-b}{a}

and αβ=ca\alpha\beta= \frac{c}{a}

so that's ax2a(α+β)+a(αβ)ax^2-a(\alpha+\beta)+a(\alpha\beta)

But how does this work out for a cubic?
Let's suppose our cubic equation is ax3+bx2+cx+d=0ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d = 0, and writing the roots as (xα)(xβ)(xγ)=0(x-\alpha)(x - \beta)(x - \gamma) = 0 we get the desired relations:

Spoiler

Indeed this generalizes to polynomials of any degree, and are known as Viète's formulas.
Reply 6
I have to thank you soooo much. I can't even properly express my gratitude. I doubt they'd be cruel enough to give us cubed roots to cubic equations either, but I'll try them out myself later.

Also, thanks for the article. I'll study it in more detail.

Again, big thanks. This was a topic we really didn't go into at all and I think I'm getting it better now.
Reply 7
well i know what i'll be doing at school today
If \alpha, \beta are the roots of 2x^2 + 3x 4 = 0, calculate the numerical values of \alpha^3-\beta^3? Can someone help me with this?
danieltan1995
If \alpha, \beta are the roots of 2x^2 + 3x 4 = 0, calculate the numerical values of \alpha^3-\beta^3? Can someone help me with this?

have yound found the roots of the quadratic firstly?
helppp whats alpha^3 -beta^3??
Original post by Lexie2812
helppp whats alpha^3 -beta^3??

Start with (αβ)3 (\alpha - \beta)^3 and expand and rearrange for α3β3 \alpha^3 - \beta^3
Reply 12
Which exam board are you doing. I know that for AQA in FP1 they only ask about roots related to coefficients of quadratics but in FP2 they ask about cubics aswell.
Reply 13
Just like to add, you should never feel ashamed or shy about asking questions. Hope you got the help you need. Come back soon if you do get stuck!
Hello guys, I just started doing Further Maths and I got a homework from page 10, exercise 1C from the book FP1, it would be really helpful if you could help me out with these as I am struggling very hard:
given the roots of equation 3x^2 - 6x +1 =0 are \alpha , \beta , find equation with integer coefficients whose roots are \alpha*\beta^2 and \alpha^2 *\beta.
Please guys help me out, I need to understand how to do those :frown:(
Reply 15
Original post by Michael Boom
Hello guys, I just started doing Further Maths and I got a homework from page 10, exercise 1C from the book FP1, it would be really helpful if you could help me out with these as I am struggling very hard:
given the roots of equation 3x^2 - 6x +1 =0 are \alpha , \beta , find equation with integer coefficients whose roots are \alpha*\beta^2 and \alpha^2 *\beta.
Please guys help me out, I need to understand how to do those :frown:(

The sum of the new roots is αβ(α+β) \alpha \beta (\alpha +\beta ) and the product of the new roots is α3β3 \alpha ^3 \beta ^3 .
You already know the values of α+β \alpha + \beta and αβ \alpha \beta .
I see you've digged out quite an old thread there.
(edited 7 years ago)
given the equation 2x^2 3x-4=0, when required to find a^3-b^3;
a b=-3/2
ab=-2
a^3-b^3=(a-b)[(a b)^2-ab]
but (a-b) cannot be found directly, we therefore make use of the relationship: (a-b)^2=(a b)^2-4ab
=41/4
a-b is therefore = /- (rt41)/2
a^3-b^3 =17rt41/8
Original post by B_9710
The sum of the new roots is αβ(α+β) \alpha \beta (\alpha +\beta ) and the product of the new roots is α3β3 \alpha ^3 \beta ^3 .

Yeah, but there is still a problem with me. I kind of get how you did this one, but the next questions are a bit different and I don't quite get how to do them :frown:(( I am so frustrated that I don't get this.

Ex:
x^2+4x-6=0 with roots ALPHA, Beta. Find equation for roots ALPHA^2 + BETA and BETA^2 + ALPHA. I feel like i'm so lost when the roots change from beta^2 or alpha^3 or when is 1/(over)b^2 etc...
Original post by B_9710

Thank you very much for the answer but, I don't really know how to use those roots to create the equation, I tried but the result in the back of the book is way different to what I was getting when trying to plug the roots into equation. Please help me :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Women prefer Alpha roots, if you're a Beta root you're invisible.

Quick Reply

Latest